Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Studio Tour

The tram tour has evolved into “oh this was filmed in that soundstage” and “this was filmed in that soundstage over there,” but we can’t actually look inside them or anything. There’s been no recent movies that have built anything there for use on the tram. The last physical movie set that was added is the War of the Worlds plane crash. Even when they are filming on the sets you never go near them and the guide just says “oh they’re filming WaterWorld 2 over there on those sets,” and you just drive by without catching a glimpse and all you see is the “Quiet Please. Filming in Progress” on your screens. Only the VIP people get to see it and that’s because the regular Studio Tour is such a high capacity attraction there’s no room for such experiences.
Also, the upkeep on the sets you do drive through are also in bad shape like the Grinch set and the production cars baking in the elements.

I love the Studio Tour but the re-ride value is extremely low every visit due to the repetitiveness. Much rather condense the tour and make more room for Diagon, Hagrid, Velocicoaster, 2nd Park, etc.

Thank you. Your point is right on. I don't recognize anything that these guides talk about. You can say whatever you want was filmed on a stage and people would believe it (I know the guides can't do that).

Even the production cars are so old. Going all the way back to 1985 with BTTF. A popular film, but the point is that it is old. As well as the Flinstones. Magnum P.I.??? Is there anyone young that knows of that show? ANd then some dinosaurs squirting water at you. The flood scene is so old, and Jaws got worse after they took out the effect of the bridge being pulled away. The sets in earthquake are horrible also.

I love the studio tour and wholeheartedly agree that it makes USH a unique place, but I don't think USH really shares that sentiment anymore. Maybe it's just because I go so often, but it feels like the tours are so half-hearted these days. They skip a bunch of stuff, and don't give anything beside the most basic context for stuff like Kong or Supercharged, they just kinda happen. In fact, the last few times I've done it, there's been no set up for Supercharged at all, you just enter the building at the very end. They ignore Dom's car in the grass and don't play any of the videos with the security guard or the Rock. Not sure if it's just logistically too complicated, or if its laziness—I would hope the former, because it's not the same as when JP started to get shambolic and kinda half-hearted, it was an old ride that was on the way to being refurbished. Supercharged is one of the newer things in the park but it already feels like an afterthought when you're there.

The tour as a whole feels like that these days, which is a bummer. I'm sure some sort of revamp is on the way, but I hope it stays true to the core of what makes it great while maybe updating a few key areas. And I really hope they don't charge extra for it.

I love the studio tour and wholeheartedly agree that it makes USH a unique place, but I don't think USH really shares that sentiment anymore. Maybe it's just because I go so often, but it feels like the tours are so half-hearted these days. They skip a bunch of stuff, and don't give anything beside the most basic context for stuff like Kong or Supercharged, they just kinda happen. In fact, the last few times I've done it, there's been no set up for Supercharged at all, you just enter the building at the very end. They ignore Dom's car in the grass and don't play any of the videos with the security guard or the Rock. Not sure if it's just logistically too complicated, or if its laziness—I would hope the former, because it's not the same as when JP started to get shambolic and kinda half-hearted, it was an old ride that was on the way to being refurbished. Supercharged is one of the newer things in the park but it already feels like an afterthought when you're there.

The tour as a whole feels like that these days, which is a bummer. I'm sure some sort of revamp is on the way, but I hope it stays true to the core of what makes it great while maybe updating a few key areas. And I really hope they don't charge extra for it.
They actually moved Dom’s car from that hillside. It’s now right in front of the attraction itself sitting on the right side just before you enter the first scene.

I think most people were confused by the whole set up. COunt me as one as I have never seen a F&F movie, and never will. The attraction itself is so so. Seemed like a quick thing to put in but is the same attraction as King Kong in terms of it being a 3D movie.

I think most people were confused by the whole set up. COunt me as one as I have never seen a F&F movie, and never will. The attraction itself is so so. Seemed like a quick thing to put in but is the same attraction as King Kong in terms of it being a 3D movie.
I mean, your or anybody else’s lack of familiarity is neither here nor there. (No offense!) It was a pretty straightforward premise that they’ve apparently totally abandoned. And I mean, the fact that it was a quick thing that A) is virtually identical to another attraction and, B) doesn’t appear high on their priority list despite only being a few years old just tells me that USH isn’t really feeling the tour these days.

