Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

I haven't seen the land in person to gauge the feeling of it....But I will say that the rock work appears to be mostly on the peripherals of the land...Is that true?

The outlines, yes. But the rockwork is visible on the pathways as well, especially near the Falcon.

I thought the falcon ride was originally going to have multiple missions like Star Tours...what happened to that idea?

Also...still possible a new mission could be announced close to the opening of RotR?

It's very possible.

It was never supposed to have more than the one it opened with, although it's expected that, like with Star Tours, new missions will be added as time goes by.

I think that the random navigation of the attraction was supposed to be started on the outset, but the difficult playtesting nixed it combined with the NVIDA system and getting that to function easily. Once people have a "handle" on the attraction more, I foresee new missions ASAP.

And yeah, Smuggler's Run may be just fine, but it is nowhere near a terrible attraction.

Sure, that rock work is nice to look at, but Smuggler's Run is one of the worst D or E Tickets that I have ever experienced at any park anywhere. I would take having actual good rides and minimal rock work over amazing rock work and mediocre rides.

The rock work isn't enough to bring me back to the land, but good rides would be

Fast and Furious Supercharged: Hold my beer
Oh my. You went there. Hahaha yeah I think that F&F takes the prize for worst idea ever for a ride. Fine as an addition to the Studio Tour, horrendous as a standalone "ride". We agree good sir.
I haven't seen the land in person to gauge the feeling of it....But I will say that the rock work appears to be mostly on the peripherals of the land...Is that true?
It is kind of the thing of the land, you do see a lot of the rock work everywhere. It is quite prominent.

I think that at this point it's just grasping at straws really. I have no idea if it was a huge investment so much rock work, but the thing is that the land was a huge miscalculation by Disney. It is a perfect storm of many things. I have attributed the failure to it's huge size. Much ado about nothing. It's the biggest expansion in Disneyland and it only has two rides. New Orleans Square and Critter Country have 2 rides each and their foot print is like one third the size of Galaxy's Edge. The land feels empty and there is nothing else to do than to shop and ride one ride (eventually two). Now we know that there is no atmosphere in the street because the budget got cut. One of my more cynical hypothesis is that Disney half assed the design of the land because "It's Star Wars. People will eat it up. It doesn't matter what you put in front of them, they will pay". Disney overplayed its hand and now it's time to pay. With the huge success that Hagrid's was (delays in operations notwithstanding) I think Disney won't stop investing in their parks since Comcast is fully committed at not stopping any time soon, but this will be their wake up call. Maybe some poaching of Universal Creative people will start.

It is not a “huge miscalculation” by any means. They can still add themed entertainment, it’s not a done deal. Keep in mind we are seeing Disney land operate without annual pass holders, and Disney world just with their highest tier pass-holders. Finally, we have the star attraction yet to open. I would hold your final judgement.

You can praise universal all you want, but they have had some serious misfires recently. They aren’t by any means “perfect”.

Yes, this will surely keep everyone's mind at east that Disneyland has seen a drop of around 10-20k guests a day year over year now.

People have complained about over crowding at Disney for so long, and finally when the parks are less crowded, the complain some more.

Today is the day that Deluxe APs are finally unblocked for the summer. I've been monitoring the wait times throughout the day and there doesn't seem to be a noticeable uptick versus my visits in June and July. Smugglers Run was over an hour in the morning, but under an hour in the afternoon. Most rides were still under an hour throughout most of the day. Of course wait times aren't the only indicator of crowd levels, especially if guests are evenly spread out. It'll be interesting to see if we'll begin to see a significant increase in attendance now.

It is not a “huge miscalculation” by any means. They can still add themed entertainment, it’s not a done deal. Keep in mind we are seeing Disney land operate without annual pass holders, and Disney world just with their highest tier pass-holders. Finally, we have the star attraction yet to open. I would hold your final judgement.

You can praise universal all you want, but they have had some serious misfires recently. They aren’t by any means “perfect”.
It is such a huge miscalculation that it even made it to the quarterly report. They tried to explain why attendance was so low this summer. It was such a miscalculation that a multimillion project to widen pathways and make smaller planters for all the extra people the park was getting is not necessary at all with some of the lowest attendance in the past years, having in mind that one of the most famous sagas of all time just opened a land all for itself and attendance is dismal. So yeah... it was a miscalculation

Now that Orlando's version is open I've noticed we are missing a couple things like the custom red coca cola vending carts with the droid on the side and the Hondo meet and greet character. Anything else we don't have (right now) that I missed?

Now that Orlando's version is open I've noticed we are missing a couple things like the custom red coca cola vending carts with the droid on the side and the Hondo meet and greet character. Anything else we don't have (right now) that I missed?

It’s not a meet and greet it was just for the opening.

So I went with my mom this past month and we both had some different opinions when it came to our differences. However we both agreed for the most part the land is stunning and big, we were surprised how many nooks and crannies there were to explore. I don't wanna echo too much what others have said but the area by RotR is absolutely DEAD. I wonder if this was purposely done for potential extended lines once Rise opens but it was weird.

I know people will disagree but the land seriously lacks music as noted by my mother. She said the spaceship noises just felt a little too forced and that the land lacked atmosphere because of it which I don't disagree. The walk-around characters, especially Rey are insanely good and I was pleased at how often they'd stop by whenever guests wanted pictures. My mom was also pleased by the amount of variety at the place's lone walk in restaurant (which unfortunately we did not eat in). We also both liked the blue milk a lot! It was nice and creamy and felt like a smoothie.

As for Smuggler's Run we rode as pilot and engineer. We got two containers of coaxium as pilots and flying really feels the best. However as engineers it was really uncomfortable (not to mention our first ride) where my mom also noted - lacked emotion. She grew up with these movies and for her to say it was kind of underwhelming upon first entering the cockpit kinda shocked me. She has high expectations for Rise because otherwise she said the land kind of felt like it was missing a lot in the context of Star Wars, especially since she'd expect to see some droids roll around or otherwise. Hogsmeade to both of us felt more "alive" than Galaxy's Edge did.

I'd give the land a solid B- right now, hopefully improvements come but where it lacks definitely separates it significantly from where it shines, especially when it comes to feeling like Star Wars.

I'm a little confused. You can make reservations for oga's cantina 2 weeks in advance so today I'm trying to make reservations for the twentythird and there's nothing available already and it's only 7:00 in the morning. I find that hard to believe. Is there a time that the reservation system opens for that location?

Edit: I was finally able to serve for breakfast at 9:20. It says the park opens at 8 but last few years in was 10. Did they change the hours or is that for early entry tickets? We have standard tickets. Will we be allowed into the park for our reservation if that's the case?

Last edited: