Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 50 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wind in the Willows is one of the most popular books of all time. And, sure, Animal House made more gross than BttF (adjusted for inflation).

The movie is absolutely a product of its time, looked fondly on by Gen-Xers and Millennials. But you can't tell me Gen Z (current high schoolers who will be in their early 20s by the time UEU opens) cares about a future that was nearly a decade prior.

People praised 2001: A Space Odyssey for decades. Now where is it?

:deadhorse:

Reactions: Mad Dog

Are you honestly trying to make the argument that BACK TO THE FUTURE and 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY are somehow not certifiable classic films? Because that's a pretty Hot Take if there ever was one.

They'll be remembered for their quality a lot longer than most of the pieces of entertainment currently represented in Universal Studios Florida.

Are you honestly trying to make the argument that BACK TO THE FUTURE and 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY are somehow not certifiable classic films? Because that's a pretty Hot Take if there ever was one.
Praised and popular are two different things. Gone With the Wind is considered one of the greatest movies of all time. How many 20-50 year olds have actually seen it?

Looking back on the old Blue Sky thread back in late 2015... It took just four pages before the four Epic Universe IPs had all been suggested (FB, HTTYD, SNW, CM). Of course a mountain of other ideas had been thrown around including NFL. :p
Citizen Kane rosebud sled coaster confirmed
At least it's not screens based!

Reactions: Magic-Man
Praised and popular are two different things.

I take that point, but popular does not always equal good, either.

At least in BTTF's case, I think it's certainly still in the very upper tier of popular movies from the 1980s. I'll grant that 2001 is mostly out of the cultural conversation among non-genre fans, but that doesn't lessen its artistry.

I take that point, but popular does not always equal good, either.

At least in BTTF's case, I think it's certainly still in the very upper tier of popular movies from the 1980s. I'll grant that 2001 is mostly out of the cultural conversation among non-genre fans, but that doesn't lessen its artistry.
From the 80s, though. They will be nearly 40 years old by the time UEU opens. That means the audience the IP is truly relevant for is between 40-65 years old.

All the IPs present in UEU will have had some sort of popular release within the last 10 years. Even the Monsters continuously return into the zeitgeist with refreshes and reintroductions of the characters. THAT'S the idea of this park.

Reactions: SeventyOne
My wish for Classic Monsters:
Epic-Universe-Draculas-Castle-798x500.png

I enter the village that is build on a hill. It is a non descriptive, but clearly European, village with a castle. It is forgotten by time and run down. But it is a living village and the detailing is amazing.
su-jeong-ahn-object-medieval-shop-fin.jpg

There is a inn where I order a beer. They also make mix drinks based on the local folklore. There is one that should get rid of vampires and it's non alcohol. Although it looks like blood and it's really good. There are drinks with smoke in it and even something that looks like an eye ball. This village is strange...
george-johnstone-oldeinn.jpg

Again the detail is amazing as are the shops. I just found this one close to the water. The store keeper tells about the monster from the black lagoon. And guess what, we saw it! (we will see more, the boat ride will be and expansion, at least that is what the store keeper whispered in my ear.)
009.jpg

I love a good sit down restaurant and although the outside is a bit shabby, it's also inviting enough and the food is great. Some German and Austria fare is served and it is great. I am urged to eat some garlic bread and I shouldn't go out when there is a full moon for whatever reason.
jongmin-ahn-pub-house2.jpg

I ignore good advise as the castle is enticing and I want, no I need to visit it. To say it looks stunning is an understatement.
36992fae3c9be401b9916a02ea03c92b.jpg

After entering the main hall I board a ride vehicle, 4 in a row. The seats look like Gothic chairs after I got an invitation from the count for a spectacular tour trough his castle.
It's an scary but beautiful castle.
iam-bankman-dracula-project-concept-art-2.jpg

During our ride we see Dracula an go after him out of a window in the castle to the village where we enter a bedroom where a beautiful woman awakes. He charms her but then bite her neck so she can live forever with him. I love a good love story.
Now it's time to visit the good doctor to show him some bite marks that concern me. Frankenstein lives in a nice mansion although the strange graveyard I had to walk trough first is just a bit less inviting.
gothic-house.jpg

I get on a comfortable couch, there are a lot of them all in a conga line. It takes me trough the spooky story of the doctor who is working hard to dig up a body. There are more corpses on the cart. Igor is a bit funny although he's also a bit sad.
Eventually we get to a large room where the monster is created. Are that real Tesla coils used in this ride? Yes they are!
15769971282_d856f7b898_b.jpg

As we enter we say goodbye tot he good doctor. I make my way to the huge stadium. I heard Puy Du Fou created a show for Universal and it's Monsters against the world. Like a Marvel Avangers movie the bad creators and hunters against the good monsters battle it out in a huge production that combines stunts, special effect and illusions to create a mind blowing extravaganza.

