Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The comic book versions of Spider-Man and Incredible Hulk will far outlast the MCU versions.

Marvel Super Hero Island at IOA is essentially timeless.
YES. MSHI is timeless the way it's set up. No need for MCU there. The land is extremely successful, it always has a crowd, the attractions are popular as all hell....the old...if it's not broke, don't try to fix it....Yes, it could use a a bit better and longer Super Hero show and some love with the cardboard cutouts....but that's really minor stuff. In it's present set up, it's one of the 'most popular' theme park lands anywhere....and heck, it has four rides, two of which are considered among the best in their genre. You don't often see that many rides with the newer single IP lands in theme parks.
I agree with idea that the IPs are timeless and 2 out of 4 rides are good, but it's depressing that we may never get a new attraction in this land. Unless Disney somehow allows for that to happen (which seems unlikely).
Sorry for not quoting this with my previous message and response, not sure how to do that but also don't wanna flood this board with my responses!
FYI...
1) Hit "Reply" to the post you want to quote.
2) Copy the quoted area.
3) Hit "Edit" to your post you want to update.
4) Paste the quote into your post.

Last edited:
Very true. So perfect then, Lord Of The Rings AND D.C. Comics. Perfect!
Remember WB has the film rights for these productions only. The actual rights are held by another company (Saul Zests or something) and its unknown ho, if any, have theme park rights.

Remember WB has the film rights for these productions only. The actual rights are held by another company (Saul Zests or something) and its unknown ho, if any, have theme park rights.
Oh I know, just having playful fun hoping we somehow land both of them haha. Its been an ongoing thing forever about LOTR. Maybe if we all speculate enough, it'll come true?

I've been enjoying new Dark Crystal series on Netflix. Do DK rights belong to Disney? (through Jim Henson) That IP has a nice enviroment and lore that could be a nice miniland or ride in an Universal park.

I've been enjoying new Dark Crystal series on Netflix. Do DK rights belong to Disney? (through Jim Henson) That IP has a nice enviroment and lore that could be a nice miniland or ride in an Universal park.

Nope...owned completely by Henson Company while Universal does have a history with the Dark Crystal, I don't think they necessarily want a land based off it. One of the issues with the land was it was way too scary for children when it was first released.

As Quinn mentioned, it's actually a film that was distributed by Universal Pictures and created by the Jim Henson Company (and to preface, The Jim Henson Company is completely independant even if The Muppets is owned by Disney).

While I doubt it, it's possible; but they'd have to go through Netflix.

Could we see new monsters in Universal Monsters World, especially since Universal greenlit a movie with Paul Feig involving some classic monsters with new original monsters being added?

Could we see new monsters in Universal Monsters World, especially since Universal greenlit a movie with Paul Feig involving some classic monsters with new original monsters being added?

I'd assume they'd use the tried and tested, considering that most will be able to easily identify Frankensteins Monster, The Bride, Mummy, and Dracula from a mile away. If anything; I have to think it's possible that they might include Phantom, Quasimodo, and Norman Bates, considering the concept art seemingly looks like it'll have a front that's eerily reminiscent of the Bates House.

I'd assume they'd use the tried and tested, considering that most will be able to easily identify Frankensteins Monster, The Bride, Mummy, and Dracula from a mile away. If anything; I have to think it's possible that they might include Phantom, Quasimodo, and Norman Bates, considering the concept art seemingly looks like it'll have a front that's eerily reminiscent of the Bates House.

If I remember right, Murdy is rumored to be writing the treatment for the land and the main attraction so that means for such Frankenstein will be present since he has a huge bias for it. I'm just more so curious since Murdy also was involved with designing the house at Universal Studios Singapore based on historical classic Asian monsters as well as the Paul Feig added to the Universal Monster Canon with new monsters, if they will be included within the land since they still have a little bit of time to tweak attraction design.

If I remember right, Murdy is rumored to be writing the treatment for the land and the main attraction so that means for such Frankenstein will be present since he has a huge bias for it. I'm just more so curious since Murdy also was involved with designing the house at Universal Studios Singapore based on historical classic Asian monsters as well as the Paul Feig added to the Universal Monster Canon with new monsters, if they will be included within the land since they still have a little bit of time to tweak attraction design.

