Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

Extremely rough estimates here, as I'm eyeballing average expenditures by guests. But based on an average nightly attendance of 28k (where 15% are passholders of some kind), and some additional spending estimates, they'll earn $160+ million over 38 days.

Ever additional 1k people a night increases the gross by $50k for the night.

26DF9177-EA19-4A5B-A3B5-DDE4704D1C83_zps18uttojx.jpeg

Just from a business point of view, a 60% gross margin seems a little high. I'd put it closer to the 30-45% range. Still a substantial number though.

I don't think any of your earnings numbers look off; but, I'm guessing there are potentially some initial costs that are missed.

Just from a business point of view, a 60% gross margin seems a little high. I'd put it closer to the 30-45% range. Still a substantial number though.

I don't think any of your earnings numbers look off; but, I'm guessing there are potentially some initial costs that are missed.
Oh, no doubt. Honestly, I think my 15% passholder estimate is likely on the low end (If I make it 25% PH, then total gross drops to $152m). And the Food/Bev numbers are probably too high (probably closer to 75-80%). Again, I'm eyeballing numbers.

Fascinating. Any clue on what Hollywood's finances look like?
No clue. There's a lot of inside baseball stuff that happens with Hollywood's event that I don't want to tackle with something like this.

I'll say Orlando tries to maximize costs with a large budget. Hollywood doesn't.

Hollywood and Orlando are also playing two very different ball games.

Orlando drives vacations which drives hotel rooms which drives daytime ticket sales in addition to Horror Nights revenue. That's the positive number you aren't seeing in Legacy's breakdown.

Hollywood is a single park with no vacations or hotel rooms to sell, and consequently very little in way of additional revenue outside of the event itself and "after 2pm" combo tickets. The event itself is the sole revenue generator. It also costs more to put on due to higher pay requirements in California (plus the park's union) and generally higher rates for skilled craftsmen due to the competitive Los Angeles film market.

They're hard to compare.

That feels about right. I think closer to $20m

I typically calculate around $800,000 for each house, and $75,000 for street = about $8.4m. That cost includes construction, purchased props, freelance design work, costumes etc. I treat it as a "total cost" estimate.

Roughly 40 performers each, plus 5 support positions, at a rough average of $11/hr. Average 28 hrs a week over 7 weeks. That's about $6.5 m.

So, you're at $15m just in the event itself.

It's safe to add another $2-3m in merchandise/food & beverage. Another $1m in marketing. $100,000 for shows. $100,000 for additional security.

In general, I'd ball park the HHN budget around $18-$19m.

THEN we get into routine park operations, which likely adds another approx $2m-$3m A NIGHT, which is the forgotten number, since the park is still a park during HHN. That adds an additional $60m-$70m to the overall cost of the event.

So, I'd wager Universal spends $90-$100m a year on HHN in Orlando.

In Hollywood, they spend $50. $48 of those dollars is spent on flying Murdy in from Ireland.
I actually laughed out loud at the Murdy part.

Have there been instances in the past where houses (specifically the tent locations) have been damaged due to storms? The only thing I’ve heard of is the Scarecrow facade being “weathered” by Irma.

Have there been instances in the past where houses (specifically the tent locations) have been damaged due to storms? The only thing I’ve heard of is the Scarecrow facade being “weathered” by Irma.

AOV's stage was by Mel's Dine In and was damaged by a hurricane a couple years ago and deemed structurally unsafe so they had to take it down. AOV had to "wing it" and come up with a new show, on the fly, that they could do in the streets and then I think a little later they put a slightly elevated platform up for them, but not a full stage with rigging and set pieces or anything.

I don't know about any houses being damaged, but sure sometime in the event's long history an external facade must have had some kind of damage. The two permanent tents are so robust and their curved design is designed to stand up to significant winds that I doubt they every sustained any actual damage.

AOV's stage was by Mel's Dine In and was damaged by a hurricane a couple years ago and deemed structurally unsafe so they had to take it down. AOV had to "wing it" and come up with a new show, on the fly, that they could do in the streets and then I think a little later they put a slightly elevated platform up for them, but not a full stage with rigging and set pieces or anything.

I don't know about any houses being damaged, but sure sometime in the event's long history an external facade must have had some kind of damage. The two permanent tents are so robust and their curved design is designed to stand up to significant winds that I doubt they every sustained any actual damage.

"Brought To You by Hurricane IRMA."

2003/2004 got it the worst. In 2002 portions of JP Evilution were destroyed. In 2004, the original corn field--Field of Screams--was decimated, and a truss tower fell in Club 666.

That was still before Universal built things to "exceed" code though. The county got a lot more strict in 2005-2006, because the structures started to be "open" for more than 30 days.