Hello :) | Inside Universal Forums

Hello :)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 26, 2019
This December will be our 1st visit to UO...We have visited WDW 3 different times over the years, but with our boys getting older (15, 13, 7) and the simply outrageous cost of trying to take a family of 5 to WDW...we are giving UO our 1st shot this year. Everyone in the family is a major Potter fan so that is a big plus to start with. We'll be at Endless for 8 days with 5 day p2p tickets....assuming we are enjoying ourselves, I'm looking to upgrade to APs before our 1st 5 days are up so that we can keep attending the parks on the last few days and plan for a return trip in 2020. I'm always looking for tips and tricks and we typically choose the slower times of year to do these trips in order to have good weather and not have to fight massive crowds (1st week of December for this one) Looking forward to continuing to find great nuggets of info here at IU.

Reactions: belloq87 and Quint
You picked a great time to visit. Ride lines are not very long, for the most part, especially in the mornings, when you're there. You'll want to catch all the Holiday offerings, which are all very good...*Universal/Macy's Parade *Grinchmas *Hogwarts Holiday projection show *Mannheim Steamroller Concert *Blues Brothers Christmas show *Potter area holiday shows..... FJ and Gringotts have their shortest liners in the mornings and the end of the day. Hogwarts Express generally gets a bit crowded between 1 and 4 PM. The special Leaky Cauldron Holiday turkey quick service dinner is delicious,reasonably priced and a large portion. Give it a try. The USF Cinemagic show is also a must do. Get there 20 to 30 minutes before the start to get a good center row viewing spot...The sit down restaurants on CitiWalk are pretty reasonably priced, and just a few dollars more than the quick service restaurants in the park. Everything is so close that it's easy to walk out to CitiWalk for a meal and then to go back into the park. Ride JPRA, Kong, Hulk and Suess Trolley in the dark. They're an even better experience then. Temperatures are all over the map at that time, so take some warm clothes for the days that are chilly. ...Just get AP's to start with if you're coming back in 2020. AP's don't start until the first day that you 'use' them. ...You will be amazed how much more relaxing touring Universal is since everything is so close together.

Last edited:
Reactions: ofhs93
You picked a great time to visit. Ride lines are not very long, for the most part, especially in the mornings, when you're there. You'll want to catch all the Holiday offerings, which are all very good...*Universal/Macy's Parade *Grinchmas *Hogwarts Holiday projection show *Mannheim Steamroller Concert *Blues Brothers Christmas show *Potter area holiday shows..... FJ and Gringotts have their shortest liners in the mornings and the end of the day. Hogwarts Express generally gets a bit crowded between 1 and 4 PM. The special Holiday turkey quick service dinner is delicious,reasonably priced and a large portion. Give it a try. The USF Cinemagic show is also a must do. Get there 20 to 30 minutes before the start to get a good center row viewing spot...The sit down restaurants on CitiWalk are pretty reasonably priced, and just a few dollars more than the quick service restaurants in the park. Everything is so close that it's easy to walk out to CitiWalk for a meal and then to go back into the park. Ride JPRA, Kong, Hulk and Suess Trolley in the dark. They're an even better experience then. Temperatures are all over the map at that time, so take some warm clothes for the days that are chilly. ...Just get AP's to start with if you're coming back in 2020. AP's don't start until the first day that you 'use' them. ...You will be amazed how much more relaxing touring Universal is since everything is so close together.

Really happy to read all of this...I *did* do my homework as far as choosing when to come...I knew we would be there for more than just the typical 3-4 day visit that a lot of people do and I wanted to make sure to find a time when there were plenty of things going on while still not having to fight off the hordes of the busy season. I'm *really* looking forward to this trip :) I feel like that week after Thanksgiving weekend should be just about the best time to be able to get all of those elements to come together. *Maybe* there is a slower week in Jan, Feb or Sept...but the combination of extra "magic" that you get with the Xmas season and all of the extra perks that come along with that time....combined with the relative low crowds of that week and the very reasonable weather (I see you are from the Burgh...we are coming down from the Scranton area so 70-75 will be a luxury lol) seemed to make the most sense for me. I will absolutely take all of those recommendations into account. I DO like to kind of plan out the day to a certain extent if possible...so it's good to get peoples opinions on when to ride things and experience certain attractions.

