Portofino Bay | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Portofino Bay

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
:thumbsup: Hope you're enjoying you vacation. We're just missing you. We're arriving On May 16th, and for a change of pace we're doing Royal Pacific (got a good price on a suite) and finishing up with a few nights at Cabana Bay. Every now and then I like to switch hotels just to keep the experience fresh.

I know, we are just missing you! I think I told you my folks have a place in Davenport now so we got here Saturday, stayed at PBH from Monday through check-out today. We’re back at the house now, flying out Saturday morning. It’s been a nice vacation, staying on-site is invaluable as you know and it gave us a nice rest.

Reactions: Mad Dog
We're doing a trip last week of July, and the APH price for this is $287. So we're staying here for the first time!

Two questions:
1) Are there really bathrobes? Can you keep them?
2) Has anyone ever done "turndown service"? I think I'd be so embarrassed to even ask for this, but apparently it is a thing.

We're doing a trip last week of July, and the APH price for this is $287. So we're staying here for the first time!

Two questions:
1) Are there really bathrobes? Can you keep them?
2) Has anyone ever done "turndown service"? I think I'd be so embarrassed to even ask for this, but apparently it is a thing.
Yes they have white bathrobes, with Portofino embroidered on the front. No, you can't take them with you.....Standard rooms don't come with turn down service, but Club,Suites, and the other upgraded rooms have complimentary turn down service. It's nice, but not a game breaker. They'll do a late tidy up of your bed, refresh the towels etc. and leave a couple bottles of free water.

Reactions: therock and Skold
Yeah, this trip here was awesome.

Not a big fan of the pool-side restaurant-only tables (just want to have a beer and read!), but we did a couple walk-throughs of the entire hotel and it is unbelievable.

Water-taxi service was great, or course, but the walk was pretty awesome as well. And the view as you come in is just gorgeous.

CBBR is our "favored/home" resort but there was a pretty great APH deal for this. Even without the Express Pass, we're doing Portofino every time when deals come around.

I found much more appreciation for this place when a read the Wikipedia article about Portofino. It even calls out UOR!

We did a walk-through of the villa pool, main square, and the conference halls. Theming is top-notch; we refer this trip as our trip to Italy. :grin:

Last edited:
Yeah, this trip here was awesome.

Not a big fan of the pool-side restaurant-only tables (just want to have a beer and read!), but we did a couple walk-throughs of the entire hotel and it is unbelievable.

Water-taxi service was great, or course, but the walk was pretty awesome as well. And the view as you come in is just gorgeous.

CBBR is our "favored/home" resort but there was a pretty great APH deal for this. Even without the Express Pass, we're doing Portofino every time when deals come around.

I found much more appreciation for this place when a read the Wikipedia article about Portofino. It even calls out UOR!

We did a walk-through of the villa pool, main square, and the conference halls. Theming is top-notch; we refer this trip as out trip to Itlay. :grin:
It seems like Uni really did their homework when creating this resort.

Reactions: therock and Mad Dog
On Universal's website, which appears to be a new design, Universal announced that they will be renovating the Portofino rooms during the first and second quarters of 2020....and that there will be walls up in the areas that they are renovating on a rotating basis.

On Universal's website, which appears to be a new design, Universal announced that they will be renovating the Portofino rooms during the first and second quarters of 2020....and that there will be walls up in the areas that they are renovating on a rotating basis.

Could be a good time for a good deal.

Reactions: therock
Did not see this posted anywhere so....

Loews Portofino Bay Hotel will undergo guest room renovations in the first and second quarters of 2020. During this time, work will be done by floor and temporary walls will be put in place to close off the hallways where renovations are taking place. During this time, there will be noise in some areas where enhancements are taking place. We appreciate your understanding, as we work to upgrade our guest rooms and suites. Grazie!

Mods move it or delete if it is old news

Did not see this posted anywhere so....

Loews Portofino Bay Hotel will undergo guest room renovations in the first and second quarters of 2020. During this time, work will be done by floor and temporary walls will be put in place to close off the hallways where renovations are taking place. During this time, there will be noise in some areas where enhancements are taking place. We appreciate your understanding, as we work to upgrade our guest rooms and suites. Grazie!

Mods move it or delete if it is old news
They actually started on some rooms earlier this year. I believe we talked about this prior.

Reactions: JoeCamel
They actually started on some rooms earlier this year. I believe we talked about this prior.

Directly above.

Have you noticed any good deals? I know you like to have a look and have your finger on the pulse at all things Universal hotel pricing.

