Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Pixar's Soul

The synopsis reads as if the movie could almost be an Inside Out-adjacent film.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he came up with the idea for this while making Inside Out.

I'm pretty pumped to have 2 original Pixar films next year!

Wait wait wait wait, it's a double play on the ethereal soul and soul music. I'm 100% here for this, especially since I'm not here for the other once cause Pratt is in it (ew)
For me it’s simply an animation preference. This one looks beautiful with a great premise.
Onward has a meh premise and it looks like a bad Dreamworks movie.

I can't believe how many people are complaining about the death in the comments on the trailer. This movie has had some designs released snd the premise is in the title... I guess I understand people wanting more realism in animation but honestly this looks like it's going to be beautifully existential and I cannot wait to see it.

I’ve mostly noticed strong enthusiasm, but the biggest critique I’ve seen was the frustration with POC leads in animated movies transforming into something else 20 minutes into the movie, with things like Princess and the Frog, Brother Bear, the pigeon spy movie, etc. being the most notable offenders. While I’m really excited for Soul, I can’t say I disagree. Until Princess and the Frog, there wasn’t a black lead in a Disney film since.... Song of the South. And even Uncle Remus spent a large portion of the film voicing Brer Rabbit (among other issues with that movie lol). I love that Soul seems to be celebrating a black character’s talent and culture so I don’t want to write it off too quickly, but I can absolutely see why the trailer is frustrating to a lot of people who have been remarkably under-represented.

People finding something to complain about?
No, never...

The last 3 animated films that weren’t sequels that Disney/Pixar released were Coco, Moana and Zootopia. NEXT!

Well, the ENTIRE creative team is white here so... not a stretch for complaining. Doesn’t at all mean the film will be poor quality but it’s a completely fair complaint to have and be upset about.

That's a really good point - I did see something comparing it to Princess and the Frog and I didn't really consider it that way before.
I still really love the trailer but I understand the complaints a little more in that light.
I still think people complaining about him dying missed the point of the title :eek:O:

People finding something to complain about?
No, never...

The last 3 animated films that weren’t sequels that Disney/Pixar released were Coco, Moana and Zootopia. NEXT!

I think there’s a difference between complaining and opening a dialogue, which is what I was trying to highlight. I’ll have to find some of the comments when I have some time, but mostly what I read was a black audience really excited to see a beautiful and positive representation, but dismayed to see the same “bait and switch” of sorts that Princess and the Frog had.

Yes, Moana and Coco exist and are great, even if they have their faults. Hollywood has improved. But this transformation plot line has happened enough times you do start to wonder if it qualifies as a trend. But even if it’s not, Black people have just been wholly under-represented by Disney.

I mean, let’s just narrow it down to Disney/Pixar’s human black leads. Song of the South, Princess and the Frog, A Wrinkle in Time. These are truly the only movies I can think of right now, though I may very well be missing a few. On a whole, Disney has been reluctant to diversify, so yes Soul is exciting. But it’s also okay to ask these questions: why is the creative team all white and why has Disney not listened to the single long-standing critique of Princess and the Frog?