Question...do they serve the Turkey meal in the same family fashion as the "Feast" or is it just a single person meal kind of thing? I had planned on getting a Preferred AP for myself to take advantage of the 10% food and merch discounts as well...I'm 100% certain that we will be purchasing at least a cpl of interactive wands lol. Looking forward to a little interaction with the Grinch...the videos I've seen of him are quite hilarious...I can't think of a better potential family Christmas card shot lol. Mannheim also looking forward to as well :)

You are suggesting to just upgrade to AP as soon as we get into the park on day 1? I was thinking it might make more sense to wait until the last day of the 5 day just in case we decide to come back the same week next year (although the week *before* the TGiving holiday is perhaps more likely....finances always play a major role...when are flights reasonable ect) And yes...I AM very much looking forward to NOT having to be nearly as regimented with the touring plans and meal timing as we have had to be with WDW.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Really happy to read all of this...I *did* do my homework as far as choosing when to come...I knew we would be there for more than just the typical 3-4 day visit that a lot of people do and I wanted to make sure to find a time when there were plenty of things going on while still not having to fight off the hordes of the busy season. I'm *really* looking forward to this trip :) I feel like that week after Thanksgiving weekend should be just about the best time to be able to get all of those elements to come together. *Maybe* there is a slower week in Jan, Feb or Sept...but the combination of extra "magic" that you get with the Xmas season and all of the extra perks that come along with that time....combined with the relative low crowds of that week and the very reasonable weather (I see you are from the Burgh...we are coming down from the Scranton area so 70-75 will be a luxury lol) seemed to make the most sense for me. I will absolutely take all of those recommendations into account. I DO like to kind of plan out the day to a certain extent if possible...so it's good to get peoples opinions on when to ride things and experience certain attractions.

Question...do they serve the Turkey meal in the same family fashion as the "Feast" or is it just a single person meal kind of thing? I had planned on getting a Preferred AP for myself to take advantage of the 10% food and merch discounts as well...I'm 100% certain that we will be purchasing at least a cpl of interactive wands lol. Looking forward to a little interaction with the Grinch...the videos I've seen of him are quite hilarious...I can't think of a better potential family Christmas card shot lol. Mannheim also looking forward to as well :)

You are suggesting to just upgrade to AP as soon as we get into the park on day 1? I was thinking it might make more sense to wait until the last day of the 5 day just in case we decide to come back the same week next year (although the week *before* the TGiving holiday is perhaps more likely....finances always play a major role...when are flights reasonable ect) And yes...I AM very much looking forward to NOT having to be nearly as regimented with the touring plans and meal timing as we have had to be with WDW.
AP I guess would depend on how the dates worked out next year. I thought you'd be coming back sooner when I first replied....Anyway, we go to Universal for 10 or more nights twice a year, and we thought the dec. vacation with all the holiday stuff made it the BEST Universal vacation we ever had. We got lucky and there were a few days in the mid 80's so we got some pool time in to. We spent a ton of time in Seuss Landing for the first time ever since they transform it into an immersive Christmas so well. They even have the cast of the show (which they do on a soundstage) come out and populate the area like the Citizens of Hollywood used to do in full force in DHS before the cast cuts. Most of USF has Christmas music playing the whole day so the mood is set well. Get a spot 30 to 45 minutes in front of Macy's for the holiday Parade. They do the show stop scenes there and the giant Christmas tree is right across the street. Good photo ops with the stiltwalking elves....and the Rockettes....at various times of the day at the tree. The Turkey holiday dinner is an individual order, so if other family members don't want that they can order something else. Yes, put all your orders on one bill so you get the discount. We're going the week before Thanksgiving this year to both WDW & Universal. That should have slow to moderate crowds too....You won't need Express passes during your week since lines aren't too long. Unlike Disney, almost all the Universal major rides have single rider, and they're aggresive in moving the line. So, it's nice for rerides on stuff like Gringotts that get a bit longer lines mid day. But, for sure, do your first Gringotts ride regular line since the queue, like FJ, is amazing. Interactive wands are a blast. We're older adults but my GF loves using hers. Don't een worry about touring plans. Universal works well just doing what you want when you feel like doing it. I'm a bit of a planner type, but I'll change my plans at Universal on a whim daily, depending on weather and just how we feel. No reservations needed for any restaurant on property (except for The Palms at Hard Rock Hotel). That's really nice not being pigeon holed into a time to eat. Best restaurants are at the hotels and CitiWalk. Even though you're off campus a bit, you can use the water taxis to go to the hotel resorts once you're at the parks. We spent one evening hoytel hopping to see all the hotel Christmas displays and trees. Try to check out Portofino's tree on the bay piazza if you get time....plus the Italian singers on the piazza balcony do a medley of Italian songs and Christmas songs at dusk every night. A nice romantic touch that your wife will adore. Have wine and pizza ordered from Sal's restorante on the piazza if you like. ...Any more questions....feel free to ask.

