Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

General Discussion - Jurassic World: The Ride

i totally forgot they kinda advertised the boat moving....wonder why that was cut. Maybe They'll do a Big Refurb the off season after Nintendoland opens to add more life to the ride.
I hope so. This area (while I completely love the scope and look of it) needs more interaction. Something more to tell you that this thing has some heft and this aquarium probably won’t hold it.

What's the general perception of the ride to the public? Everything I've read makes it seem very postive, too bad I can't ride it for a long time.

Idk if this has been uploaded yet here. A old friend of mine recently got stuck in JW and this comfirms that the indorex is just a head haha
*edit this actually might be the first indorex head not the ending .-. But still cool picture

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190811-090649_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190811-090649_Chrome.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 140
Idk if this has been uploaded yet here. A old friend of mine recently got stuck in JW and this comfirms that the indorex is just a head haha
*edit this actually might be the first indorex head not the ending .-. But still cool picture

That's just the head after the ascent. That's not the final showdown indo head which is also not much more than a head. Was there ever any doubt the first indo was just a head?

Having been stuck (and eventually evacuated) on the ride for 20 minutes before, being under this thing for any extended period of time would really freak me out!

That photo is hard to look at haha. They should of gave that one a neck because you can still see the black arm when the strobe lights are hitting it.

At the park.
image0.jpg

Looks like they gave the triceratops a proper paddock.

The rollout of this ride is so odd.

So we're 100% sure indo is still running in B mode and will be for the foreseeable future right?

And the boat bump was cut or is that something that's also coming later? It's so odd seeing it bookend the promo footage only for it not to materialize at all.

I'm conflicted on the redo overall. Mosy is definitely cool, but the pacing of the ride is completely thrown out of the window. I also can't get over how cheesy and kind of boring the prelift area is now. The truck fall was such a great splash moment, and I wish they'd replaced it with a gyrosphere. Really hoping we'll get a further plussed version if this comes to Orlando. The ride was so perfect in its original form in Hollywood (vine swinging Trex aside) that it's hard not to feel like they didn't ruin it a bit.

So we're 100% sure indo is still running in B mode and will be for the foreseeable future right?

Yeah, you can see the full body AA being worked on in the BTS video that was posted a few days ago.

And the boat bump was cut or is that something that's also coming later? It's so odd seeing it bookend the promo footage only for it not to materialize at all.

That was never a thing beyond the commercial.

Last edited:
I'm conflicted on the redo overall. Mosy is definitely cool, but the pacing of the ride is completely thrown out of the window. I also can't get over how cheesy and kind of boring the prelift area is now. The truck fall was such a great splash moment, and I wish they'd replaced it with a gyrosphere. Really hoping we'll get a further plussed version if this comes to Orlando. The ride was so perfect in its original form in Hollywood (vine swinging Trex aside) that it's hard not to feel like they didn't ruin it a bit.

What's frustrating - for me personally, at least - is that it wouldn't take a whole lot to lift this refurb up from being good to something great. I'm really, really hoping that Universal has been taking the criticism to heart and is considering a sort of "phase 2" when it comes to this ride rather than leaving it as is once the full-bodied Indominus is in place. (And for the record, I actually do enjoy the ride and am glad we got a refurb.)

Some simple ambiance changes I'd love to see implemented would include things like:
  • Darkening the aquarium. I know it's not easy with the other end of the tunnel being open and there's no world in which they ditch the waterfall and extend the aquarium to the rock work, but a change in the roofing might help. This whole sequence is so much better at night because it's dark, and I'd like to see this addressed during the daytime.
  • This is a little nitpicky and partially fueled by nostalgia, but I'd actually love to see the two compies back in their old spot for the sake of livening up the herbivore area more to compensate for Predator Cove being a dead zone. I always liked their placement in the old ride as an indicator that things aren't as perfect as they seem and chaos is (literally) right around the corner, and I think that notion fits just as well here. Or even just throw a few of them in around the crates in Predator Cove over a carcass or something watching us as we pass by.
  • Maybe even as we round the corner/approach Predator Cove, we could hear the sound of the Indominus roaring/escaping. I know we've got the buzzer and the red lights showing the containment failures, but even just being able to hear the actual escape happening considering how close we're supposed to be to it would be interesting.
  • And in that stretch of tunnel right before the lift hill where the Dilos used to be and is now just T-rex material on the sides, I'd pump a bit of mist/fog in there to make the impending lift a bit more ominous, especially since - yet again - we pass through Predator Cove expecting something and getting... nothing.
  • And again, more nostalgia here, but I'd be happy seeing the raptor on the left of the lift back, too, if just because - by that point - it feels like forever since we last saw a dinosaur on our dinosaur tour.
I actually really dig the changes made to the ride after the lift hill. I'll always miss the countdown, the fog, and dropping under the rex as she emerged, but they took a big swing here and I think they knocked it out of the park. So long as we get the full Indominus rex, those final few seconds alone will easily swing from "That's it?" to "That's awesome!"

Honestly, as everyone's pointed out for weeks, the thing really holding the ride back is Predator Cove. Those plastic Pteranodons need to go. I said in a past comment that I'd love to see some actual Pteranodon animatronics perched around the area, perhaps, but honestly, if it's a choice between no Pteranodons at all and what we've got now, I'd choose the former, because it looks disastrously cheap as is.

They really shot themselves in the foot, too, by having the Indominus rex doors and those bent bars on the right side of the boat. As the Indominus has already escaped, what can you really do there now? Nothing. You can't have an animatronic Indominus attacking the bars from the inside because it wouldn't make sense. But now it's all taken up visual real estate that could've been given to something else. For instance, imagine if the Predator Cove logo was moved to the right, near the raptor enclosure, and the Indominus doors and gate put on the left. She's already escaped, fine, but on the right - where her enclosure is now - there's, say, a Carnotaurus or Metriacanthosaurus enclosure... that's in the process of opening up! And as we pass by, an animatronic lunges at us from the gates.

