Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disneyland’s Attendance Issues Summer 2019

The thing is, they have lowered prices. Every day there are huge lines of locals buying the special tickets (what is it like 4 days for less than $200?), but that means the core WDW business (vacationers who stay at WDW) must be way down. I'd guess hotel occupancy rates on property are really down, which will hurt them even more. Especially with 4 hotels under construction right now, they've got to be getting nervous.

I know they have been advertising special bargain hotel rates to CMs internally, but I'm expecting a big bargain package rollout coming soon for GP, especially if the Galaxy's Edge opening is softer than anticipated. Lots of bargain room rates (which re still overpriced) with "free" stuff like dining plan added.
I don’t understand how you came to this conclusion.

The thing is, they have lowered prices. Every day there are huge lines of locals buying the special tickets (what is it like 4 days for less than $200?), but that means the core WDW business (vacationers who stay at WDW) must be way down. I'd guess hotel occupancy rates on property are really down, which will hurt them even more. Especially with 4 hotels under construction right now, they've got to be getting nervous.

I know they have been advertising special bargain hotel rates to CMs internally, but I'm expecting a big bargain package rollout coming soon for GP, especially if the Galaxy's Edge opening is softer than anticipated. Lots of bargain room rates (which re still overpriced) with "free" stuff like dining plan added.
Why are you talking about WDW when this thread is about DL?

Why are you talking about WDW when this thread is about DL?
Oops, you're right! That's what happens when you took a sleeping pill and it hasn't worn off...

I was responding to the information from Iger on the attendance sagging at parks on both coasts. Forgot this was specifically about DL.

Al Lutz is back and is reporting double digit attendance decline.

MiceAge Disneyland Rumor Update - Promising the Moon
Really nice informative article by a man with an impeccable reputation....And, to just add a bit. Yesterday's Mice Chat article said the crowds had returned to Disneyland last week, but the GESWL area crowds were lower than the rest of the park. That's interesting.

Meh Lutz be Lutz

Frothing to come back to blame budget cuts on this, classic style
Yeah, but the budget cuts played a big part in making the land feel cold and dead. Lots more live entertainment plus a people mover style ride through the land would’ve done wonders to make the land feel ALIVE.

Not to mention the dinner theater show.

Looking at booking a hotel for my trip next month and compared to about 2 months ago, some of the hotels are coming in at half the price. The hotel we usually stay at about 20% is less than my last trip 2 years ago.

As disappointed as I am about ROTR not being open, the money being saved is enough combined with my air miles to book a weekend away next year to ride it at DHS if I wanted. It's crazy.

The Anaheim hotels must be hurting badly.

Yeah, but the budget cuts played a big part in making the land feel cold and dead. Lots more live entertainment plus a people mover style ride through the land would’ve done wonders to make the land feel ALIVE.

Not to mention the dinner theater show.

Honestly, it doesn't feel as cold and dead as some make it sound. There were a lot of walk-around characters when I was there, although it could be beefed up. I'm not sold on the Bantha ride.

Honestly, it doesn't feel as cold and dead as some make it sound. There were a lot of walk-around characters when I was there, although it could be beefed up. I'm not sold on the Bantha ride.
I'll see for myself when I get a chance to go here at DHS in the coming weeks, but even if you aren't sold on the ride, a ride that traverses the village would've been a great use of space, still kept an expansion plot open, and added an extra layer to the land.

Well, did it really traverse the village? The blueprints sound like it was just on the border of the land and could really only be seen from one direction.

Well, did it really traverse the village? The blueprints sound like it was just on the border of the land and could really only be seen from one direction.
I believe it was supposed to go through parts of Black Spire Outpost along with the border (the track would've been elevated however). Based on everything @Marni1971 has said about this ride, once they decided to move forward without it, it's a ride that's impossible to add to the land now as it would've needed to be built into the many components of the land.

Seems to have weaved in and out of the border according to this image

Star-Wars-C-Tickets.jpg

Reminds me of Toontown's Jolly Trolley, which did uh, not last long. (same for the Red Car Trolley at DCA?)

Seems to have weaved in and out of the border according to this image

Star-Wars-C-Tickets.jpg

Reminds me of Toontown's Jolly Trolley, which did uh, not last long. (same for the Red Car Trolley at DCA?)
The way it was described originally that I remember was that it would be a peoplemover-like journey around Black Spire Outpost. I guess it didn't necessarily go in, but it would've been viewable.

I would agree with your statement as this looks on the surface like a standard A-ticket atmosphere ride. But I think Lutz described it as a C-ticket and the simulation of the ride showed a lot of movement, leading me to believe either this was A.) more than meets the eye or B.) Not worth the hassle. Either way, the ride isn't happening.

I do hope that the land sees an expansion some day though. It doesn't seem fully fleshed out yet. I say that through pics and with RotR not being open, but still, I think the land could use a third ride and certainly the originally promised sit-down restaurant.

The land definitely needs A) the droids, B) more entertainment, like the stunt shows promised

Oga's needs an expansion, for sure, and a third ride would be nice. Even a B-ticket X-wing/Tie Fighter spinner, under the guise of training modules, probably would help some. I thought that the land was brilliant, with room to improve. I did not, however, feel that it was more lifeless than Pandora, which I think is a silly notion perpetuated by haters.

The land definitely needs A) the droids, B) more entertainment, like the stunt shows promised

Oga's needs an expansion, for sure, and a third ride would be nice. Even a B-ticket X-wing/Tie Fighter spinner, under the guise of training modules, probably would help some. I thought that the land was brilliant, with room to improve. I did not, however, feel that it was more lifeless than Pandora, which I think is a silly notion perpetuated by haters.
It's virtually impossible for anything to be more lifeless than Pandora. I go in there to get in line for FoP or eat at Satu'li. There's no other point in being there.

I'd love to see them add the droids back and figure out a way to make it, but I think people get too touchy and it literally is why we can't have nice things. Maybe they could have designated spots in the land where the droids roam and is near backstage exits, which could potentially make it easier.

It's virtually impossible for anything to be more lifeless than Pandora. I go in there to get in line for FoP or eat at Sutu'li. There's no other point in being there.

I'd love to see them add the droids back and figure out a way to make it, but I think people get too touchy and it literally is why we can't have nice things. Maybe they could have designated spots in the land where the droids roam and is near backstage exits, which could potentially make it easier.

Inside Droid Depot, they do have the R2D2 for sale that roams and greets visitors. In a more controlled space, it can work and be tested out.

I’m predicting the weekends now are gonna be brutal, but light dead weekdays until So Cal is unblocked, which will increase traffic. Its gonna suck but not in the way Disney intended.