AP I guess would depend on how the dates worked out next year. I thought you'd be coming back sooner when I first replied....Anyway, we go to Universal for 10 or more nights twice a year, and we thought the dec. vacation with all the holiday stuff made it the BEST Universal vacation we ever had. We got lucky and there were a few days in the mid 80's so we got some pool time in to. We spent a ton of time in Seuss Landing for the first time ever since they transform it into an immersive Christmas so well. They even have the cast of the show (which they do on a soundstage) come out and populate the area like the Citizens of Hollywood used to do in full force in DHS before the cast cuts. Most of USF has Christmas music playing the whole day so the mood is set well. Get a spot 30 to 45 minutes in front of Macy's for the holiday Parade. They do the show stop scenes there and the giant Christmas tree is right across the street. Good photo ops with the stiltwalking elves....and the Rockettes....at various times of the day at the tree. The Turkey holiday dinner is an individual order, so if other family members don't want that they can order something else. Yes, put all your orders on one bill so you get the discount. We're going the week before Thanksgiving this year to both WDW & Universal. That should have slow to moderate crowds too....You won't need Express passes during your week since lines aren't too long. Unlike Disney, almost all the Universal major rides have single rider, and they're aggresive in moving the line. So, it's nice for rerides on stuff like Gringotts that get a bit longer lines mid day. But, for sure, do your first Gringotts ride regular line since the queue, like FJ, is amazing. Interactive wands are a blast. We're older adults but my GF loves using hers. Don't een worry about touring plans. Universal works well just doing what you want when you feel like doing it. I'm a bit of a planner type, but I'll change my plans at Universal on a whim daily, depending on weather and just how we feel. No reservations needed for any restaurant on property (except for The Palms at Hard Rock Hotel). That's really nice not being pigeon holed into a time to eat. Best restaurants are at the hotels and CitiWalk. Even though you're off campus a bit, you can use the water taxis to go to the hotel resorts once you're at the parks. We spent one evening hoytel hopping to see all the hotel Christmas displays and trees. Try to check out Portofino's tree on the bay piazza if you get time....plus the Italian singers on the piazza balcony do a medley of Italian songs and Christmas songs at dusk every night. A nice romantic touch that your wife will adore. Have wine and pizza ordered from Sal's restorante on the piazza if you like. ...Any more questions....feel free to ask.

TY for all of the great tips! When I initially started making plans I wasn’t certain that there would be enough to keep us busy for 8 days...but the more I read and now the more you are listing...I’m doubting now that we will get it all in lol...which just makes coming back next year during the holiday season more appealing :)

Reactions: Mad Dog
TY for all of the great tips! When I initially started making plans I wasn’t certain that there would be enough to keep us busy for 8 days...but the more I read and now the more you are listing...I’m doubting now that we will get it all in lol...which just makes coming back next year during the holiday season more appealing :)
One other small thing. Unlike Disney, the Meet & Greets (only Raptor has a long line) are great entertainment for adults even. And (except for Raptor) you don't need to get in line, you can just watch from the periphery. Transformer and Donkey/Shrek are a blast. And most certainly get in the line to see Raptor in Jurassic Park. It's probably the most entertaining M&G in existence anywhere. And, good photo ops with Marilyn, Lucy, Betty Boop, Simpsons, Scooby & the Gang, on the streets.

One other small thing. Unlike Disney, the Meet & Greets (only Raptor has a long line) are great entertainment for adults even. And (except for Raptor) you don't need to get in line, you can just watch from the periphery. Transformer and Donkey/Shrek are a blast. And most certainly get in the line to see Raptor in Jurassic Park. It's probably the most entertaining M&G in existence anywhere. And, good photo ops with Marilyn, Lucy, Betty Boop, Simpsons, Scooby & the Gang, on the streets.
Keep the info coming lol. I did purchase the annual unlimited photo pass with the recent pre-purchase sale that was going on. It seemed like a very good deal. Do they have photographers at all of the M&G locations? I have read that there are a lot less roaming around the parks in general but hoping that they are at least posted in all the sports where there will be meets.

Keep the info coming lol. I did purchase the annual unlimited photo pass with the recent pre-purchase sale that was going on. It seemed like a very good deal. Do they have photographers at all of the M&G locations? I have read that there are a lot less roaming around the parks in general but hoping that they are at least posted in all the sports where there will be meets.
I've never done photo pass at Universal or Disney, so I can't really add any info since I don't pay much attention to them.....Knockturn Alley, though small, is one of the highlights pf Potter. Prepare to take your time and explore every nook & cranny. After five years of touring Diagon since it opened in 2014, we still discover new stuff we missed....Nice small touch. Stop in the money changer office store in Diagon (next to Gringotts exit store). You can have a real in time conversation with the Goblin AA clerk. So cool. Ask him questions & he'll reply back, sometimes sarcastically.