2019 Hurricane Thread | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

2019 Hurricane Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don’t really understand this at all. Why not cancel for tomorrow night? Nothing serious is going to happen in Orlando tonight or day tomorrow.

It's not a hospital, or even a food store. Theme parks pretty much the first thing that should close--keep thousands off the roads, give them a last chance to prep. There is nothing essential about keeping a park open.

They seem to be getting a lot of flack for their announcement of not closing, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them close early with Disney.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1567469431233.jpg
    FB_IMG_1567469431233.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 27
USF has the benefit of having so many indoor attractions that they can take down stuff and prep stuff outdoors without affecting guest operations. IOA probably gonna shut down all the coasters and water rides leaving on Spiderman, Forbidden Journey, Posedion, and Cat in the Hat open so more workers to prep and ready the remaining attractions for the storm.

Disney unfortunately does not have that option and is more affected by weather thanks to Magic Kingdom essentially being isolated and accessible by ferry and monorail. Same thing with Epcot and the Epcot buses and monorails from other resorts.

It's not a hospital, or even a food store. Theme parks pretty much the first thing that should close--keep thousands off the roads, give them a last chance to prep. There is nothing essential about keeping a park open.

Well I think that theme parks are necessary under such adversity... to keep peoples spirits up! :tease:

I've been told they're planning on closing when Disney is but they can't announce it until the county gives specific warnings/curfews.
I mean, they’re a large corporation though that employs a lot of workers in the county. I understand the county is gonna do their own thing, but I feel like this is a choice, not that they can’t.

Reactions: SeventyOne
This does seem like very strange form for such a prominent theme park. I wonder if HHN has anything to do with this decision? Disney has everything set up for NSSHP and doesn't require as many moving parts as HHN, so them closing early makes sense in that regard.

Sitting here in Jupiter, FL and it really hasn’t gotten bad at all. The storm is literally just sitting right off the coast. It’s actually stationary over the Bahamas pounding away.

If anybody has the means to donate anything to the islands of the Bahamas I would strongly urge you to do so. The islands got absolutely demolished and they don’t have the means to rebuild and getting supplies to them won’t be easy considering all the damage done.

Reactions: Magic-Man
The storm still hasn't moved from the Bahamas, so today should be OK most of the day with occasional showers/downpours and wind, but still not too terrible until later in the day.

PARK HOURS:
Universal Studios Florida: 9am - 9pm
Islands of Adventure: 9 am - 9 pm
Volcano Bay: Closed
CityWalk: Open until 2am every day

Questions? Tweet us using #AskUniversal

Tweeted 15 minutes ago

PARK HOURS:
Universal Studios Florida: 9am - 9pm
Islands of Adventure: 9 am - 9 pm
Volcano Bay: Closed
CityWalk: Open until 2am every day

Questions? Tweet us using #AskUniversal

Tweeted 15 minutes ago
Back during Irma, they closed the park early (5pm) and didn’t announce until 3pm.

I imagine they’re waiting on the County, but with the storm going further out, I’m not even sure if a curfew/early closure will be necessary today.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
I will say that the rain an winds here are picking up. Local weather still predicting us to get Tropical Storm force winds by tomorrow.

This thing sure is taking it's sweet time.

asnl0cy8q9k31.jpg

I'm thinking Universal did the right thing. As long as the storm keeps moving away there will be people coming out. Add to that no school, locals knowing there will be no lines, and (if I'm not mistaken) no pass blockouts today, they could get a decent crowd as long as the weather stays like it is with just light wind and brief periods of rain. If that changes, they close earlier, no big deal and no immediate danger.

Reactions: Obi Ubamba
I'm thinking Universal did the right thing. As long as the storm keeps moving away there will be people coming out. Add to that no school, locals knowing there will be no lines, and (if I'm not mistaken) no pass blockouts today, they could get a decent crowd as long as the weather stays like it is with just light wind and brief periods of rain. If that changes, they close earlier, no big deal and no immediate danger.
I think the parks are gonna be absolutely DEAD today. Especially if the rain and wind keeps up.