Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Studio Tour

What have they added since F&F. I didn't say I don't ride it. I said rarely, which means I do ride it. But nothing has changed on it. Starts out with dumb Jimmy Fallon skit (kudos to the guides who don't turn on Jimmy video). Here is the timeline of movies spot. No one knows any of the movies. Here is the backside of JP ride, the outside of some soundstages (pick a show that was filmed inside), here are bungalows that are now offices to anyone, here is the backlot, but we will skip that and go right into King Kong, past some old movie cars, through a fake flood, into six points which was last used in a USH commercial....oh, let's skip little Italy and go right into an out of date earthquake and to a fake shark. Colonial street, sorry there is a cone in the way, can't go down there, old motel and Psycho house, plane crash, F&F, done. Have a tramtastic day.

Get rid of it.
Yikes. Did one of the trams run over your parents or something? Did Jimmy Fallon pants you in the fourth grade and you've been holding a grudge ever since?

Just because you don't like something and you don't know or care about any of the movies doesn't mean that no one does. The Studio Tour is one of the highest rated attractions in the park. For a lot of guests, especially first time guests, the tour is the highlight of their visit and might even be the main reason for coming to the park. I don't ride the tour every time I go to the park, but I still ride it pretty often. I like to learn things and each time I ride it, I see things I didn't see before and the guide might tell me something I didn't know before. Plus, frankly, it's something to do to fill a serious amount of time. On those long park hour days, if you're sticking around for the light show, it's an easy and enjoyable way to kill an hour.

You also don't get to claim that nobody films on the outdoor sets and then complain that they're always blocked off on the tour. They're blocked off on the tour because people are filming on them. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood used Six Points, Hobbs & Shaw filmed all up and down the Metro Sets, The Good Place has dominated Little Europe for the last four years. I can't watch an hour of TV without seeing a handful of commercials (even excluding the one for JW) that were filmed on the backlot. It generates revenue for the company with relatively little upkeep cost, definitely cheaper than having to constantly build new set for things to film in soundstages, so why get rid of it?

All that being said, I'm not saying it should be an up-charge, but it's definitely not worth removing it.

I think it is just expensive to operate as well. The drivers are Teamsters and they get paid more than other employees and have different benefits. The tour guides are under their own union (I believe) and get their own perks. Plus the maintenance of the trams is expensive, and I am sure those mechanics are Teamsters also.

I also don't hear people saying they want to ride it again when they get off of it unlike a ride. It's a one and done in my opinion. I rarely ride it.
The fact that some people get paid a reasonable wage vs other park employees getting screwed is not a reason to cut a ride. The overall value the ride brings to ticket sales is what matters and this is a 45 minute signature attraction. Cedar point would have torn down the dragster years ago if they were concerned about cost.

So, the ONLY option is to get rid of it? There’s absolutely NO way to revamp it and change it up? Don’t get rid of it!
Why don't you tell us how to revamp it. Of course there is a way to revamp it, what a dumb question. But does UNI want to invest in it. My answer is no, they don't. If the other UNI parks are getting higher attendance without it, then why keep it here.

Relocating the front lot stages to the back would open up the entire lower lot to park expansion with rides, which is what the other parks rely on.

Yikes. Did one of the trams run over your parents or something? Did Jimmy Fallon pants you in the fourth grade and you've been holding a grudge ever since?

Just because you don't like something and you don't know or care about any of the movies doesn't mean that no one does. The Studio Tour is one of the highest rated attractions in the park. For a lot of guests, especially first time guests, the tour is the highlight of their visit and might even be the main reason for coming to the park. I don't ride the tour every time I go to the park, but I still ride it pretty often. I like to learn things and each time I ride it, I see things I didn't see before and the guide might tell me something I didn't know before. Plus, frankly, it's something to do to fill a serious amount of time. On those long park hour days, if you're sticking around for the light show, it's an easy and enjoyable way to kill an hour.

You also don't get to claim that nobody films on the outdoor sets and then complain that they're always blocked off on the tour. They're blocked off on the tour because people are filming on them. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood used Six Points, Hobbs & Shaw filmed all up and down the Metro Sets, The Good Place has dominated Little Europe for the last four years. I can't watch an hour of TV without seeing a handful of commercials (even excluding the one for JW) that were filmed on the backlot. It generates revenue for the company with relatively little upkeep cost, definitely cheaper than having to constantly build new set for things to film in soundstages, so why get rid of it?

All that being said, I'm not saying it should be an up-charge, but it's definitely not worth removing it.

No, no one got run over, thank you for your concern. I never said I didn't know about any of the movies. The tram is one of the highest ratest attractions??? You answered my point, it is not the highest rated.

