Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 29: Rob Zombie Hellbilly Deluxe

I wouldnt call it a cosplay convention but an enhanced greeting experience lol.
I loved it even if what you said happened, the clowns were never that aggresive in the movie either, they ran in some scenes but they were just as slow as the actors in the zone in most of the movie
I know, the actors really did a great job at capturing the essence of the characters in the movie. I wasn't mentioning it as a bad thing.

I've never listened to Rob Zombie (not my kind of music), but my fiancé got real excited when I mentioned this zone, and even more so that it would be cranking Hellbilly Deluxe. I have a lot of music video and album catch up to do, apparently.

I've never listened to Rob Zombie (not my kind of music), but my fiancé got real excited when I mentioned this zone, and even more so that it would be cranking Hellbilly Deluxe. I have a lot of music video and album catch up to do, apparently.

Not much really. The album isn't too long, much of it is short interludes, and there are only 5 videos I think. More if you can find the Anniversary DVD videos.

Last edited:
The props in that zone, one could see there will be Dragula, Living Dead Girl, after seeing the shark cage or gate reminded of Zombie's cover of the song I'm Your Boogieman music where he and a few zombies inspired by Lucio Fulci's Zombie film are inside while he sings the song, the others I'm not too sure about, I remembered having the Deluxe Edition of Hellbilly Deluxe that came out around 2005 or 6 and it featured unreleased videos from the Hellbilly Deluxe Era, Call Of The Zombie, Perversion 99, How To Make A Monster, Meet The Creeper, The Ballad Of Resurrection Joe And Rosa Whore, What Lurks On Channel X, The Beginning Of The End, Living Dead Girl and Return Of The Phantom Stranger which I could see them taking things from those or creating stuff from those, those songs will probably also play on out during the zone.

Well i think they are playing the entire cd. Or almost every song.
Pretty a m a z i n g........
But the zone is so crowded that everyone is walking shoulder to shoulder basically. The stages are amazing but it creates a bottle neck. Actors dont have a lot of room to move.
There are two little stages for photo ops. The dragular car and a big chair made of stone.
The zone is pretty perfect for a zombie fan.
The are like, 4 actresses in the zone that are not on stages so i feel bad for them. Because they are exposed to the crowds

Last edited:
This zone felt the most cohesive out of all the scarezones, don't know if it was cast changes when I was going through the others or just bad timing but they all felt like something was missing except this one.

It really felt like being at one of his concerts which was good, but the GoGo dancers were a little much. I hate to say it, but I don't expect the actresses on the ground to be around for long especially with the congestion. I didn't notice a whole lot of security around them either.

This zone felt the most cohesive out of all the scarezones, don't know if it was cast changes when I was going through the others or just bad timing but they all felt like something was missing except this one.

It really felt like being at one of his concerts which was good, but the GoGo dancers were a little much. I hate to say it, but I don't expect the actresses on the ground to be around for long especially with the congestion. I didn't notice a whole lot of security around them either.

Half of the walking cast ( more or less) are girls in this zone so it would seriously suck if they have to be removed. It doesnt help that sometimes they arent scaring guests but dancing to the music. Which could attrack unwanted attention.

After Carrie was harrased so heavily years ago in this area, it is interesting to see universal put so many girls like that in this particular zone. I say interesting because i wonder how they will handle the drunks bothering the girls.

There's a weird tension this year, I think, between a harder/older school HHN sensibility (sexy dancing and booze and metal and grime and scares) and what HHN has slowly been turning into for years now (more neon, clean, IP-focused, PG-13 Halloween time spooky party which is also fun but fundamentally different). And this scarezone for all its half-naked go-go dancing, faux-nazi iconography, and general sleaze is probably the strongest embodiment of the former at the entire event this year.

I still find it odd that a giant light sign of "666" is a-ok, but the pentagrams on the entryway have to be rightside up vs. the album cover where they're upside down. It really feels like there had to have been discussions back and forth between some creatives somewhere about what was and was not going to be allowed here, and that edginess is felt explicitly in a way that's missing in a lot of the rest of the event (for both good and for ill).

Still, as someone who grew up with this album it's hard not to see the scarezone's charms. Watching the skit for Living Dead Girl play out while a whole crowd sings along is pretty amazing. My only real complaint is that we don't have a Phantom Creep walking around (perhaps, much like Columbia Pictures, Universal wasn't wholly comfortable associating its brands with this level of debauchery - or maybe there just isn't that kind of room in this zone for more than one big robot costume).

There's a weird tension this year, I think, between a harder/older school HHN sensibility (sexy dancing and booze and metal and grime and scares) and what HHN has slowly been turning into for years now (more neon, clean, IP-focused, PG-13 Halloween time spooky party which is also fun but fundamentally different). And this scarezone for all its half-naked go-go dancing, faux-nazi iconography, and general sleaze is probably the strongest embodiment of the former at the entire event this year.

I still find it odd that a giant light sign of "666" is a-ok, but the pentagrams on the entryway have to be rightside up vs. the album cover where they're upside down. It really feels like there had to have been discussions back and forth between some creatives somewhere about what was and was not going to be allowed here, and that edginess is felt explicitly in a way that's missing in a lot of the rest of the event (for both good and for ill).

Still, as someone who grew up with this album it's hard not to see the scarezone's charms. Watching the skit for Living Dead Girl play out while a whole crowd sings along is pretty amazing. My only real complaint is that we don't have a Phantom Creep walking around (perhaps, much like Columbia Pictures, Universal wasn't wholly comfortable associating its brands with this level of debauchery - or maybe there just isn't that kind of room in this zone for more than one big robot costume).
Yeah you nailed it . This is definitely a look into the past
I didnt mention the "faux nazi" hats and iconography before because it is a sensitive manner,but those costumes could get the zone and universal in trouble. I could see someone getting upset.
By all measures, this zone shouldnt exist in 2019 lol. Between those outfits and the go go dancers, it is very surprising that it got created to begin with. It makes me wonder why and how it even got created in the first place.

But you also have to consider that rob zombie had alot of say in his zone and maybe everything in the zone were his ideas. I wonder why uni did this zone in the first place, why they added the things they did, and how much involvement rob had.
I really love the zone a lot, but it makes you wonder

What faux nazi girls are there? The one dancing with the fuzzy hat is USSR and she was featured in the Dragula video or are you talking about the dominatrix girls on the ground?

The girls On the ground.
ahh gotcha, I didn't even pick up on it. I just thought they were stereotypical dominatrix outfits, but you're right. Looks like the design and style he used in Werewolf Women of the SS.

I wouldn't think SS type outfits would be anything they would get in trouble for.

My only gripe with this zone was that there was no Phantom Creep robot on the zone, he's now on it. Congratulations in creating the best San Fran scarezone guys!​