Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

Maybe because they reserve the tunnel of stomach distress for 3d houses and they haven't done one since then?

Just didn't know if there was any actual reason since it has been used for non-3D houses in the past (Dead End, Chucky, Interstellar Terror, etc.). I mean, there was a period from 2006-2013 where it was in a house every single year and only 3 of those 8 houses were 3D.

Some general observations after two nights:
  • The 80s theme is carried throughout, works really well. Arguably the most thematically coherent year ever.
  • Content of the event aside--it's skewing very young this year. A friend of mine who pays no attention to boards or twitter likened the crowd to a mall, hordes of middle school and high school kids just "hanging out." Also already had four parent friends reach out asking about taking kids under 10 to see Ghostbusters*/Stranger Things. Not looking to stir up a content debate, but this is a noticeable trend.
  • Finns has the queue but left most of the comfy seating up front. Yet to see it overwhelmed either night, late Saturday it was actually kind of dead.

* - Still amazes me how even people my age forget how edgy Ghostbusters was when it came out. The sequel and the cartoon were kids properties, but not the original.

• Content of the event aside--it's skewing very young this year. A friend of mine who pays no attention to boards or twitter likened the crowd to a mall, hordes of middle school and high school kids just "hanging out." Also already had four parent friends reach out asking about taking kids under 10 to see Ghostbusters*/Stranger Things. Not looking to stir up a content debate, but this is a noticeable trend.

* - Still amazes me how even people my age forget how edgy Ghostbusters was when it came out. The sequel and the cartoon were kids properties, but not the original.

:puke:

I mean, my first year I was a middle schooler, but still. I really like the increased amount of gore this year, so I hope it and the strippers don't get taken out!

I assume you like it better than last year?

Last edited:
I feel like the crowd at horror nights is OLDER on average than any other haunted house/attraction I've been too. Most of the regional stuff I've been to is mostly teens... I just think teens are the most attracted demographic to this type of thing, and the reason that HHN usually has less is because it's so expensive.

Just didn't know if there was any actual reason since it has been used for non-3D houses in the past (Dead End, Chucky, Interstellar Terror, etc.). I mean, there was a period from 2006-2013 where it was in a house every single year and only 3 of those 8 houses were 3D.

You’d think Killer Klownz would be a perfect fit for it?

Still amazes me how even people my age forget how edgy Ghostbusters was when it came out. The sequel and the cartoon were kids properties, but not the original.
Yep! That was the time I grew up as well, we also had Police Academy and Toxic Avenger cartoons and toys. There seemed to be no issue at all adopting adult stuff for kids, it was great! Of course by the time they got around to making GB 2 they focused more on the kid audience.

Back in duff gardens for stay n scream. Pretty lightish crowd. All trying to stay in the shade. I’ll say I’ve had an absolute blast this weekend. Brought a first timer who’s loved it all. My rankings so far (still have tonight and this thurs-Sunday to do)

1) universal monsters
2) graveyard games
3) ghostbusters
4) killer klowns
5) ho1k corpses
6) nightingales
7) yeti
8) stranger things
9) depths of fear
10) us

I’ll end up going into detail on my final review, but I honestly don’t see this changing much. Everything has been really strong. I don’t NOT like any of the houses. Scarezones...well. They are a thing.

Some people were saying that the IP houses were made very tame and safe, but that the originals are gory and scary .
I could see that being the case

I hadn’t thought about it, but I went both Friday and Saturday and kind of agree with this. It felt to me like Graveyard Games and Nightingales were among the most aggressive of any of the houses I’ve done in my seven years going to the event. Depths was pretty intense at times too. And, in Yeti, the intensity was there, but the timing was off so that I was either in front of or behind most scares both times I walked through the house. The IP’s have scares (with StrTh having the weakest scares imo) and I enjoyed them, especially UM, GB and KKfOS, but on average, the IP’s felt like they lacked intensity. The only serious exception to that, I would say, is Monsters, which has the obvious original twists to it.

How would those of you have gone so far rank this year as compared to 2016, 2017, and 2018?

Lagoon show triumphs over ALL years lol. Lagoon show automatically wins.

House wise is basically the same. Maybe a little less scary. Less scary this year
Scarezone wise they were a little better those years. But the theme this year is more strong

Lagoon show triumphs over ALL years lol. Lagoon show automatically wins.

House wise is basically the same. Maybe a little less scary. Less scary this year
Scarezone wise they were a little better those years. But the theme this year is more strong

Agree about the IPs, disagree about the originals. Hard to say if it’ll stay that way going forward, and maybe I just have a much higher tolerance for non-humanoid costumes. but I found all four to be up to HHN scare standards. :shrug:

Alright guys, I got a question. I'm planning on doing the Finnegans Stay and Scream the first night I go (Wed Sep 25th). I will have Express that night, but still want to maximize the time I have.

So gun to your head, what house should I line up for first? GB or ST?