Universal Orlando August 1 Press Conference | Page 47 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando August 1 Press Conference

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So while we have less than 11 hours to go before the big official announcement...

I think it's important to take another look back at how we got here, this time specifically with Nintendo.

Nintendo was reporting losses, in large part due to a failing console, also due to a surging yen. But either way, they had to take action. One of their major decisions was to license their IPs.

Nintendo is preparing to ramp up its merchandising - Business Insider

If not for a failing Wii U and a surging yen, we may not have gotten SNW at Universal.

It’s been hinted this is universal’s largest park, so probably the second or third largest besides DAK and Epcot.

It would have to be more than 176 acres to be larger than Tokyo Disney Sea. DHS is still bigger than the theme park portion of Universal Studios Beijing by 5 acres. So unless this park is over 130 acres it will be smaller than 3 Disney parks and the largest Universal park.

So while we have less than 11 hours to go before the big official announcement...

I think it's important to take another look back at how we got here, this time specifically with Nintendo.

Nintendo was reporting losses, in large part due to a failing console, also due to a surging yen. But either way, they had to take action. One of their major decisions was to license their IPs.

Nintendo is preparing to ramp up its merchandising - Business Insider

If not for a failing Wii U and a surging yen, we may not have gotten SNW at Universal.

Good thing Universal bought before the Switch took off.

It would have to be more than 176 acres to be larger than Tokyo Disney Sea. DHS is still bigger than the theme park portion of Universal Studios Beijing by 5 acres. So unless this park is over 130 acres it will be smaller than 3 Disney parks and the largest Universal park.

I have to really question the sizes of TDS and even DHS. If you take out USB's lagoon, then you have to take out all the water at TDS, and
tons of back of house buildings at DHS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: truejonas
Honestly, size matters less to me. In my opinion, it's all about detail and substance. Disneyland, in my opinion, is still one of the best parks on the planet despite it's size due to it's immense collection of attractions which are, with a few exceptions, all of high quality.

Besides, smaller parks usually means less walking distance and a lower chance that i'll come out of the park with burning feet.
:fire::fire::fire:

Honestly, size matters less to me. In my opinion, it's all about detail and substance. Disneyland, in my opinion, is still one of the best parks on the planet despite it's size due to it's immense collection of attractions which are, with a few exceptions, all of high quality.

Besides, smaller parks usually means less walking distance and a lower chance that i'll come out of the park with burning feet.
:fire::fire::fire:
But the thing is we already know this park is gonna be pretty big just based on the land they acquired.

Just a reminder - with the anticipation of some "EPIC" news coming up - we are anticipating some adjustments that will be needed on the forums, specifically in regards to categories and sub-forums. We ask that you please allow the mods to handle the creation of new threads when the news drops as we have a plan in place. Thanks!

I have to really question the sizes of TDS and even DHS. If you take out USB's lagoon, then you have to take out all the water at TDS, and
tons of back of house buildings at DHS.

I’m not sure about Beijing, but I’d think you need to keep lagoons in. TDS, for example, uses their Lagoon in every conceivable fashion. Nighttime show, daytime shows (crazy pirate show going on all summer as an example), transportation to other lands via boat, theming, etc. It’s basically a huge themed stage for them.
If Beijing does even half of what TDS in their Lagoon, it’d be wrong to exclude it.

What time for California when universal Orlando do there announcement

10am eastern.
9am central.
8am mountain.
7am west coast.

Last edited:
But the thing is we already know this park is gonna be pretty big just based on the land they acquired.

I mean... Yeah. That's true. I'm not saying that Fantastic Worlds shouldn't be big. Honestly, i think that's the best option for this kind of park. If they are gonna take the route i think they're gonna take, then i'd want them to have as much space as possible.

It's just that, in the brief moment where this thread became a size measuring contest, i just wanted to give acknowledgement to the little guy. :grin:

I’m not sure about Beijing, but I’d think you need to keep lagoons in. TDS, for example, uses their Lagoon in every conceivable fashion. Nighttime show, daytime shows (crazy pirate show going on all summer as an example), transportation to other lands via boat, theming, etc. It’s basically a huge themed stage for them.
If Beijing does even half of what TDS in their Lagoon, it’d be wrong to exclude it.

I mean, if Universal didn't do anything with the big lagoon they're building, I honestly wouldn't be surprised. I'm still absolutely dumbfounded on why IOA's lagoon, it's major geographical feature, is used for absolute squat.

I mean, a nighttime show in that lagoon seems like an absolute gold mind of an idea that for some reason remains untapped. Not to derail the thread but does anyone know why Universal hasn't done anything with the IOA lagoon yet? Is it something on a technical level that i just don't know of?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HPFred
NBC affiliates and your local NBC station all are mentioning the big park announcement later....so far I"ve seen three local NBC stations mentioning the announcement today (Wavy10 NBC-Hampton Roads Virginia, NBC6 Miami Dade, Local4 NBC-Detroit)

NBC affiliates and your local NBC station all are mentioning the big park announcement later....so far I"ve seen three local NBC stations mentioning the announcement today (Wavy10 NBC-Hampton Roads Virginia, NBC6 Miami Dade, Local4 NBC-Detroit)

Do any of these stations do a live stream?

Status
Not open for further replies.