Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

Just a little less rockwork. They don't have to eliminate it. Disney seems to 'really be into rockwork anymore', which is a very expensive landscaping tool. There's plenty of landscaping alternatives that can be just as beautiful, dynamic and relevant... and would cost a lot less. ...It seems the entertainment & streetmosphere in the new lands is continually being cut due to cost concerns. I'd certainly rather have more streetmosphere actors and some live entertainment....and less rocks.

I would even argue that cutting some of the rockwork in order to provide funding for a third ride would make even more sense. Plus the streetmosphere (I think that we're making up words here at this point) and entertainment. If I recall, portions of Island of Adventure's facades were made with foam. That may not be the best material for all locations/builds but it would have to be cheaper than concrete and heavy steel reinforcement. May not even need "rock on a stick". Still happy that they added the land with two rides and I'll get to WDW's version at some point.

Rockwork seems to be their one trick pony when it comes to these huge lands. Ever since the success of Cars Land that's their design focus. It worked very well for Cars. For Avatar we got essentially a rock arch that we're all supposed to pretend looks like its floating but even still it worked. The rock work in those two lands are the focal point.

That being said, the hundreds of million of dollars of rock work in Galaxy's Edge isn't the focal point. It's the back drop in the land. And it added very little for me. The show piece is the Millennium Falcon. I hardly noticed a lot of the rock work in the land. And if we're being honest, they could have cut 50% of it and it would still be impressive. And then they could have used that money for another attraction. That was a misstep for me.

I agree with these posts. Personally, I would like to see cuts to the amount of rock work for more and better quality rides. Sure, that rock work is nice to look at, but Smuggler's Run is one of the worst D or E Tickets that I have ever experienced at any park anywhere. I would take having actual good rides and minimal rock work over amazing rock work and mediocre rides.

The rock work isn't enough to bring me back to the land, but good rides would be.

Rockwork seems to be their one trick pony when it comes to these huge lands. Ever since the success of Cars Land that's their design focus. It worked very well for Cars. For Avatar we got essentially a rock arch that we're all supposed to pretend looks like its floating but even still it worked. The rock work in those two lands are the focal point.

That being said, the hundreds of million of dollars of rock work in Galaxy's Edge isn't the focal point. It's the back drop in the land. And it added very little for me. The show piece is the Millennium Falcon. I hardly noticed a lot of the rock work in the land. And if we're being honest, they could have cut 50% of it and it would still be impressive. And then they could have used that money for another attraction. That was a misstep for me.

Agree completely. Some rockwork makes sense. They could have made it a spaceport with false fronts on buildings in the style of Star Wars architecture. Add some fountains and then have some minimal rockwork to support the area but not to dominate it.

Again, though, I am hopeful to experience the place for myself in February although ride waits might end any temptation I have of actually riding one of the two rides.

Sure, that rock work is nice to look at, but Smuggler's Run is one of the worst D or E Tickets that I have ever experienced at any park anywhere. I would take having actual good rides and minimal rock work over amazing rock work and mediocre rides.

The rock work isn't enough to bring me back to the land, but good rides would be

Fast and Furious Supercharged: Hold my beer

Are we seriously complaining about rock work being too much ? I can’t with this thread any longer any type of scape goat you guys can find your using it as a excuse. If a land cost a certain amount of money and entertainment is included in that then no need to cut existing elements to make the land look worse.

I haven't seen the land in person to gauge the feeling of it....But I will say that the rock work appears to be mostly on the peripherals of the land...Is that true?

I thought the falcon ride was originally going to have multiple missions like Star Tours...what happened to that idea?

Also...still possible a new mission could be announced close to the opening of RotR?

I thought the falcon ride was originally going to have multiple missions like Star Tours...what happened to that idea?

Also...still possible a new mission could be announced close to the opening of RotR?
It was never supposed to have more than the one it opened with, although it's expected that, like with Star Tours, new missions will be added as time goes by.

Honestly, while riding the ride, there’s information overload. I was a Pilot but I couldn’t tell you anything that happened. I didn’t really have fun because while I did a decent job with the up and down, the other pilot was terrible at the left and right movements so we hit a bunch of stuff. And I could tell the gunners weren’t happy about it either because they couldn’t target what they wanted. Why anyone would separate directional controls between two people is beyond me.

It was never supposed to have more than the one it opened with, although it's expected that, like with Star Tours, new missions will be added as time goes by.
I swear they announced more then one mission, there’s concept art all over of stuff that’s not in the ride currently and corresponds with different missions

PSA: I don’t really care if you liked the ride or not. Was just asking a simple question.

There were supposed to be 3 distinct missions. Hondo clarifies your mission objective in the final pre-boarding sequence (and not the initial animatronic preshow) for a reason.

Sure, that rock work is nice to look at, but Smuggler's Run is one of the worst D or E Tickets that I have ever experienced at any park anywhere. I would take having actual good rides and minimal rock work over amazing rock work and mediocre rides.

The rock work isn't enough to bring me back to the land, but good rides would be

Fast and Furious Supercharged: Hold my beer

That is why I said "one of the worst" instead of "the worst." Both Smuggler's Run and Supercharged are terrible attractions.

Honestly, while riding the ride, there’s information overload. I was a Pilot but I couldn’t tell you anything that happened. I didn’t really have fun because while I did a decent job with the up and down, the other pilot was terrible at the left and right movements so we hit a bunch of stuff. And I could tell the gunners weren’t happy about it either because they couldn’t target what they wanted. Why anyone would separate directional controls between two people is beyond me.

This sums up a lot of why I hate Smuggler's Run so much. Plus the graphics are really ugly and dull. When I think Gunner, I think having a joystick or turret to aim and shooting stuff, not pressing a few buttons. Engineering is horrible as all you do is push buttons and you can't even focus on what is happening on the screen. It is very poor design to make it so that people have to look to the side for the Engineering position. Also, no one position ever really gets much control. I can have way more fun playing countless old Star Wars games than I could on Smuggler's Run.

That is why I said "one of the worst" instead of "the worst." Both Smuggler's Run and Supercharged are terrible attractions.

This sums up a lot of why I hate Smuggler's Run so much. Plus the graphics are really ugly and dull. When I think Gunner, I think having a joystick or turret to aim and shooting stuff, not pressing a few buttons. Engineering is horrible as all you do is push buttons and you can't even focus on what is happening on the screen. It is very poor design to make it so that people have to look to the side for the Engineering position. Also, no one position ever really gets much control. I can have way more fun playing countless old Star Wars games than I could on Smuggler's Run.

Yay?

But only one has The Rock...So do we live in a world where a Fast and Furious ride is better than a Millenium Falcon ride?

I can't imagine any D/E ride worst than F&F. No way Smugglers Run can be that bad.
It isn't. We actually had a blast (and did suprisingly well). I was engineer and yeah, you do have to push a lot of buttons if your pilot sucks and makes it hard to watch the screen (although I was watching in anticipation of having to hit buttons when I saw a hit coming!)