Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion | Page 178 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Unless it is Hitchcock, I really hope that it isn't a compilation maze. I actually think the Pandora's Box theme has a ton of potential and I would prefer it over several potential IPs.

Reactions: Dr. Herbert West
I know that this seems like a major stretch, but what if Pandora’s Box was the Cornetto Trilogy?

Hear me out with this: HHN has already worked with Edgar Wright to bring 2009’s Shaun of the Dead scarezone and also Orlando’s portion in Silver Screams. Considering that SOTD celebrated its 15th anniversary this year, I always held out a little bit of hope for it coming back this year. Plus, the trilogy could potentially be that “obscure” property that was hinted.

The only obstacle I see with this is Hot Fuzz. You’d really have to amp up the cult to make it seem more scary. However, I feel like SOTD and The World’s End could fit perfectly.

Hey, if This Is The End could come, why can’t these actually good movies?

Anyone who wanted to ask can now ask if Holidayz is the only original maze this year.

There is no way he'd confirm that.

EDIT: I'm now super curious about Pandora's Box. Could it be a Hollywood Harry themed maze, maybe? Regardless of what it is, having two original IP mazes would be wonderful.

Last edited:
Probably won't know until the event starts. Still, junking the tram couldn't have hurt, especially when you gotta pay drivers and something like 50-100-ish actors union rates (Murdy said something about 100 Freddy masks in 2017).

Not only that, but the teamsters who drive the trams (also union), the tour guides that do the spiel, two management & operations teams to manage the scope of the area, added security due to proximity of the backlot...

I wouldn’t be surprised if they increase budget this year. Their properties are far more lucrative than usual, and they still have to compete with 5 major events that are all upping their games this year.

The whisper in the hallway says that 2017 was hit with the double-whammy of budget decrease by almost a million and maze count increase. 2016 supposedly had a budget rise due to a clerical error, and 2017 paid for it as a result.

Comcast is splurging hard on their parks, what with Beijing, Jurassic World, EU and Hagrid, so perhaps HHN gets a similar budget increase this year.

The whisper in the hallway says that 2017 was hit with the double-whammy of budget decrease by almost a million and maze count increase. 2016 supposedly had a budget rise due to a clerical error, and 2017 paid for it as a result.

Comcast is splurging hard on their parks, what with Beijing, Jurassic World, EU and Hagrid, so perhaps HHN gets a similar budget increase this year.
I mean, budgets are what they are and I won't pretend to know the best way for Comcast/Universal to spend their money, but it definitely strikes me as a bad time to get skimpy with Horror Nights. Horror as a genre and—let's face it—lifestyle is surging yet again and these kind of immersive, experiential events are also just getting more and more popular. HHN is such a differentiator because of its association with films and television. It's partially why I harp so much on IPs. HHN has kinda cornered the market on that particular aspect, and I think the event is at its best when its all IPs that are a healthy mixture of new, relevant stuff and some obscure classics. People clamor for this stuff. HHN should really be getting more money now than they ever have before.