My wish for Classic Monsters:
Epic-Universe-Draculas-Castle-798x500.png

I enter the village that is build on a hill. It is a non descriptive, but clearly European, village with a castle. It is forgotten by time and run down. But it is a living village and the detailing is amazing.
su-jeong-ahn-object-medieval-shop-fin.jpg

There is a inn where I order a beer. They also make mix drinks based on the local folklore. There is one that should get rid of vampires and it's non alcohol. Although it looks like blood and it's really good. There are drinks with smoke in it and even something that looks like an eye ball. This village is strange...
george-johnstone-oldeinn.jpg

Again the detail is amazing as are the shops. I just found this one close to the water. The store keeper tells about the monster from the black lagoon. And guess what, we saw it! (we will see more, the boat ride will be and expansion, at least that is what the store keeper whispered in my ear.)
009.jpg

I love a good sit down restaurant and although the outside is a bit shabby, it's also inviting enough and the food is great. Some German and Austria fare is served and it is great. I am urged to eat some garlic bread and I shouldn't go out when there is a full moon for whatever reason.
jongmin-ahn-pub-house2.jpg

I ignore good advise as the castle is enticing and I want, no I need to visit it. To say it looks stunning is an understatement.
36992fae3c9be401b9916a02ea03c92b.jpg

After entering the main hall I board a ride vehicle, 4 in a row. The seats look like Gothic chairs after I got an invitation from the count for a spectacular tour trough his castle.
It's an scary but beautiful castle.
iam-bankman-dracula-project-concept-art-2.jpg

During our ride we see Dracula an go after him out of a window in the castle to the village where we enter a bedroom where a beautiful woman awakes. He charms her but then bite her neck so she can live forever with him. I love a good love story.
Now it's time to visit the good doctor to show him some bite marks that concern me. Frankenstein lives in a nice mansion although the strange graveyard I had to walk trough first is just a bit less inviting.
gothic-house.jpg

I get on a comfortable couch, there are a lot of them all in a conga line. It takes me trough the spooky story of the doctor who is working hard to dig up a body. There are more corpses on the cart. Igor is a bit funny although he's also a bit sad.
Eventually we get to a large room where the monster is created. Are that real Tesla coils used in this ride? Yes they are!
15769971282_d856f7b898_b.jpg

As we enter we say goodbye tot he good doctor. I make my way to the huge stadium. I heard Puy Du Fou created a show for Universal and it's Monsters against the world. Like a Marvel Avangers movie the bad creators and hunters against the good monsters battle it out in a huge production that combines stunts, special effect and illusions to create a mind blowing extravaganza.
Yep, this is it, this is the one

But like actually, I just got super excited for a land I wont see for several more years haha

I would also say it would be cool if they tossed in a Knockturn-esque kind of area with AC

Wind in the Willows is one of the most popular books of all time. And, sure, Animal House made more gross than BttF (adjusted for inflation).

The movie is absolutely a product of its time, looked fondly on by Gen-Xers and Millennials. But you can't tell me Gen Z (current high schoolers who will be in their early 20s by the time UEU opens) cares about a future that was nearly a decade prior.

Look BTTF is a great film and was a great ride at the time..It is not coming back

Kubrick is one of the finest directors of all time and 2001 will be studied and analyzed by film students till the end of time

None of them are coming to Epic Universe :lol:

Just some general musings of mine as I have caught up on the different forums. I saw someone bringing up Bikini Bottom and Spongebob for the parks, and I'm curious if going forward Universal will only entertain IP's it would have complete exclusivity in the US. To that point, Spongebob would unfortunately be off the table, at least for now, as the Triple Five Group have the rights to it and other Nickelodeon properties for use in indoor theme parks (notably in Mall Of America, and another location opening in NJ later this year.)

Which got me think about Scooby Doo. In the US, many Cedar Fair and Six Flags locations had Scooby Doo dark ride attractions. Coincidently, over the last 5 years, every single one of them in the US has closed and been replaced, mostly with Sally's Boo Blaster attraction. The last remaining Scooby Doo attraction in the US was at Six Flags Fiesta Texas and closed last year. Leads one to assume there is the possibility that the rides all closed due to the rights holder refusing to extend any deal that was in place, but for what purpose? Perhaps a more lucrative (Universal) deal was in the works?

