Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

Took advantage of EMH this morning as my sister’s in town. We rope dropped MK and did 13 attractions (without any FP+) before park hopping at 10:30. All mountains, 7 dwarfs, Peter Pan, all of it. Took our time and stopped for snacks on the way lol.

I mean, in the latest Tracker video Universal Florida studios park was insanely dead also. Rockit had 4 riders in the train. Orlando is deadddd.

Orlando is definitely slow right now due to cancelled trips from the storm across multiple states.

Orlando was slow the 2 to 3 weeks leading up to the hurricane, at least. Heard some UOR numbers last night, and their August has to be giving them nightmares the way GE is giving Disney, just without social media covering it in detail. I'm on record as not a fan of what they did with GE, and I think its failings play a role, but all theme parks seem to be struggling this Summer.

Well I’ve been here all morning since opening and so far smugglers hasn’t been above a 60 minute wait, got lunch at docking bay 7 in 5 minutes and got a reservation for oga’s. Did smugglers 3 times, rock n roller coaster twice, slinky dog and the new Lightning McQueen show (don’t do it).

It’s true, the weekend is here and the parks are still dead, even from locals. Craziness...

Yeah DHS really wasn’t busy today. Arrived at the park at like 9:45 am, waited 20-25 minutes for Slinky (posted 40), like 40-45 minutes for MFSR (posted 60), about 10 for Alien Swirling Saucers, Fastpassed Tower of Terror about 11:30 am (posted 25 - standby was just wrapped around the building a bit next to the lobby), walked on RnRC single rider (app posted 30, physical sign posted 15 since the wait time sign was off, single rider took me straight to the preshow holding area and I was about five people back from the front of the line). Finally hit Star Tours around 12:30 pm which was 15 posted but was actually a walk on. One of the simulators on our side was completely empty and our simulator was maybe a third full. Thought about hitting TSM (was 30 min posted) before Star Tours but nah.

Not sure if this is the hurricane effect, general off-season crowds or something to do with SWGE. But we basically did everything except TSM that wasn’t a show between 9:45 am and 12:45 pm on a Saturday and that’s pretty neat.

Edit - app is definitely showing higher wait times now as of 2:30 pm, but that was still a very light morning for a Saturday imo.

Yeah DHS really wasn’t busy today. Arrived at the park at like 9:45 am, waited 20-25 minutes for Slinky (posted 40), like 40-45 minutes for MFSR (posted 60), about 10 for Alien Swirling Saucers, Fastpassed Tower of Terror about 11:30 am (posted 25 - standby was just wrapped around the building a bit next to the lobby), walked on RnRC single rider (app posted 30, physical sign posted 15 since the wait time sign was off, single rider took me straight to the preshow holding area and I was about five people back from the front of the line). Finally hit Star Tours around 12:30 pm which was 15 posted but was actually a walk on. One of the simulators on our side was completely empty and our simulator was maybe a third full. Thought about hitting TSM (was 30 min posted) before Star Tours but nah.

Not sure if this is the hurricane effect, general off-season crowds or something to do with SWGE. But we basically did everything except TSM that wasn’t a show between 9:45 am and 12:45 pm on a Saturday and that’s pretty neat.

Edit - app is definitely showing higher wait times now as of 2:30 pm, but that was still a very light morning for a Saturday imo.

Crowds are the biggest dilemma as a theme park fan. Low crowds are enjoyable, but when are they an...ominous sign?

Crowds are the biggest dilemma as a theme park fan. Low crowds are enjoyable, but when are they an...ominous sign?

I also find if it’s too empty it detracts from the atmosphere. Universal in the ‘dead week’ last December before the Christmas crowds hit was so empty it felt a bit stale somehow.

To bring this slightly back on topic, I think the market area in GE really needs to be bustling to work as intended. Pretty sure it was depicted as busy-ish in the concept art, even, and has been emptier than that in many of the photos I’ve seen.

Hate to steer this conversation away from Galaxy's Edge, but is this normal for early September crowd wise? I know the hurricane had to have played a part in these low crowd levels. Seems crazy that Smugglers Run is having 35-40 minute waits one week after opening.

Early September, especially the week after Labor Day has been historically the lowest attended week at the parks. It was why Night of Joy was added in the 1980s to boost attendance (even though it had been running at Disneyland in May for a few years before). It is also why Universal added Rock the Universe later. Currently, the events of Mickey's Not So Scarry, Epcot's Food and Wine, and Halloween Horror Nights start this early for same reason. Probably why Galaxy's Edge opened as early as it did to try and boost numbers as well.

Parks look slower than even the normal September slow so far today. At 12:30 PM , MF posted at 35 minutes. FOP at 35 minutes. 7 Dwarfs Mine Train at 40 minutes. Actual times are probably even lower. Universal looks pretty slow too.

School is officially back for most of America now, it’s hot AF out, and a lot of folks trips were cancelled from the hurricane = best time to visit, other than it being hot AF out.