Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 53 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They will skew towards classic. They will not be a 1:1 recreation. Think of this as an original land far more than an IP one
I think this is what makes this land so exciting...It's original in that they can do pretty much whatever they want, and it's all anchored by the Monsters...I believe it will be wildly popular to be honest

Reactions: Awakening
im most excited for monster land because of all the possibilities. I know what to expect from Nintendo and dragons and FB

Talking the park with @Alicia if you guys want to check it out!

Thank you, and thank you to @Alicia as well.

I do want to talk about the idea that Classic Monsters are not scary. It's technically accurate that right now, in their current state, because of what they have become, they have essentially become kid friendly cartoon characters.
tumblr_p1u7mvs7GR1wa7o90o1_1280.png

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

I don't believe this is what Universal is going to deliver. As such, I don't believe Adams Family, Munsters, and Scooby will have a place inside the Classic Monsters area (maybe in hub). I don't believe this will be Disney's Haunted Mansion level of family friendly spookiness, with humor and fun.

However, the opposite is also not true: Universal is not going to give us Halloween Horror Nights year round. There is not going to be a warning stating "Classic Monsters may be too intense for children under 12" (or whatever the HHN warning says). It's not going to be:
042919_n13-hhn-classic-monsters

But there's something in the middle. Look at Tower of Terror - based on Twilight Zone, a show with came out in a similar era (though decades later) to Classic Monsters. This is at a Disney park... And it's tame for people who go to HHN regularly, but terrifying to some.

Also look at Revenge of The Mummy... Literally we see (fake) people being murdered in front of our eyes. The entire ride features several phobias including fear of enclosed spaces, darkness, heights, fire, bugs, the dead, etc. This isn't Stephen King level of horror (see what could have been), but still miles beyond Count Chocula.

I recently watched Dracula 1931, and if you haven't seen it, I encourage you to watch it. The movie cracks almost no jokes. It's not meant to be family fun. For the HHN regulars or people who watch horror movies often, the movie is tame. But that doesn't mean it's intended for children.

And I believe this is what we'll see... Not HHN, not a cartoon, but somewhere closer to Twilight Zone or Revenge of The Mummy.

Last edited:
Thank you, and thank you to @Alicia as well.

I do want to talk about the idea that Classic Monsters are not scary. It's technically accurate that right now, in their current state, because of what they have become, they have essentially become kid friendly cartoon characters.
tumblr_p1u7mvs7GR1wa7o90o1_1280.png

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

I don't believe this is what Universal is going to deliver. As such, I don't believe Adams Family, Munsters, and Scooby will have a place inside the Classic Monsters area (maybe in hub). I don't believe this will be Disney's Haunted Mansion level of family friendly spookiness, with humor and fun.

However, the opposite is also not true: Universal is not going to give us Halloween Horror Nights year round. There is not going to be a warning stating "Classic Monsters may be too intense for children under 12" (or whatever the HHN warning says). It's not going to be:
042919_n13-hhn-classic-monsters

But there's something in the middle. Look at Tower of Terror - based on Twilight Zone, a show with came out in a similar era (though decades later) to Classic Monsters. This is at a Disney park... And it's tame for people who go to HHN regularly, but terrifying to some.

Also look at Revenge of The Mummy... Literally we see (fake) people being murdered in front of our eyes. The entire ride features several phobias including fear of enclosed spaces, darkness, heights, fire, bugs, the dead, etc. This isn't Stephen King level of horror (see what could have been), but still miles beyond Count Chocula.

I recently watched Dracula 1931, and if you haven't seen it, I encourage you to watch it. The movie cracks almost no jokes. It's not meant to be family fun. For the HHN regulars or people who watch horror movies often, the movie is tame. But that doesn't mean it's intended for children.

And I believe this is what we'll see... Not HHN, not a cartoon, but somewhere closer to Twilight Zone or Revenge of The Mummy.

Some valid points made.

Reactions: allaboutthatchase
Monsters can be thematically scary. The land will definitely be creepy and I would say probably have a similar tone of "scary" as something like Tower of Terror, or the first half of Haunted Mansion. In interviews, I'm just trying to say that it will not be like a HNN house. I don't see the land featuring the over-gory, over-scary, over-dramatized monster variations like we see at HNN, and I don't see jump scares being the source of the scary.

Definitely agree that it would likely be somewhere between Scooby-Doo and Halloween Horror Nights. A nice middle-ground where it's not too scary, but not too tame either.

Tower of Terror level, sure, if it had monsters in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.