Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Sony/Marvel Spider-Man Deal

Either way, the MCU has had a lot of Spidey over the past few years so I’m happy enough I guess. Maybe he can be re-introduced down the line.

Sony may well feel that this last film's success, and the animated version, rejuvenated the franchise....so maintain the ability to keep all the future profits and run with it solo......hoping that they can recreate the magical success of the first Spidey film and this last one....Yes, a business gamble, but if they can put together a good production team, the franchise just might have entered a renaissance of sorts.....Looks like they used Disney to me.

As someone that worked on both Spider-Man MCU films, I can say quite confidently that Sony had NO creative input on these films. They were pretty much 100% made by Feige/Disney when it comes to the creativity of it all. All Sony did was pay for it/distribute it. So with this deal gone, so is the creative team.

Got it, thanks for the correction.

As someone that worked on both Spider-Man MCU films, I can say quite confidently that Sony had NO creative input on these films. They were pretty much 100% made by Feige/Disney when it comes to the creativity of it all. All Sony did was pay for it/distribute it. So with this deal gone, so is the creative team.

What did you do? If i might ask.

Last edited:
Sony may well feel that this last film's success, and the animated version, rejuvenated the franchise....so maintain the ability to keep all the future profits and run with it solo......hoping that they can recreate the magical success of the first Spidey film and this last one....Yes, a business gamble, but if they can put together a good production team, the franchise just might have entered a renaissance of sorts.....Looks like they used Disney to me.
I think it was mutual to a great extent. Disney knew that Sony was desperate to rejuvenate their Spiderman movie franchise, and at the same time, Disney wanted the extra bump for the MCU they knew would come with adding Spiderman to the MCU and developing him as the "heir" to Iron Man of sorts.
Plus, Disney owns the merchandise rights, so a healthy Spiderman movie brand is in Disney's interest either way.

Now the problem is that Disney doesn't really need Spiderman (given they've just gotten back FF/X-Men from Fox) to the extent of giving up a full MCU movie slot every 2-3 years to Sony so they're asking for much more. They need to be releasing much higher quality movies than Venom (despite its huge payday) to make that work though.

At the same time, Sony's realized that maybe they can build their own Spiderman Marvel Universe around Spiderman/Venom and whoever else is getting movies or tv shows over the next couple of years. That's especially true given how young Holland is. He could play the role for quite a while if he wants and build a whole cinematic universe for himself.

I think it was mutual to a great extent. Disney knew that Sony was desperate to rejuvenate their Spiderman movie franchise, and at the same time, Disney wanted the extra bump for the MCU they knew would come with adding Spiderman to the MCU and developing him as the "heir" to Iron Man of sorts.
Plus, Disney owns the merchandise rights, so a healthy Spiderman movie brand is in Disney's interest either way.

Now the problem is that Disney doesn't really need Spiderman (given they've just gotten back FF/X-Men from Fox) to the extent of giving up a full MCU movie slot every 2-3 years to Sony so they're asking for much more. They need to be releasing much higher quality movies than Venom (despite its huge payday) to make that work though.

At the same time, Sony's realized that maybe they can build their own Spiderman Marvel Universe around Spiderman/Venom and whoever else is getting movies or tv shows over the next couple of years. That's especially true given how young Holland is. He could play the role for quite a while if he wants and build a whole cinematic universe for himself.
Your theory is probably right on. :thumbsup:

To be honest, spiderman did what he needed in the avengers movies and now that iron man isnt there, i dont think spiderman is a good fit with the new avengers line up. He was part of the previous line up with iron man and cap america and now i dont think.hrs needed.

My only concern and worry is that Sony cant write a good spiderman movie.

This is a big thing that I wonder about a Holland Spider-Man movie outside of the MCU. Like, where does the story go if they can’t reference MCU stuff?

This is a big thing that I wonder about a Holland Spider-Man movie outside of the MCU. Like, where does the story go if they can’t reference MCU stuff?

This is my main concern for me (and I’m sure others), if they can’t use the twist at the end of Far From Home due to it being tied to the MCU it would instantly make me less interested to go and see the movie right away.

Yep, called this back in the Far From Home thread.

The movie's only been out for one week. No need to start freaking out yet.

Having said that, I can actually see the opposite occurring. Since Venom made over $850 million WW and if Far From Home cracks a billion, Sony could very easily say that they don't need Feige's help anymore and yank the characters regardless. In their eyes, they'd probably have everything they need now to reboot the whole Spidey Cinematic Universe and make a bigger profit than if they were to work with Marvel.