Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I havent seen any discussion on the Virgin train from the airport. The last question from the press conference was about the train and how much Universal is pushing to get it to have a stop at the OCCC/Universal before going to Disney. Tom Williams seemed frustrated while talking about this topic. I remember reading something about Disney pushing to have it go directly to their property from the airport. Does anyone have any info on this?
I think having a stop at Universal and the OCCC first would be a real game changer for Universals growth. Especially if they figure out an efficient way to transport guests between the two campuses.

PS sorry if this in the wrong thread.

Disney has always been a pain in the butt when it comes to a train being built in Central Florida. They have always wanted a stop... but only for them. Every proposal that has had a Universal/I-Drive stop has had Disney be real annoying and petty.

Tom said a really valid point on how Orlando is one of the largest convention hosting cities, and making it easier for attendees to get from the airport and to the convention center is a plus for everyone.

Universal really seems to like dragons.

-Dueling Dragons
-The Dragon featured in Diagon Alley
-How To Train Your Dragon

Dragons galore!
So about including How to Train Your Dragon...

If I worked for Universal research (Marketing /Creative), I would be sure to explain to leadership that dragons have entered popular culture much more recently, especially with adults due to GOT.

HTTYD-land benefits heavily off of Game of Thrones' success.
I havent seen any discussion on the Virgin train from the airport. The last question from the press conference was about the train and how much Universal is pushing to get it to have a stop at the OCCC/Universal before going to Disney. Tom Williams seemed frustrated while talking about this topic. I remember reading something about Disney pushing to have it go directly to their property from the airport. Does anyone have any info on this?
I think having a stop at Universal and the OCCC first would be a real game changer for Universals growth. Especially if they figure out an efficient way to transport guests between the two campuses.

I loved his passion when speaking about this. Sounds like it's something they're pushing hard for, and guessing they have the power and weight of Orlando behind them as well.

Gov was there in same room, so could be possible that Tom puts some pressure on him to join in the fight.

The fact that Tom was saying this would only be a stop, and wouldn't interfere with a line to Disney and Tampa, makes me feel like this is a firm possibility.

If done this would be huge not only for Universal, OCCC, and driving up business along I-drive, but also huge for alleviating Floridians' traffic issues.

Last edited:
The fact that Tom was saying this would only be a stop, and wouldn't interfere with a line to Disney and Tampa, makes me feel like this is a firm possibility.

If done this would be huge not only for Universal, OCCC, and driving up business along I-drive, but also huge for alleviating Floridians' traffic issues.

I've heard 528 already has the right-of-ways. And there of space either for a common stop at Destination Parkway/Universal Blvd, or one right at the new hotel, another by OCCC itself. (There's an OCCC parking lot on Destination that practically screams "reserved for a train station.") I think OIA-EW-OCCC is a lot easier than OIA-WDW. And you'd have local power broker Harris Rosen pushing hard for this behind the scenes, because it would be a station right outside at least two of his hotels, and the hospitality school with his name on it.

The short version is that Virgin doesn't want to do it because it's expensive.

The southern route straight to Disney goes along 417, which has a median they can lay tracks in, while the northern option to OCCC goes along 528, which has no space left in its median. This means that the northern (OCCC) option basically requires building a 10 mile long bridge along 528, adding about 500 million to the construction cost compared to the direct to Disney option. That's around what it would cost for any MCO-OCCC fixed rail transit, and I don't believe that Virgin Trains wants to be in the business of bringing people from the airport to I-drive. I personally think it is unlikely they choose the OCCC routing unless Orange County (or Universal) kick in a large portion of the money required to build it.

If they choose to go along 417, I hope they at least consider adding a spur from Disney to OCCC along I-4 that would allow them to run local service on a MCO-Sunrail-Disney-OCCC routing. It would have a longer travel time to OCCC (~35 minutes), but could still provide a one seat ride from the airport to convention center, and would have a much lower build cost.

Reactions: OrlLover and RFRees
I personally think it is unlikely they choose the OCCC routing unless Orange County (or Universal) kick in a large portion of the money required to build it.
Great post.

About the quote above, they could see it as an investment so I could see that happening. I could see both Universal and Orange kicking in the money.

I also don't get the nervousness about the IPs. When IoA opened the only relevant, popular IP it had was Jurassic Park. Marvel was on the verge of bankruptcy, Toon Lagoon is...Toon Lagoon, Lost Continent was original, and Seuss was cute, but nothing to set the world on fire.

IDK how How To Train Your Dragon is worse than freakin' funny pages comic strips, or how more Harry Potter is a worse choice than the Greek Gods filtered through Power Rangers.

HTTYD isn't worse, but we would all agree TL is horrible theming, probably has anemic merch sales, and the rides are fun, but pale in comparison to Disney's offerings. The RIDES are better, but the themes are not (well, Kali is pretty bad too). I'm hoping this park has great rides and themes.

I'm afraid HTTYD will be a fairly dead IP in 4 years. Just like SLoP. Disney gets enough crazoid fans that will buy anything, like 50 dollar toys that sit on their shoulder that are essentially worthless once you get home. I don't think Universal has the hardcore fans like that. Disney can sell $30 Brer Rabbit plush, but I'm not sure Toothless stuff will sell well.

Monsters, Nintendo, and of course Potter, will sell merch like crazy if done right.

And Spidey was always a top tier superhero, with an absolute landmark movie in development hell, which was a risk, but Spidey was a fantastic character to take a risk on.

Reactions: fryoj
HTTYD isn't worse, but we would all agree TL is horrible theming, probably has anemic merch sales, and the rides are fun, but pale in comparison to Disney's offerings. The RIDES are better, but the themes are not (well, Kali is pretty bad too). I'm hoping this park has great rides and themes.

I'm afraid HTTYD will be a fairly dead IP in 4 years. Just like SLoP. Disney gets enough crazoid fans that will buy anything, like 50 dollar toys that sit on their shoulder that are essentially worthless once you get home. I don't think Universal has the hardcore fans like that. Disney can sell $30 Brer Rabbit plush, but I'm not sure Toothless stuff will sell well.

Monsters, Nintendo, and of course Potter, will sell merch like crazy if done right.

And Spidey was always a top tier superhero, with an absolute landmark movie in development hell, which was a risk, but Spidey was a fantastic character to take a risk on.

A good land is a good land, no matter what the IP is based on. Dragons is a universal concept that works well without an IP attached in the first place. HTTYD will be fine, so can we stop arguing over this please?

Can you have too many launch coasters though? Once this park opens, UOR will have a total of 7:

-Hulk
-Mummy
-Gringotts
-Hagrid’s
-Velocicoaster
-Dueling Launch Coaster 1
-Dueling Launch Coaster 2

And that’s assuming neither Donkey Kong nor the coaster for Dragons isn’t launched. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of variety.

With most being indoor coasters, or subject to height restrictions, launched coaster make sense. Disney doesn't build high thrill coasters often. And when they do, RnRC, GotG, they're launched.

A good land is a good land, no matter what the IP is based on. Dragons is a universal concept that works well without an IP attached in the first place. HTTYD will be fine, so can we stop arguing over this please?

I don't understand the folks thinking HTTYD is somehow outside of discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at how they painted the Nintendo area, it's pretty obvious they left out a lot of detail on purpose -- the things that gave it away were the round hut like things (donkey kong) and a few of the walls and general placement, since we had the Japan stuff to go by. Otherwise taken alone it's hard to figure out what the left area actually is. The Diagon art isn't trying to hide anything, this one is.
Keep in mind the Diagon Alley artwork is a much smaller area and closer in to the viewer. You get more detail when you zoom in. The EU artwork is zoomed out to show the entire project, so some of the detail is lost. The artist is suggesting things, but the suggestions are based on the real plans.

I've been wondering, but there has been some thought of the hub being like Citywalk and have turnstiles at the entrances to each land. Is his still the case? Or is the hub part of the park now? If the former, how would they handle the rides inside the hub?

Reactions: Coasted
I've been wondering, but there has been some thought of the hub being like Citywalk and have turnstiles at the entrances to each land. Is his still the case? Or is the hub part of the park now? If the former, how would they handle the rides inside the hub?
This just got brought up in the speculation thread as well.

It's possible they allow anyone with a full theme park ticket to go into all worlds and ride all rides, including hub. But if you're there just for the hub, you'd pay per hub ride ($10 per ride on the dueling coaster for example).

But this is just one of many possibilities at this time. I'm hoping they don't sell each world separate, but I don't mind them doing a free hub/pay for coaster thing.

Reactions: allaboutthatchase
This just got brought up in the speculation thread as well.

It's possible they allow anyone with a full theme park ticket to go into all worlds and ride all rides, including hub. But if you're there just for the hub, you'd pay per hub ride ($10 per ride on the dueling coaster for example).

Nope, that's not going to happen. Maybe the hub will be open after hours for free, but the hub won't be free all day long. That's a crowd-control nightmare.

Nope, that's not going to happen. Maybe the hub will be open after hours for free, but the hub won't be free all day long. That's a crowd-control nightmare.
Not sure what you mean. They already have five ticket gates at IOA and USF:
IOA main entrance, USF main entrance, USF side entrance, Hogsmeade Station, London Station. This idea of "free hub" would be 1 less gate.

If they build it I will be there. I know I'm not alone in my love of the series. Dragons are classic. Is the httyd show still on?

The problem with separate admission to the individual areas is that there would be surely unbalanced demand for the IP areas. Universal will want to maximize revenue for the overall park and the best way to do that is one admission for the entirety. Plus it works with AP and multi day tickets deals for the other parks. As @LintemuthStudios says "it's a crowd control nightmare", and it's also a logistics and marketing nightmare to deviate from the present system. Not counting confusing the heck out of the general public.