Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion | Page 200 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I remember the opening night for 2016 was pretty insane, but once they introduced 5pm early entry that year, it became much more manageable. I am glad that I got all the mazes in on fan preview night, so I know what is worth waiting for. I am definitely not doing Stranger Things again, and will only do Pandora again if it has a very short wait.

Hopefully they also extend operating hours till 2am most nights, since 1am is far too early to close with the crowds they are getting.

Any idea why Universal thinks its a good idea to let thousands of fans into the park early just to have only one maze open at 6?

It makes everyone rush to Stranger things and makes the line massive and you have to line up early meaning even if you "walk on" your still waiting 30-45 mins just waiting for the maze to open.
I really don't like the way they are opening the event and no clue if im going to go on the stranger things maze if they continue this through September (i got the September pass)
But to me I go though this every year.....they open but not enough is open causing some areas to be tooo crowded.

They really need to open more rides and or show. They need to have a show at the Dream works theater and Potterland open in someway to give crowds some room and allow better flow

After so many year of the entire backlot being open at 6 (and 5 for many years), it was a shock and surprise to have many mazes with staggered opening times. I didn't get to catch all of them, but Creepshow was open at 6, Ghostbusters and I think F vs W opened at 6:30, and Klownz didn't open until 7 (we skipped ST).

I really can't see why at least all the Metro Set mazes aren't all open at 6 to alleviate some of those crowd levels. Because when Ghostbusters finally opened at 6:30, there were already so many people in line, it was immediately at least a 50 minute wait right at opening at 6:30. Hopefully that's something they tweek in the coming weeks.

We left at 10pm because essentially all the mazes were hour plus waits, with one maze at 2 hours and two mazes at 3 hours (and JW at 2 hours)! If this keeps up, they'll be a lot of guests complaining that they hardly got to do anything. People spent an entire night there and maybe got 4-5 mazes done. Can you imagine getting in line for a maze at 10pm, and by the time you get out, the event is closed?

FWIW, we have FFP, so we figured we'd just return for the mazes we missed. And I do realize Universal is likely exaggerating their wait times a bit. But for the record, we got in line for Pandora's Box when it said it was a 35 minute wait (the shortest in the park at the time), and it ended up taking an hour. Caveat: after about 15-20 minutes in line, there was a rush of ambulances and fire trucks in the front of the maze, and the line didn't move for maybe 15 minutes, so I suspect the maze closed for a bit due to a medical situation. Still, even with that, it should've taken 45 minutes. And even though we were about there were only about 6 people ahead of us when we entered the maze, we didn't see any real "pre-show" that others have mentioned. Just a door that was already opening when we got in and being told to go inside (unless that was it?). We were pretty much just rushed through the first room. After an hour wait, though (especially when it was supposed to be half that time), wouldn't have minded looking around there a bit more.

But at this rate, it may take multiple visits just to see all the mazes (especially if we don't want to wait in hour+ lines, which I don't.). I figure Universal doesn't want to pony up for an extra hour of early entry, but if this keeps up, they may have to.

Reactions: Clive and chris.g
FWIW, we have FFP, so we figured we'd just return for the mazes we missed.
Wife and I keep going around and around about which tickets to get, started leaning toward FFP but even still, if you can only squeeze in like 4 or 5 mazes each night, that’s still so annoying. If Us is 120+ minutes every time I go, I might not ever get to it just because I wouldn’t wanna wait over two hours for anything.

Really hoping things calm a little bit in the following weeks. I would guess these early attendees are either like, the real diehards who wanna go as early as possible or people just taking advantage of the cheaper September tickets. I’ll be keeping an eye on wait times every night, that’s for sure.

Wife and I keep going around and around about which tickets to get, started leaning toward FFP but even still, if you can only squeeze in like 4 or 5 mazes each night, that’s still so annoying. If Us is 120+ minutes every time I go, I might not ever get to it just because I wouldn’t wanna wait over two hours for anything.

Really hoping things calm a little bit in the following weeks. I would guess these early attendees are either like, the real diehards who wanna go as early as possible or people just taking advantage of the cheaper September tickets. I’ll be keeping an eye on wait times every night, that’s for sure.
Got the FFP for my first time ever this year, as well! Not so much out of necessity of fear of lines, but I just know so many people who wanna go with me this year. But now maybe it's a good strategic move if I can't get everything done in one night and if I miss it this time, I ain't gonna wait until the end of the run like I usually do! Also there's Jurassic World and I haven't done that yet, so I wanna make sure I have time to squeeze in a few rides on that. Plus I wanna go to at least one Flashback Thursday.

That was fast lol

You can upgrade inside the park at the big tower at universal plaza and maybe even at guest services for a pretty hefty fee, but it works fine if you only want to skip the lines once, as the way it works is you can go into the express lane for all the mazes in the park, and it will get you a majorly lower wait time, (tonight a friend managed to turn a 150 min wait for Us into a 15 min one with express), but it is a one time use per maze, meaning after you've used express for a maze you cant use it at that maze again, unless you get unlimited express which is much more expensive. There aren't really any time or reservation requirements, you just walk up through the express line of each maze as you please.
Thank you so much

Reactions: Spookies n' Stuff
I really hope that bad ops and ridiculous wait times don't end up hampering what is one of the best years ever in terms of maze quality.

Does anyone know what times the mazes for early entry open, and which ones do and don’t? Looked at the app today for early entry and saw that Killer klownz opened at 7 but holidays was already open at 6:45 :/ haven’t seen the horror nights twitter cover the times yet which is weird considering they usually do it every year.

Hey so I’m checking wait times and it’s WAY more manageable this evening. Upper lot is practically dead, ST has a bit of a wait, and metro is all 45 min. The wait times and patterns seem very similar to fan preview. Looks like it was the Friday the 13th and full moon hype that made it insane last night.

