Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Super Nintendo World - Hollywood (General Discussion)

It does look like a small amount of space, but I think they will use vertical space to give the Mario Kart ride a decent ride length. I think that the track might pass over and under itself a lot. The Mummy is in a building that isn't very tall, so it doesn't have much vertical space to work with. Since Mario Kart is being built from the ground up, there shouldn't be any major space limitations preventing it from being a long ride.
I don’t think the final incarnation of the MK plans have it overlapping itself. However, the queue is on the upper floor and entire ride is on the lower level.

Mummy is a roller coaster which takes up a lot of room, and you travel through much of it at a fast speed. MK is a busbar dark ride that moves slowly. I would compare it to something like ET instead, which the MK building is a similar size. But, unlike ET, it doesn’t have to share the space with the queue and preshow, since it has two levels.

MK is a busbar dark ride that moves slowly
So are there screens (screenzzzz) that simulate most of the fast motion? Because I have to imagine a MK ride will be designed to be at least somewhat thrilling, even if it most of it is simulated. A slightly elevated dark ride a la ET seems sorta . . . incompatible?

So are there screens (screenzzzz) that simulate most of the fast motion? Because I have to imagine a MK ride will be designed to be at least somewhat thrilling, even if it most of it is simulated. A slightly elevated dark ride a la ET seems sorta . . . incompatible?

I don't believe there are screens as Nintendo has mandated it so.

Dual track bus-bar driven dark ride where ride vehicles could spin... where have I heard of that before...

I know this has been mentioned before but this seems like a missed opportunity. They need more thrill rides. Like Fast and Furious I think Universal will fail if they don't deliver on MK.
Universal has plenty of thrill rides. Id consider Mummy, Forbidden Journey, transformers, to all be thrill rides. If Anything I think USH is one of the best parks out there right now with good options for everyone in a family. Adding a coaster wouldn't hurt but that was never part of the Mario Kart plans or the Nintendo Hollywood plans. Id be pretty psyched you're getting a super technologically advanced dark ride.

My guess is the main entrance/warp tube will be near Transformers and we'll only see Studio Cafe removed. (just a guess)

You got me thinking **bad artwork warning**

Maybe something like the below?
Green - warp pie escalators and entrance plaza
Red - MK
Yellow - Mushroom Kingdom
SNW2.jpg

@Alicia I know you have said previosuly that USH will have escalators up the warp pipe, and idea where from/to?

I’m not going to lose sleep about never getting Yoshi. It’s main purpose seems to be merely adding kinetics to the land. I think it’s safe to assume that SLoP will be the far superior ride anyway.
We have Proof of that...or just hear say?

You got me thinking **bad artwork warning**

Maybe something like the below?
Green - warp pie escalators and entrance plaza
Red - MK
Yellow - Mushroom Kingdom
View attachment 10619

@Alicia I know you have said previosuly that USH will have escalators up the warp pipe, and idea where from/to?
I’ve only ever said Orlando would have escalators up through the warp pipe at the land’s entrance. The other variations may be different. It looks like Japan will start you off at second level without an escalator for example.

It’s possible Hollywood could have an escalator too, but with the orientation of its Mushroom kingdom and it’s truncated design, who know how they’ll be doing the entry.

I’ve only ever said Orlando would have escalators up through the warp pipe at the land’s entrance. The other variations may be different. It looks like Japan will start you off at second level without an escalator for example.

It’s possible Hollywood could have an escalator too, but with the orientation of its Mushroom kingdom and it’s truncated design, who know how they’ll be doing the entry.

BTW I saw a lot of updates that there was a lot of steel work being put up. Went to USH on Friday and Sunday and can confirm that steel is going up fast. Not to mention that as of Sunday night there were new trailers with (maybe 3-4) with steel beams. Might top out by September or so.

I don’t think the final incarnation of the MK plans have it overlapping itself. However, the queue is on the upper floor and entire ride is on the lower level.

Mummy is a roller coaster which takes up a lot of room, and you travel through much of it at a fast speed. MK is a busbar dark ride that moves slowly. I would compare it to something like ET instead, which the MK building is a similar size. But, unlike ET, it doesn’t have to share the space with the queue and preshow, since it has two levels.

Thanks for the info. I do wonder how it is going to simulate the speed needed to have a racing feeling. If they wanted a slow dark ride, it seems like a theme other than Mario Kart would have made more sense.

I hope that we do get Donkey Kong in a phase 2 so we can get another coaster.

I feel like if USH gets both MK and DK, plus another major expansion before 2028 (I'm hoping for Classic Monsters), then it could become the single best Universal park.

Since we're doing the prediction drawing thing, here's my prediction. I predict they'll put the main entrance roughly where Studio Cafe is so the main entrance is clearly visable from pretty much all over the lower lot.

14mcgu8.jpg

Thanks for the info. I do wonder how it is going to simulate the speed needed to have a racing feeling. If they wanted a slow dark ride, it seems like a theme other than Mario Kart would have made more sense.

I hope that we do get Donkey Kong in a phase 2 so we can get another coaster.

I feel like if USH gets both MK and DK, plus another major expansion before 2028 (I'm hoping for Classic Monsters), then it could become the single best Universal park.
Dark rides with objects within close proximity feel faster than they are. Indiana Jones/Dinosaur have some good moments. Heck, even Mr Toads feels “fast” with all the whipping back and forth.

That, plus some special effects, should help. But this will likely be a family attraction for most everyone, not a thrill ride.

I did talk a lot about patents Universal filed for effects that could make the ride feel faster in part 1 of my Epic Universe article recently.

So how do we get up to the queue, stairs ala TSM or elevator like Gringotts? Or do we enter the queue at the same level seeing that we enter the land on the second level? If that’s the case how do we get down to the ride portion? Just questions that have been bugging me as I am curious how they will set it up.

So how do we get up to the queue, stairs ala TSM or elevator like Gringotts? Or do we enter the queue at the same level seeing that we enter the land on the second level? If that’s the case how do we get down to the ride portion? Just questions that have been bugging me as I am curious how they will set it up.

The main entrance is on the 2nd floor, so you'll most likely enter the land and ride from that level with dining and shops on the lower level.

The main entrance is on the 2nd floor, so you'll most likely enter the land and ride from that level with dining and shops on the lower level.
Oh ok I think I remember seeing that mentioned before. My other question was how do we get from the queue to the ride itself if it’s on the first floor; does the ride vehicle come up to the second floor or do we go down to the first floor to board?

Oh ok I think I remember seeing that mentioned before. My other question was how do we get from the queue to the ride itself if it’s on the first floor; does the ride vehicle come up to the second floor or do we go down to the first floor to board?

That's getting into specifics that I don't think a lot of people would know unless they were working on the ride itself. To keep costs down i'm guessing the loading area is on the bottom level with the rest of the ride.

That's getting into specifics that I don't think a lot of people would know unless they were working on the ride itself. To keep costs down i'm guessing the loading area is on the bottom level with the rest of the ride.
Thanks for the insight and I guess we will just have to wait and see .....