You are not even sure if that is the reason people are coming to the park. YOu said it might be the main reason.

I don't believe I ever said people don't film on the outside sets. I quoted a post earlier where the OP mentioned a bunch of shows that are filmed inside. I said you can do that anywhere. A soundstage does not need to be on a film lot.

Handful of commercials in one hour. Name some please.

RIP tram tour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you tell us how to revamp it. Of course there is a way to revamp it, what a dumb question. But does UNI want to invest in it. My answer is no, they don't. If the other UNI parks are getting higher attendance without it, then why keep it here.

Relocating the front lot stages to the back would open up the entire lower lot to park expansion with rides, which is what the other parks rely on.
You obviously have a lot of hostility and it’s really not worth talking to you. It makes me so happy knowing I’ll be able to ride the tram tour for a long time and it’ll always be there to piss you off. (Try to) Have a great day.

No, no one got run over, thank you for your concern. I never said I didn't know about any of the movies. The tram is one of the highest ratest attractions??? You answered my point, it is not the highest rated.

You are not even sure if that is the reason people are coming to the park. YOu said it might be the main reason.

I don't believe I ever said people don't film on the outside sets. I quoted a post earlier where the OP mentioned a bunch of shows that are filmed inside. I said you can do that anywhere. A soundstage does not need to be on a film lot.

RIP tram tour.

You're right, this is what you said:
Here is the timeline of movies spot. No one knows any of the movies.

I'm not sure I follow your logic. Are you saying that, because it isn't #1, it's worth getting rid of? And while it isn't the highest rated attraction, it has the highest guest satisfaction scores out of all the attractions in the park. By a significant margin. When people are asked about memorable moments from their day at USH, they almost always mention the Studio Tour.

You're absolutely right, a soundstage doesn't need to be built on a film lot. You could build one anywhere. Hell, put some soundproofing on a warehouse in downtown LA and you're all set. But does it have dressing rooms? Can sets be built and stored on site or do they have to be shipped in? What about a local costuming department? Is there a nearby props warehouse? Does it have easy access for the writing and production staff? It doesn't need to be built on a film lot, but production is much easier if it is.

Here you go, I guess:

I tune them out so I wasn't able to find specific examples, but if you watch enough car commercials, they love filming on the metro sets, they can show off their car handing those tight city corners and alleys.

To personally just say, there is a benefit to shooting outside of controlled environments, and the Universal Backlot has had a lot of various area's that do benefit. As @SnideRemarksDept says, the Metro Sets is often used quite easily for a hell of a lot of shoot's; especially with the versatility and range that you can use with the location itself.

There is an appeal to the Studio Tour, the chance to go behind the curtain into Hollywood. Even if that gap behind is getting slimmer and slimmer, it's still something that gets a lot of insane love, and is a major draw to the park.

RIP tram tour.

Duuuuuude chill.

—————

So interesting question, if the Tram Tour is removed and only an upcharge version is added how much would need to be added to off set the removal? 3 rides? 5 rides?

So interesting question, if the Tram Tour is removed and only an upcharge version is added how much would need to be added to off set the removal? 3 rides? 5 rides?

I'd say 2-3 attractions, to make sure the capacity isn't too lowered.

My curiosity is how they'd handle re-branding the park, due to the nature of the Park connected with the tour..

I'd say 2-3 attractions, to make sure the capacity isn't too lowered.

My curiosity is how they'd handle re-branding the park, due to the nature of the Park connected with the tour..

I mean I’d just offer it as a stand alone experience, “our park can stand on its own. You can now do the studio tour separately for less.”

Duuuuuude chill.

—————

An upcharged intimate Studio Tour replaces plus 2 e-tickets(NEW) and I’d be ok. Just as long as the studio tour doesn’t completely disappear.

Note that I’d prefer to not loose the studio tour as is at all as I’ve said numerous time it’s my number ONE attraction at any theme park period.

Duuuuuude chill.

—————

Good question, what do you think? The park is doing fine now and we have two new attractions coming the next year. Will they equal the amount of people taking the tram or more? They will eat up what the tram was taking.

You're right, this is what you said:

I'm not sure I follow your logic. Are you saying that, because it isn't #1, it's worth getting rid of? And while it isn't the highest rated attraction, it has the highest guest satisfaction scores out of all the attractions in the park. By a significant margin. When people are asked about memorable moments from their day at USH, they almost always mention the Studio Tour.

You're absolutely right, a soundstage doesn't need to be built on a film lot. You could build one anywhere. Hell, put some soundproofing on a warehouse in downtown LA and you're all set. But does it have dressing rooms? Can sets be built and stored on site or do they have to be shipped in? What about a local costuming department? Is there a nearby props warehouse? Does it have easy access for the writing and production staff? It doesn't need to be built on a film lot, but production is much easier if it is.

Here you go, I guess:

I tune them out so I wasn't able to find specific examples, but if you watch enough car commercials, they love filming on the metro sets, they can show off their car handing those tight city corners and alleys.

Whatever you want to think I am thinking, then go ahead and think that. My apologies for having an opinion that I really don't care if they get rid of the tram ride. I am almost certain we would still have the old King Kong if the other one didn't burn down. I don't count that as an upgrade to tram, because in my opinion only, I believe again we would have the old King Kong still.

So, I appreciate you have your opinion and I respect it. I have not tried to change it unlike others here who are trying to change mine. I just see that the tram is becoming outdated and it is time to let it go. The "magic" of movie making is no longer a secret anymore.

I never said the tour was not #1, someone else did or maybe you. I am not going through old posts. But your post alone says it is not the highest rated attraction. Where is your info for "highest guest satisfaction" available at?

Soundstages off the lot? yes, they have dressing rooms. Soundstages on USH lot, yes and no. How many dressing room trailers do you always see parked outside. Costuming departments, all over the place. Prop warehouses, again, all over the place. Officer buildings all over for production and staff.

Again, just my opinion.

USH's website provides false advertising for the tour anyways. It shows a picture of a tram at a live filming with a guy jumping out of a building that just exploded. When do we ever see that?

I have a number of friends and family in the TV/movie business. The sets and soundstages at Universal Studios are in use constantly and they frequently have jobs there. The tram tour has always worked around that and yes, since it's a working studio so sometimes the tour has to be rerouted. I've been going to USH for over 50 years and the tram tour is what most people I know expect when they go. The other rides are important too, but the tram tour is what made USH and UO as well. They have always added to and taken away parts of the tour. The burning mansion, rockslide, Doomed Glacier Expedition, runaway train, Battlestar Galactica, soundstage tour, Prop Plaza, Spartacus Square, etc. were all removed from the tour over the years and other things added. I hope the tram tour is never removed, I could care less about a second gate. Like someone else said, just fix and beef up the park that's there now.

I have a number of friends and family in the TV/movie business. The sets and soundstages at Universal Studios are in use constantly and they frequently have jobs there. The tram tour has always worked around that and yes, since it's a working studio so sometimes the tour has to be rerouted. I've been going to USH for over 50 years and the tram tour is what most people I know expect when they go. The other rides are important too, but the tram tour is what made USH and UO as well. They have always added to and taken away parts of the tour. The burning mansion, rockslide, Doomed Glacier Expedition, runaway train, Battlestar Galactica, soundstage tour, Prop Plaza, Spartacus Square, etc. were all removed from the tour over the years and other things added. I hope the tram tour is never removed, I could care less about a second gate. Like someone else said, just fix and beef up the park that's there now.
Wait... hold on... I’m confused. What I was told is that the tram is too expensive, lots of shows don’t film on the outside sets, no one knows any of the iconic Universal movies, and that Universal doesn’t want to invest in the backlot.

..It's promotional material for the sake of the tour? Do you really wanna stretch like that?

And to bring up..editing a post is a thing.
Yes, I do. Another picture on the site shows filming going on, with an explosion next to two police cars. When have we seen that. Compared to the other promotional pics on the site for other attractions, USH really seems to stretch the reality of the tour on this section. Bottom line is, you don't see any filming going on. You drive past closed sound stages and other buildings.

I'm sorry that you don't agree with my opinion. I am glad you like the tour. To me, I will do it every once in awhile, but the reality is, most of the backlot is off limits now. Especially with all the horror nights construction going on. The last two times I rode it, we went from "the bungalows that used to be used by the likes of Alfred Hitchcock" right into King Kong.

Wait... hold on... I’m confused. What I was told is that the tram is too expensive, lots of shows don’t film on the outside sets, no one knows any of the iconic Universal movies, and that Universal doesn’t want to invest in the backlot.
That's not what you were told. A person, meaning me, gave my opinion of the cost of the tour. LA2kw gave his opinion as well. Opinions, don't get confused.

Universal's backlots are also used by other studios (especially since most studios no longer have standing backlot sets). Besides Universal, Warner Bros. and Disney have backlots as far as I know. MGMs and Fox's are long gone, and I think Paramount torn down about 90% of theirs. Backlots are used mostly by commercials and TV shows nowadays, but sometimes a big film will be shot rather than on location for cost, control and tax breaks.