Hey so I’m checking wait times and it’s WAY more manageable this evening. Upper lot is practically dead, ST has a bit of a wait, and metro is all 45 min. The wait times and patterns seem very similar to fan preview. Looks like it was the Friday the 13th and full moon hype that made it insane last night.

It was nice on Thursday for the most part. I’m going tomorrow with GA. I’ve never been on a Sunday. Any thoughts on what crowds will be like?

It was nice on Thursday for the most part. I’m going tomorrow with GA. I’ve never been on a Sunday. Any thoughts on what crowds will be like?
If tonight bring a Saturday is like this, I would not expect it to be any busier than fan preview. You should have a fairly good crowd experience tomorrow. I think the GP that feels this time is “too early” for Halloween stuff have already gone last night.

Crowds were pretty bad, in my opinion. Killer Klowns and Us were 2 hours all night. Stranger Things was 2 hours at the beginning and tapered off in the last couple of hours. Holidayz and Corpses were pretty dead but that was about it. Metro sets had weird waves with Ghostbusters holding decently strong. I did everything except for Stranger Things. It was physically impossible without an earlier entry time and with it closing at 1 AM. It was outrageous that they absolutely did not plan for what would happen without the Terror Tram. Jurassic World is nowhere near enough of a people eater (which also closes 30 minutes earlier than everything else, BTW).

Without getting too much into a review, operations and line management was such trash this year. I watched the line op at Pandora's Box let SIXTY VIP go into the maze and only FIVE regular line, in that increment every time. Killer Klowns was sporting a 15 minute wait when it was CLEARLY reaching back to the Mummy twice and zig-zagging, so obviously it was about 60-90 minutes. I got in right when it changed to 45... waited 70. I know these things happen, but it was insane just HOW MANY FOL people there were. I thought these things were LIMITED? Those lines looked to be at least 15 minutes in themselves, they were HUGE this year at EVERY attraction. It also feels absolutely unpredictable to know where the crowds are going without TT. If you watch the wait times, the upper lot just randomly fluctuates. I have never felt so helpless without a solid game plan lol Around 11 PM, we just had to go "okay, what don't you guys mind missing, because we're going to miss at least 2 mazes." Luckily we only missed one.

Again, without reviewing too much, I feel like the heart and soul of the event is missing without the Tram. Overall, I think the mazes were pretty good (there's 2 that I think are absolute Fs, but I'll get to that later -- and I haven't even seen what's unanimously agreed the worst this year in ST). But I oddly felt like I had nothing else to do. There's one show and that's... it? And it's not even Halloween or horror themed? When can I sit down, even if it's only for 5 minutes? It can't be between mazes because then you're going to miss 2-3 mazes now.

Although the 2 new venues in the Tram area are pretty dang huge as the mazes felt forever. But I would've taken a C- Terror Tram over the two extra mazes when at least 2-3 mazes are just awful or filler/uninspired (or that I at least consider an F). It was just smart operationally to keep it, they just needed to change it up so people weren't so stale with it. And if you're not going to have it, at least compensate by having proper Early Entry times, or don't close at freakin 1 AM on a Saturday night. I imagine a lot will change after this weekend because I know a lot of people were complaining about various aspects of the event, not even so much about the mazes.

From what I gathered, this was some of the Early Entry schedule:
Stranger Things and Creepshow - 6 PM
Ghostbusters and FMTW - 6:30 PM

Apparently, Us, Holidayz and Killer Klownz are also on Early Entry but I was nowhere near those, so I have no idea when they open.
As Guygas said, it's really WEIRD that Murdy/Horror Nights Twitter have been very silent about certain aspects this year, like Early Entry, when usually they're very vocal to help out.

I feel like there's a bit of a "Be careful what you ask for; you may get it" lesson here. This board (including myself) has been saying for years that Terror Tram is tired, why is it still around, it should go, etc. Now it has, and the event doesn't feel the same.

I will still stand by the fact the Terror Tram, while great and unique in its first years, basically had nowhere to grow at a certain point and did need to go. Let's face it; if it were up and running this year, we'd be doing nothing but complaining about it. But I do have to agree that it's best purpose was the fact you did get to sit down for a bit, and yet could see a maze. And typically without too long of a wait. It was the maze you could do when everything else had a long line. With the tram gone, it's now hard to predict which mazes will have a short line, if ANY (aside from TWD). We really need at least one more sit down entertainment option. Even if it's just screening classic horror movies in Animal Actors or, my wish list, screening a portion of The Tingler inside the Dreamworks Theater.

I do agree it's odd they haven't been more clear about Early Entry times, especially with this new "staggered opening" system. As best as I can recall, ST and Creepshow opened at 6:00, Ghostbusters, FMTW, and I think Us opened at 6:30, and the rest (including Klownz) opened at 7. They really need some clarity on that, because it's really messing up my usual Early Entry system of just doing the backlot when all those mazes are no longer open at the same time anymore.

As for line management, it could be better. But I have (some) faith that that will improve as time goes on.

One thing I found interesting that I haven't seen much mention of is the fact that Us and Pandora seem completely elevated off the ground. Which make me a bit sad they didn't take that opportunity and included some below the ground or floor level effects. Pandora would have been even more amazing if we would have walked over an effect with a clear plexiglass floor, as Knott's has done before from time to time.

One of my biggest complaints about the scares is not necessarily that they're all boo boxes, but that they all happen at the same level. There's a few scares that come from above, but very little, and none (that I can think of) from below. I think this is where Knott's is superior, because they use a better variety of scares: bungee and flying are very effective and different. And I remember years ago at Knott's for Lore of the Vampire, they gave the scareactors feathers which they would actually touch you with. Very unsettling and fun.

Reactions: DTH and Clive