Again, just my own musings :grin:

Last edited:
Reactions: therock
Just some general musings of mine as I have caught up on the different forums. I saw someone bringing up Bikini Bottom and Spongebob for the parks, and I'm curious if going forward Universal will only entertain IP's it would have complete exclusivity in the US. To that point, Spongebob would unfortunately be off the table, at least for now, as the Triple Give Group have the rights to it and other Nickelodeon properties for use in indoor theme parks (notably in Mall Of America, and another location opening in NJ later this year.)

Which got me think about Scooby Doo. In the US, many Cedar Fair and Six Flags locations had Scooby Doo dark ride attractions. Coincidently, over the last 5 years, every single one of them in the US has closed and been replaced, mostly with Sally's Boo Blaster attraction. The last remaining Scooby Doo attraction in the US was at Six Flags Fiesta Texas and closed last year. Leads one to assume there is the possibility that the rides all closed due to the rights holder refusing to extend any deal that was in place, but for what purpose? Perhaps a more lucrative (Universal) deal was in the works?

Again, just my own musings :grin:
Is Scooby Doo even a viable IP at this point ?

Reactions: allaboutthatchase
Something I didn't think about before but now that I have seen the blown up image of the Classic Monsters area and heard Alicia's podcast is the windmill from Frankenstein. It doesn't need to be a main focal point but to see it up on a hilltop in forced perspective somewhere in the land would be amazing.

The characters are known and recognizable by both children and adults. There has been consistent content released for over 20 years, and a new film is in production for a theatrical release next year. I'd say that's as viable as you can get for an IP that isn't Nintendo/Potter/Star Wars level.

The characters are known and recognizable by both children and adults. There has been consistent content released for over 20 years, and a new film is in production for a theatrical release next year. I'd say that's as viable as you can get for an IP that isn't Nintendo/Potter/Star Wars level.
To jump off both of these, I think Scooby is an IP that would build just as much (if not more for a certain audience) excitement as the Classic Monsters IP. Not to mention it would fit in really well being in or adjacent to the land. A good Scooby ride definitely has the potential to be a huge crowd pleaser.

To jump off both of these, I think Scooby is an IP that would build just as much (if not more for a certain audience) excitement as the Classic Monsters IP. Not to mention it would fit in really well being in or adjacent to the land. A good Scooby ride definitely has the potential to be a huge crowd pleaser.
First - I love Scooby as an IP and character. I agree with the points made in previous posts about name recognition, lasting IP appeal, etc.

However, there are currently several Scooby rides at other parks, including :

1) Scooby-Doo The Museum of Mysteries - Warner Bros. World Abu Dhabi:

2) Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster - Warner Bros Movie World Australia:

3) La Aventura de Scooby-Doo in Spain:

The above ride was also featured as:

That being said, it wouldn't be the first time Universal is moving ahead with an IP already 'done' at another park.

First - I love Scooby as an IP and character. I agree with the points made in previous posts about name recognition, lasting IP appeal, etc.

However, there are currently several Scooby rides at other parks, including :

1) Scooby-Doo The Museum of Mysteries - Warner Bros. World Abu Dhabi:

2) Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster - Warner Bros Movie World Australia:

3) La Aventura de Scooby-Doo in Spain:

The above ride was also featured as:

That being said, it wouldn't be the first time Universal is moving ahead with an IP already 'done' at another park.

Yes. Those three attractions exist. And those others were the US attractions I stated had all closed in recent years. That why I specifically mentioned only the US. Theme Park rights are often leased per region.

Yes. Those three attractions exist. And those others were the US attractions I stated had all closed in recent years. That why I specifically mentioned only the US. Theme Park rights are often leased per region.
Not really referring to rights but more of over-saturation.

If Universal wants to be seen as equal to Disney, I feel like they need to move passed IPs that have been consistently used at Six Flags and other lower tier theme parks.

I’ve been banging the drum for a Scooby dark ride basically since the original Hanna-Barbera ride closed years ago. I agree with those saying that it’s very much an evergreen property and I believe that it goes without saying that a good ride created by Universal would be leaps and bounds beyond any of the previous amusement park rides that have been centered around those characters already. Tone-wise, I think it could potentially bring a lot to the monster land.

Status
Not open for further replies.