Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Studio Tour

They do actually film quite a bit on backlot sets. I don’t know if you’ve ridden the tram lately or followed one of their social media accounts. They’re constantly filming in the backlot. Also, half those shows they listed film on the backlot.

Yes, the post I was quoted mentioned all shows filmed on soundstages which can be filmed anywhere. The soundstage can be anywhere. Those shows are not done on the outside sets. But again, I am OK with them getting rid of the tram.

Yes, the post I was quoted mentioned all shows filmed on soundstages which can be filmed anywhere. The soundstage can be anywhere. Those shows are not done on the outside sets. But again, I am OK with them getting rid of the tram.
I don’t really think you’re understanding what I’m saying. Not all of those shows are filmed just on soundstages. And not all of them can be filmed “anywhere”. The size of the show sometimes demands a larger soundstage, which Universal has. Also, some of the soundstages are brand new with modern facilities and technology which not every studio has.

Disney: Lets screw up by raising prices

USH: Hold my beer. We are going to up change the one iconic attraction that makes our park unique.

There's a bigger picture going on here that I've yet to see anyone figure out. Regardless of what the leaked survey suggests. I don't believe that they'd ever up-charge for the studio tour. It would be torn down and removed completely before they made it a separate admission.

Last edited:
I don’t really think you’re understanding what I’m saying. Not all of those shows are filmed just on soundstages. And not all of them can be filmed “anywhere”. The size of the show sometimes demands a larger soundstage, which Universal has. Also, some of the soundstages are brand new with modern facilities and technology which not every studio has.

I understand everything you said. There are modern soundstages everywhere. They don't have to be on a film or studio lot. Get what I am saying. I can build the same soundstages UNI is building on other property. What does that have to do with the outside sets. The tour is outdated. It's time to move on. Rides is what people want.

I understand everything you said. There are modern soundstages everywhere. They don't have to be on a film or studio lot. Get what I am saying. I can build the same soundstages UNI is building on other property. What does that have to do with the outside sets. The tour is outdated. It's time to move on. Rides is what people want.
I could not disagree with you more. Granted, I do think they need to revise a lot of the tram stops, but I know lots of people that still love the tram tour. Most people on this thread are evidence of that. You say other parks do well without it, but I feel that's what makes USH special, it has a tour of a real, working backlot that you can visit.

Random question: Seeing the news that Carmen Villalobos is the new host of the Spanish language version of the tour got me wondering... Is there an equivalent Mandarin-speaking host for the Mandarin version of the tour, or is it just Jimmy Fallon dubbed over?

Without the Studio Tour, Universal might as well build a park in a completely different location without the space and and noise restrictions. The only reason to have a theme park at that location is because of the Studio Tour.

You think, at some point, they'd get rid of the "Studios" part of Universal Studios and the entire area will be one big theme park?

I don't know about ditching the "Studios" part - but I do know land is a valuable resource that Hollywood does not have an abundance of.

I don't know about ditching the "Studios" part - but I do know land is a valuable resource that Hollywood does not have an abundance of.
Very much so. I can see them wanting to branch Nintendo out soon after it opens. So maybe that surrounding area gets re-configured. Do you think in a few years Transformers gets razed and Nintendo takes over that area?

The tram tour has evolved into “oh this was filmed in that soundstage” and “this was filmed in that soundstage over there,” but we can’t actually look inside them or anything. There’s been no recent movies that have built anything there for use on the tram. The last physical movie set that was added is the War of the Worlds plane crash. Even when they are filming on the sets you never go near them and the guide just says “oh they’re filming WaterWorld 2 over there on those sets,” and you just drive by without catching a glimpse and all you see is the “Quiet Please. Filming in Progress” on your screens. Only the VIP people get to see it and that’s because the regular Studio Tour is such a high capacity attraction there’s no room for such experiences.
Also, the upkeep on the sets you do drive through are also in bad shape like the Grinch set and the production cars baking in the elements.

I love the Studio Tour but the re-ride value is extremely low every visit due to the repetitiveness. Much rather condense the tour and make more room for Diagon, Hagrid, Velocicoaster, 2nd Park, etc.

Last edited:
The tram tour has evolved into “oh this was filmed in that soundstage” and “this was filmed in that soundstage over there,” but we can’t actually look inside them or anything. There’s been no recent movies that have built anything there for use on the tram. The last physical movie set that was added is the War of the Worlds plane crash. Even when they are filming on the sets you never go near them and the guide just says “oh they’re filming WaterWorld 2 over there on those sets,” and you just drive by without catching a glimpse and all you see is the “Quiet Please. Filming in Progress” on your screens. Only the VIP people get to see it and that’s because the regular Studio Tour is such a high capacity attraction there’s no room for such experiences.
Also, the upkeep on the sets you do drive through are also in bad shape like the Grinch set and the production cars baking in the elements.