As it is now, there's nothing that can really be done on the right side of Predator Cove, which leaves the left side... The repeated gyrosphere recommendations make sense because they're such an important aspect of Jurassic World, but story-wise would one really make sense just... being in Predator Cove? You can't even have one being dropped over a ledge, because then you're blocking either the Predator Cove logo or screens on the left due to the fact you can't have it being dropped in on the right with the Indominus enclosure right there.

I know this is sacrilege, too, and I'd hate to see it go, but even the raptor enclosure is taking up real estate. In the old ride, that enclosure made sense because it wasn't part of the tour we were on, and therefore it's not as though we were looking into a raptor exhibit designed for a boat tour... But here? In Predator Cove, we're passing by the raptor enclosure as though it's part of our tour, yet how are we expected to even see Velociraptors from a boat the way it's set up if things all went to plan and the tour played out like normal? If it meant getting rid of it and replacing it with an animatronic for - to repeat myself - a Carnotaur or Metriacanthosaur, with covering above it for the sake of protecting it from the elements, I'd take it in a heart beat.

Hell, throw in a Jurassic World boat with the old dilophosaurus in it in front of that empty Predator Cove sign space if you have to. Something. Anything.

Anyway, my TL;DR: Hopefully the full Indominus isn't the end of Universal's modifications to this ride. I've already had a few friends come out and visit through the summer who used to love the old ride and were excited to see this only to get off it completely disappointed and without any desire to go on it again until either the Indominus gets here or something radically changes in the middle third of the ride. For me, I'm glad we got the refurb, I just would love to see it punched up in the ambiance department and see Predator Cove addressed in some way to make it more dynamic.

Last edited:
My son and I went to USH yesterday. I've ridden JW before, but I rode it yesterday with a critical eye. More honestly, I watched those around me, many of whom had never ridden before.

They were delighted! And honestly, nitpicks aside, I agree with them. The ride is MORE fun than before. I know some take issue with so called dead zones, but it honestly is more entertaining. People were clapping before prompted upon disembarking. The waterfall effect on the final drop was not working, but somehow, the TRex did not look wrong. It all worked. I'm excited to see if there truly is an "A" mode how it all pans out. All in all, it is so much better than the old ride, I can't see what the issue is (and I rode the old one over 100 times).

BTW, we ate at Jurassic Cafe for the second time since the remodel. Had the guac and empanadas side the first time (delightful, but only needed one), and this time had the slo roasted pork. Wow! It was so tasty! Definite upgrade on the food front.

Am I the only one that never saw that as a ride effect? When I watched the video, it just looked to me like everyone jumping away from the Mosasaur had rocked the boat.
I think it definitely looks like a ride effect. People jumping in that boat wouldn’t make it move that much. And even if weren’t an intended effect, it should be! This thing is something to be feared and eats great whites as snacks, there should be some of percussive effect when it rams the glass.

I had a great day at the park today and was able to get 5 rides in on Jurassic World thanks to the Single Rider line. Blue was working during the first two rides, but he didn't move at all during the later rides, he just stood motionless back in the area that he walks out of.

One cool effect that doesn't always seem to work is the trees moving around on the side where the Indo Rex is right before the drop. I am thinking that maybe once we get the final Indo Rex, the trees will move around then the final, full body Indo will jump out.

Also, I know the Indo Rex already escaped when we pass his cage. However, with all that space, there is still potential to do something more with that area.

My son and I went to USH yesterday. I've ridden JW before, but I rode it yesterday with a critical eye. More honestly, I watched those around me, many of whom had never ridden before.

They were delighted! And honestly, nitpicks aside, I agree with them. The ride is MORE fun than before. I know some take issue with so called dead zones, but it honestly is more entertaining. People were clapping before prompted upon disembarking. The waterfall effect on the final drop was not working, but somehow, the TRex did not look wrong. It all worked. I'm excited to see if there truly is an "A" mode how it all pans out. All in all, it is so much better than the old ride, I can't see what the issue is (and I rode the old one over 100 times).

BTW, we ate at Jurassic Cafe for the second time since the remodel. Had the guac and empanadas side the first time (delightful, but only needed one), and this time had the slo roasted pork. Wow! It was so tasty! Definite upgrade on the food front.

Agree that people like the ride a lot, but the finale is odd to say the least. In the original there was a waterfall which was scary cause you would get drenched and then the head swung out which was both scary and a relief that it blocked the water.

Currently it is obviously a full dinosaur on a string just hanging there. It looks very odd as you can see the legs and doesn't really work. Still the ride is very fun.

Agreed for sure on Jurassic Cafe. I got the slow roasted jackfruit and it was exceptional!

A lot of people here quibbled with me on this point, but I see the legs every time I ride this now, at it's nearing a dozen. Literally every single time. And it's not a matter of me "looking for them." I'm experiencing the ride naturally.

I saw it on my first go around and was surprised even though I wasn't looking for it. I was expecting the massive T-Rex head to pop out. Somehow the disembodied head works much better. Seeing the whole dino with dangling legs makes her look rather helpless, like she got trapped in a harness and just is swinging there.

A lot of people here quibbled with me on this point, but I see the legs every time I ride this now, at it's nearing a dozen. Literally every single time. And it's not a matter of me "looking for them." I'm experiencing the ride naturally.
That’s how Orlando’s is, and I was really pleased to see a waterfall blocking the T-Rex when we rode it in Hollywood a few years back. It really upped the scariness of those last few moments before the drop.