Directly above.

Have you noticed any good deals? I know you like to have a look and have your finger on the pulse at all things Universal hotel pricing.
I've been checking on prices ever since the announcement a way back. Deals have not been good. Actually prices went up more than in the past. Even the Stay More Save More rates are getting a bit steep..and.....They've already worked on the handicapped accessible rooms.

Ooops, newbie mistake not to RTFF

RTFF?
I've been checking on prices ever since the announcement a way back. Deals have not been good. Actually prices went up more than in the past. Even the Stay More Save More rates are getting a bit steep..and.....They've already worked on the handicapped accessible rooms.

I’ve been checking the hotels as well but I can’t justify the prices for the higher end hotels for 4 rooms for 10 nights when CBBBR is less than half the price.

There’s a huge jump in prices from last year but I got a last minute deal so it could maybe be just that.

RTFF?

I’ve been checking the hotels as well but I can’t justify the prices for the higher end hotels for 4 rooms for 10 nights when CBBBR is less than half the price.

There’s a huge jump in prices from last year but I got a last minute deal so it could maybe be just that.
I agree. I did CBBR in November, and if I go in May it'll probably be CBBR again. Rates have risen fast at the deluxe resorts and they significantly cut the number of Value pricing weeks. Love CBBR. Best value, for what they offer, of all of the Disney & Universal on site resorts. When Lowes disbanded their Rewards Program this year, it significantly lessened the value of a Deluxe Hotel booking.

To be honest, I found the Lobby level renovations at RP a bit cold and sterile. I guess the market is OK. Thought the guest services aspect had gone downhill as well.

To be honest, I found the Lobby level renovations at RP a bit cold and sterile. I guess the market is OK. Thought the guest services aspect had gone downhill as well.
Yeah, I agree on the RP lobby. I stopped by in November, took a look around, and thought what had been a warm comfy looking area, now had the sterile look of a Marriot business hotel lobby. The addition of the grab and go was good though. And, at least they didn't touch the elegant Elephant outdoor courtyard. The new Sushi Bar and seating is very cold & sterile looking, and they lost the comfortable seating area of a section of the previous lobby.....And guest service downhill too. I've booked a couple of hundred nights in the deluxes over the past nine years and always had a mgr. come over to greet me when I checked in,plus a welcome basket in the room. Nothing this last time even though I booked a suite. Very disappointed in the post Rewards Program way of treating repeat travelers.

Last edited:
Interesting observations. My wife and I just stayed a few weeks ago, booked an one night last minute to the beginning of our trip at CBBR to avoid a snow storm back home. Was given 2 drink vouchers at check in to use at any of their in house food locations for our anniversary. Moved to Portofino for 5 nights as our originally planned trip entailed, and was promptly given 2 celebration pins. Big whoop. I can’t say we really enjoyed CBBR, just not our vibe at all, but they certainly were trying harder to make an impression.

When Lowes disbanded their Rewards Program this year, it significantly lessened the value of a Deluxe Hotel booking.

That move truly baffled me. I know you and I have discussed this at length before, but for those that weren’t privy, it simply comes down to: They’re too big in too many domestic/business hotbeds to drop a loyalty program.

My family and I travel a lot.
I’m highest status for both Hyatt (Globalist) and Hilton (Diamond) as well as a high tier for Marriott (Platinum).
We flew 64,000 miles this year for leisure alone; 16 trips, 8 of which were international.

I specifically seek out brands that I have status for. Every hotel and airline brand realizes this. Some do very well with it (Hyatt) and some are poor (Airlines), but they make the effort. A perfect comparison to Loews is Omni I’m terms of size and locations. Omni is part of Discovery, which partners with a couple dozen other smaller chains. Outrigger, Meritage, etc. Small Luxury Hotels is another that was smaller and partnered with Hyatt instead of dropping its program outright. The list goes on. But again, they’re too large to not focus on it. I used to stay at Loews but dropped them simply due to losing YouFirst. I only stay with them in Orlando now.

I’m currently at the Park Hyatt in Mendoza and got upgraded to the 1700 square foot presidential suite. 8 bottles of wine, more chocolate than I could stomach and a stocked fridge.
Clearly, that’s not what’s expected. But a $5 bottle of sparkling wine, access to a breakfast buffet on-site, or even just a couple of macarons make all the difference in feeling appreciated as a returning customer or not. And because Thompson was acquired by Hyatt, I’ll never return to Loews outside of Orlando again.