Murdy has a bias for Universal Monsters in general. I would be more surprised if one monster gets more in the attraction than the others (outside of the Count himself).

Murdy is writing the script for the Frankenstein Castle Kuka-coaster ride. The land’s treatment is developed by Creative.

That said... Universal can categorize any popular, older (classic) movie with a “horror” character (monster) as a “Classic Monster.”

Murdy is writing the script for the Frankenstein Castle Kuka-coaster ride. The land’s treatment is developed by Creative.

That said... Universal can categorize any popular, older (classic) movie with a “horror” character (monster) as a “Classic Monster.”

I've always wondered why they didn't try to adapt different-feeling-but-still-gothic creatures like Lovecraft beasties, MR and Henry James ghosts, Wendigos, Harvest Home (NBC did a mini-series out of that before the merger, I think) and some of Dan Simmons's stuff as "Universal new monsters" or something. No reason to be stuck with the classic sextet.

I've always wondered why they didn't try to adapt different-feeling-but-still-gothic creatures like Lovecraft beasties, MR and Henry James ghosts, Wendigos, Harvest Home (NBC did a mini-series out of that before the merger, I think) and some of Dan Simmons's stuff as "Universal new monsters" or something. No reason to be stuck with the classic sextet.
Why stick with gothic?

Not to beat a dead horse, but rewatching Crimes of Grindewald on my flight, if the concept art is accurate, boy it sure does look like Paris to me!

Why stick with gothic?

Consistency, but good point. They stuck Chucky in HoH, anything's possible.

If this whole Dark Universe thing with BH gets off the ground, I want to see Del Toro finish his Mountains of Madness and Drood movies. Those are both Universal and would fit right in with Universal's classic offerings.

And hell, if they get New Line Cinema, then giving Del Toro his Hobbit movies then that would be an incredible Cinephile moment and would fit right into an attraction.

For the past few weeks, there have been rumors AT&T were going to sell some WB related assets and the trades today are pushing out activist investor articles pushing AT&T leadership to sell non core assets which could things in flux. Especially since some of the alleged assets are New Line Cinema (Lord of the Rings right holder for film, television, and goods) DC Entertainment, and Otter Media in the media realm (There are others but won't affect parks).

With Comcast rumored to be in talks to purchase some assets, if they get certain assets, I'm sure the park may change in some areas.

Are we sure that they're selling DC Entertainment (which includes IPs and such) or DC Comics, which is just the print arm? Because while the Comics have been moribund recently (ditto Marvel, they just release more), the IPs are still hugely valuable and timeless. I'm sure even AT&T realizes that.

Consistency, but good point. They stuck Chucky in HoH, anything's possible.

If this whole Dark Universe thing with BH gets off the ground, I want to see Del Toro finish his Mountains of Madness and Drood movies. Those are both Universal and would fit right in with Universal's classic offerings.

And hell, if they get New Line Cinema, then giving Del Toro his Hobbit movies then that would be an incredible Cinephile moment and would fit right into an attraction.

Are we sure that they're selling DC Entertainment (which includes IPs and such) or DC Comics, which is just the print arm? Because while the Comics have been moribund recently (ditto Marvel, they just release more), the IPs are still hugely valuable and timeless. I'm sure even AT&T realizes that.
The film rights to The Hobbit are a nightmare, which is why the trilogy took so long. MGM holds distribution rights, but not production rights. The production rights are held by Middle Earth Enterprises (formerly Sauel Zaetz) as well as theatrical, merchandise and other rights. It is unknown if theme park rights were included. Peter Jackson's LoTR series was also made under contract with Middle Earth Enterprises.

In the parks at UOR now, and honestly I think Universal needs to step up their in park dining just a bit at EU. Its not bad now, and USF actually has quite a few options, but man, IOA for lunch/dinner is tough to find. Mythos was disappointing yesterday (doesn't always mean its bad, but I've also read on here it seems on the decline), and 3 Broomsticks are the only standouts. Is the Marvel cafe any good? Idk, I just feel Universal has really stepped up with dining at their new resorts and Citywalk, but could use it in their parks a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.