Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Toon Lagoon

Record temps this week. Never been this hot this early. Heat index of 106 in Daytona today. We better get rain soon or the space coast is gonna burst into flames.
Rain coming this week. It rained in the villages today as we were trying to have a Memorial Day picnic.

The Toon Extra penny press machine has new designs with the faces of Popeye, Olive Oyl, and Bluto (who is mislabeled as Brutus).

Looking at Google Maps that theatre area doesn't really provide a lot of space.
Strictly speaking to the space currently held by the theater, you're correct. However, I took a look at Spider-Man's show building for reference (it's a lot bigger than I thought, actually); if the land developers and Creative so chose, you could place a show building in place of the theater that, edge-to-edge between Spider-Man and Comic Strip Cafe, would be about as big as Spider-Man's, if not a little smaller to account for breathing room.

Waldo has only been mentioned for KZ... I find it surprising no one has mentioned it here. Waldo would fit well with the theme of Toon Lagoon, I think even better than SLoP.

My vote is for an MIB style Waldo ride with water guns instead of lasers. Perhaps splashing all the waldo impostors. Riders may get wet.

Strictly speaking to the space currently held by the theater, you're correct. However, I took a look at Spider-Man's show building for reference (it's a lot bigger than I thought, actually); if the land developers and Creative so chose, you could place a show building in place of the theater that, edge-to-edge between Spider-Man and Comic Strip Cafe, would be about as big as Spider-Man's, if not a little smaller to account for breathing room.

Since that's been a discussed location for Off the Leash if they decide to bring it over here, I've been curious about that. It could also go in Shrek but maybe that location needs to have a wall in between the theatres? Then again it had Hitchcock previously.

Last edited:
Waldo has only been mentioned for KZ... I find it surprising no one has mentioned it here. Waldo would fit well with the theme of Toon Lagoon, I think even better than SLoP.

My vote is for an MIB style Waldo ride with water guns instead of lasers. Perhaps splashing all the waldo impostors. Riders may get wet.
That'd be fun, but the problem of corporate blah-blah comes into play; unlike, say, She-Ra, which is perpetually relevant due to its streaming status, and SLoP, which is simply an evergreen IP in Universal's eyes, Waldo may not be on the grounds of it being a show on Universal Kids, on cable.

They own the character, that's no problem; the problem is whether this incarnation of the character will stick around long enough to warrant a ride.

And the size of the theatre just by itself is about the same as Cat in the Hat's show building!

I do definitely think Universal should take a greater advantage of their newer animated IPs; Jay Ward and the King Features crew won't be in the public's consciousness forever; Voltron, Waldo, and She-Ra might.

Thanks to DreamWorks Universal owns the Jay Ward stuff.
This much I know; even still, how many people still are vividly aware of these characters?

I imagine that, when IoA first launched, many parents who brought their kids to the park grew up on those shorts; now, I hazard a guess that the closest kids get to them is the Peabody and Sherman movie and maybe Amazon's Rocky and Bullwinkle.

What I'm saying is, if this war between Universal and Disney Parks is Orlando's answer to the Monday Night Wars, adding Voltron, et al. may be like WCW adding cruiserweights to their show: something different that audiences may not associate with the current product, nor know that they really want it until they see it in action.

The difference between the Monday Night Wars and this theme park war is that, unlike the former, neither party is truly in danger of being driven out of business. It's just up to the two to outdo one another successively.

May the best park win.

Last edited:
Just a thought: of the King/Hearst characters Universal can use for a meet-and-greet, why not Flash Gordon or The Phantom? They're interesting, visually appealing characters that are represented in the land, so why aren't they around in the flesh?