I mean, your or anybody else’s lack of familiarity is neither here nor there. (No offense!) It was a pretty straightforward premise that they’ve apparently totally abandoned. And I mean, the fact that it was a quick thing that A) is virtually identical to another attraction and, B) doesn’t appear high on their priority list despite only being a few years old just tells me that USH isn’t really feeling the tour these days.
I only remember The Rock calling a guy “stink pickle” from the pre-show video. I wonder if there’s any agreed upon length that the attraction can be there, or a contract before they’re able to replace it. Unfortunately, I think we’re quite a while away before it’s replaced, especially with a new F&F movie coming out next year.

I appreciate the Studio Tour for what it is, and there are parts that I really enjoy like Jaws, Earthquake, and Psycho. However, as an AP, I very rarely ride it because it takes up so much time and large portions of it can be very boring. Plus, the Kong and Fast and Furious sections are more nauseating then the other screen rides at the park. I am much more likely to ride Mummy or Jurassic World more times in one day then I am likely to ride the Studio Tour in an entire year.

I do think the quality of the experience can vary greatly depending on what guide you get and what they tell you. Also, it doesn't really feel like a tour of a working studio since it is such a rarity to encounter any actual real filming or production taking place.

I think it is just expensive to operate as well. The drivers are Teamsters and they get paid more than other employees and have different benefits. The tour guides are under their own union (I believe) and get their own perks. Plus the maintenance of the trams is expensive, and I am sure those mechanics are Teamsters also.

I also don't hear people saying they want to ride it again when they get off of it unlike a ride. It's a one and done in my opinion. I rarely ride it.

I think it is just expensive to operate as well. The drivers are Teamsters and they get paid more than other employees and have different benefits. The tour guides are under their own union (I believe) and get their own perks. Plus the maintenance of the trams is expensive, and I am sure those mechanics are Teamsters also.

I also don't hear people saying they want to ride it again when they get off of it unlike a ride. It's a one and done in my opinion. I rarely ride it.
I think you're really underestimating how many international visitors USH gets. USH gets a LOT. While we may take it for granted, the park gets a ton of international tourists to see "the real movie studio". It's going to be a one-and-done for many people, but there are many more who will want to see it.

Besides, you can actually bring your food and drinks on the tram. :)

For someone who rarely rides, you sure do have a lot of opinions on wanting to get rid of it.

For someone who rarely rides, you sure do have a lot of opinions on wanting to get rid of it.
Do you need to ride it every time to have an opinion about its future?:lol: There’s no motivation to ride it every visit just like Despicable Me, The Simpsons, and Dreamworks Theatre.

Do you need to ride it every time to have an opinion about its future?:lol: There’s no motivation to ride it every visit just like Despicable Me, The Simpsons, and Dreamworks Theatre.
Kind of, actually. If you say “no one goes on it!”, and “it’s the exact same every single time”, how would you unless you ride it a lot?

Kind of, actually. If you say “no one goes on it!”, and “it’s the exact same every single time”, how would you unless you ride it a lot?

What have they added since F&F. I didn't say I don't ride it. I said rarely, which means I do ride it. But nothing has changed on it. Starts out with dumb Jimmy Fallon skit (kudos to the guides who don't turn on Jimmy video). Here is the timeline of movies spot. No one knows any of the movies. Here is the backside of JP ride, the outside of some soundstages (pick a show that was filmed inside), here are bungalows that are now offices to anyone, here is the backlot, but we will skip that and go right into King Kong, past some old movie cars, through a fake flood, into six points which was last used in a USH commercial....oh, let's skip little Italy and go right into an out of date earthquake and to a fake shark. Colonial street, sorry there is a cone in the way, can't go down there, old motel and Psycho house, plane crash, F&F, done. Have a tramtastic day.

Get rid of it.

Thank you Ron. I don't like the Simpsons, so I don't ride it all the time. Only if the line is under 15 minutes because it takes forever to load. ANd it is another screen ride. Doesn't excite me either because believe it or not, I have never watched The Simpsons. Prefer BTTF.

What have they added since F&F. I didn't say I don't ride it. I said rarely, which means I do ride it. But nothing has changed on it. Starts out with dumb Jimmy Fallon skit (kudos to the guides who don't turn on Jimmy video). Here is the timeline of movies spot. No one knows any of the movies. Here is the backside of JP ride, the outside of some soundstages (pick a show that was filmed inside), here are bungalows that are now offices to anyone, here is the backlot, but we will skip that and go right into King Kong, past some old movie cars, through a fake flood, into six points which was last used in a USH commercial....oh, let's skip little Italy and go right into an out of date earthquake and to a fake shark. Colonial street, sorry there is a cone in the way, can't go down there, old motel and Psycho house, plane crash, F&F, done. Have a tramtastic day.

Get rid of it.
So, the ONLY option is to get rid of it? There’s absolutely NO way to revamp it and change it up? Don’t get rid of it!