Disneyland’s Attendance Issues Summer 2019 | Page 25 | Inside Universal Forums

Disneyland’s Attendance Issues Summer 2019

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Today from Mice Chat..."California's future projects will be seeing some big cuts pretty soon"

There isn't much to cut from Avengers Crapus phase 1, but that phase 2 e-ticket may now be dowgraded to an Avengers themed churro stand ;) (in the interests of Disney style cost cutting I have recycled that joke from about a year ago ;))

It really does suck that bottom line greed appears to have damaged park performance and 'could' now affect future investment.

There isn't much to cut from Avengers Crapus phase 1, but that phase 2 e-ticket may now be dowgraded to an Avengers themed churro stand ;) (in the interests of Disney style cost cutting I have recycled that joke from about a year ago ;))

It really does suck that bottom line greed appears to have damaged park performance and 'could' now affect future investment.
Churro Stand castmembers dressed in Avengers outfits and showing you how to build a Churro, special charge....Shades of GESWL castmembers, "Bright Suns to you. Now can I have your $200 deposit"

Churro Stand castmembers dressed in Avengers outfits and showing you how to build a Churro, special charge....Shades of GESWL castmembers, "Bright Suns to you. Now can I have your $200 deposit"

Shhhhhhhhh! Don't want to give the bean counters ideas like that!

Reactions: Mad Dog
Per Tom Williams CEO of Universal Parks in a conference call with Merill Lynch

Merill Lynch Employee:
Right. And Disney invested at least $1 billion to create each of the Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland and then again at, well, Disney World. Interestingly, at Disneyland, attendance declined post the opening which Disney attributed to crowd management. And it appears that, like just as you alluded to, about not giving specifics to that effect, it appears that people and all the visitors delayed their time in Orlando because they were waiting for Star Wars to open. What impact have you felt in your parks, both in California and Florida as a result of the Galaxy's Edge opening?

Tom Williams:
Yes. Because we opened both Hagrid in Orlando, we open that on June 13. So they didn't open Star Wars in Orlando till, I think it was August 27. So we had a head start. So Orlando did fine. We just went through a hurricane, Hurricane Dorian. So that slowed things down for about a week. But we really came out of it pretty, well, physically unscathed, just a matter of attendance drop off because of obvious and logical people have concern about visiting during that timeframe.

In Hollywood, we had the brand new recently refurbished Jurassic World ride which has really been a hit with locals since we opened. So we have been fine on both coasts. I think both markets have seen some level of the decreased visitation and perhaps part of that is holding off in anticipation of the Star Wars opening. I think that's behind us now. For certain, the chapters, the final chapter of the book does not close on Star Wars. There is going to be plenty of opportunity for success going forward for them. And one of the things we have learned through research is that Star Wars fans are also Harry Potter fans. And we have got Harry Potter in heavy doses on both coasts. So I think we will get our fair share in both cases.

Huh, Universal must attract a lot of amateur meteorologists. It's guests knew to stay away from the parks--which were topping out at 7k to 9k guests a day by mid-August--weeks before Dorian even made the local news. Some of them even stayed away from Volcano Bay, forcing them to drop restrictions on APs, a good two months before the non-hurricane hurricane!

Must be it tho. A CEO would never spin horrible news when talking to investors.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Huh, Universal must attract a lot of amateur meteorologists. It's guests knew to stay away from the parks--which were topping out at 7k to 9k guests a day by mid-August--weeks before Dorian even made the local news. Some of them even stayed away from Volcano Bay, forcing them to drop restrictions on APs, a good two months before the non-hurricane hurricane!

Yes. That interview seemed to be a lot of spin, worthy of a politician. Reminded me of Iger when Disney has flat attendance, and he says they're trying to keep attendance down so the guest experience is better. :lol:

That bad? Yeesh. I’ll see what some of my contacts say.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I’ve only been checking the app on and off but is the general consensus that DLR has been very light on crowds this week? I’m going to be at DLR next Tuesday and Wednesday and am unsure if I should go for a two day park hopper since DL and DCA are so close together and crowds look to be light.

I’ve only been checking the app on and off but is the general consensus that DLR has been very light on crowds this week? I’m going to be at DLR next Tuesday and Wednesday and am unsure if I should go for a two day park hopper since DL and DCA are so close together and crowds look to be light.
Looks like the only attractions with lines at Disneyland this week are Haunted Mansion with the Halloween overlay, and Matterhorn, which has one track down. Besides those two, just about every ride at Disneyland & DCA have short or walk on lines for the past many weeks. Even Radiator Springs has had fairly short lines. There's really no reason that scenario should change for the rest of September. and all AP's are open to go, except the ones that have weekend restrictions.

Guess I’ll go with the two day park hopper then for Tuesday and Wednesday since weekday crowds have been so light. Will prolly add Maxpass to fully utilize my time. Haven’t been to DLR in like 10 years :D

Yes. The crowds/lines the last three days are higher than the previous weeks/months. So imagine how slow those were.....enjoy, have FUN.

I may have spoke too soon as the afternoon crowd is a world apart from this morning. Space Mountain was a walk on at 10am with a 60min wait now. All the action in the park seemed to be based around Haunted Mansion.

Overall, still quieter than previous visits and MaxPass is a great deal.

If they added magic bands it would be perfect. Even as a paid system, I’d be more than happy for it to be introduced to WDW and be free for all hotel guests.

You have to wonder how many FP are booked and never used.

From Disney’s POV, it allows them to charge and it’s fair for all guests so satisfaction jumps.

It’s so liberating to not have to preplan fastpasses. With maxpass you can just get a read on wait times when you arrive and throughout the day and book whatever works best. This day has been chill as hell. Super duper easy.

What park you doing today? I’m at the Jazz Kitchen having a big beer and lunch.