I love the Studio Tour but the re-ride value is extremely low every visit due to the repetitiveness. Much rather condense the tour and make more room for Diagon, Hagrid, Velocicoaster, 2nd Park, etc.
I would tend to agree with this. It may be me, but it seems a handful of props are taken away from War of the Worlds every time I see it. Almost to the point where eventually it'll just be the plane (which is why it's been there for 15 years on Spielberg's insistence). The Grinch set is pretty embarrassing to see. I have noticed that the tram takes completely different routes whether your riding it during the week or the weekend (sometimes it takes you through Courthouse Square, sometimes you go through the European area, sometimes you don't do Flash Flood or Picture Cars, etc.) But Universal does need to look at the tram tour as a whole and decide how to make it fresh, what to keep, what to get rid of. Perhaps they open up the elephant doors on certain soundstages so people can look in, maybe they drive through a soundstage. I think some of the things Universal will never give up; Jaws, King Kong, Pyscho house for example, because they're part of their legacy. But there are lots of things that have worn out their welcome long ago that can tighten the tour up.

I would tend to agree with this. It may be me, but it seems a handful of props are taken away from War of the Worlds every time I see it. Almost to the point where eventually it'll just be the plane (which is why it's been there for 15 years on Spielberg's insistence). The Grinch set is pretty embarrassing to see. I have noticed that the tram takes completely different routes whether your riding it during the week or the weekend (sometimes it takes you through Courthouse Square, sometimes you go through the European area, sometimes you don't do Flash Flood or Picture Cars, etc.) But Universal does need to look at the tram tour as a whole and decide how to make it fresh, what to keep, what to get rid of. Perhaps they open up the elephant doors on certain soundstages so people can look in, maybe they drive through a soundstage. I think some of the things Universal will never give up; Jaws, King Kong, Pyscho house for example, because they're part of their legacy. But there are lots of things that have worn out their welcome long ago that can tighten the tour up.
I think they should build soundstages that can be filled with props/movie sets that they change every year.

Also if they still do the Night Tours.....I would be down for some fun special events like Recreating the clock Tower scene from Back to the Future and make it look like its hit by lightening using projections and actors.

I think they should build soundstages that can be filled with props/movie sets that they change every year.

Also if they still do the Night Tours.....I would be down for some fun special events like Recreating the clock Tower scene from Back to the Future and make it look like its hit by lightening using projections and actors.
Ooooo, I like this! Your soundstage idea is kinda what I had in mind. Maybe one that features large creature props or iconic picture cars. Or maybe the tram parks and everyone gets out and looks at smaller props for like 20 minutes. A version of what they did in the 60’s/70’s. They have all of these great IP’s, they need to get more creative with them. I remember doing a survey after the JP:25 event and one of the questions was “would you be interested in events like this for other Universal properties?”

Last edited:
Ooooo, I like this! Your soundstage idea is kinda what I had in mind. Maybe one that features large creature props or iconic picture cars. Or maybe the tram parks and everyone gets out and looks at smaller props for like 20 minutes. A version of what they did in the 60’s/70’s. They have all of these great IP’s, they need to get more creative with them. I remember doing a survey after the JP:25 event and one of the questions was “would you be interested in events like this for other Universal properties?”
I would pay a good deal for a Back to the Future Themed Party in the Backlot with a dance

I could be wrong but the Plane area is big enough for two sound stages, maybe one where you kinda drive to and park and its more to take pictures of items and a second where you get out and its kinda like what Small Soldiers attraction was like where you walk past recreated sets.
Stuff like that would be much more exciting than another 3D show Kong was fine but we definitely didn't need the FF part, I'd pay extra just to pass that.

I would pay a good deal for a Back to the Future Themed Party in the Backlot with a dance

I could be wrong but the Plane area is big enough for two sound stages, maybe one where you kinda drive to and park and its more to take pictures of items and a second where you get out and its kinda like what Small Soldiers attraction was like where you walk past recreated sets.
Stuff like that would be much more exciting than another 3D show Kong was fine but we definitely didn't need the FF part, I'd pay extra just to pass that.
I LOVED when Universal would do that! With Jurassic, The Mummy, Small Soldiers. They should really do that again. I'd love to see them display their props more (although, I do get that they want you to pay extra for the VIP tour to see that stuff) And BTTF party with an Enchantment Under the Sea dance in Courthouse Square is brilliant!