Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion | Page 201 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Sucks to hear that the crowds are giving people a hard time. DTH, you got an FFP, right? Hopefully you can go back soon and have a better experience.

Was talking about this stuff with some friends last night. Halloween and horror in general is just so insanely popular these days, it’s not surprising to see HHN just be a madhouse. It actually gives me a little hope that things will thin out in October when more events will spread people around. I also really think folks are taking advantage of the less expensive September tickets. Would be very interested to compare numbers to last year.

I don't think its the lack of terror tram that is causing the crowds to be bad this year. Its really just the event being huge and mainstream. its going to be packed because of the recent growth at universal. I think the main problem is the 9 mazes we have or "10" its kinda like knotts on how you definitely need a express ticket or something to do everything without running from place to place lol I mean back in 2010 you could do everything by 10 and then do things twice, but i am sure the park being more open allows for more guests to be allowed in. but in my opinion universal is saving money without having to staff terror tram, not having to pay the drivers, tour guides, gas, im sure this is why this year is better overall

Reactions: HydraGen2299
Also just for those who might wanna know, it seems to me that the early entry schedule is 6:00: ST, Creepshow, Us, Pandoras Box. 6:30: GB, FMTW, HoTC. 6:45: Holidayz. 7:00: Killer Klowns. So I'd say plan according to that.

Just got an email survey from Universal about Horror Nights 2019 and Horror Nights 2020. Some properties were:

Zombieland, Hellraiser, Channel Zero, Arkham Asylum/Joker/Batman, Goosebumps (I hope they bring this), Killer Clowns, Creepshow, Conjuring/Nun/Anabelle, Padanormal Activity, F13/Jason, Black Mirror, AWIL, Grudge, IT, Aliek, Black Mirror, Slender Man, The Ring, Spawn, Freddy, Hell Fest, Final Destination, Ghoul, A Quiet Place, Five Nights at Freddy's, Michael Jackson's THRILLER.

What I found interesting was that in allowing you to Rate and "Recognize" what properties/attractions they have this year it mentioned Chucky lol idk why they threw that in there.

It's definitely the Terror Tram. Thinking back on it, I take back something I mentioned, where I said the park was crowded. Actually, it wasn't even that crowded. For Early Entry, I was one of the first groups in and I got there at 5:25 -- they luckily then let everyone in at 5:30 instead of 5:45. Every line LOOKED like only a few zig zags. Some of them just moved at a snail's pace (Killer Klowns, Pandora's Box, and Us). And another huge factor is because of VIP/FOL. Honestly, they seemed like 25% of the park. In addition, Killer Klowns and Us in specific are mazes where people are stopping a lot to see certain aspects, or where the scareactors will get in front of you.

Terror Tram, while expensive, was a massive people eater. It had a 99% conversion rate, meaning 99 out of 100 people at the park would go experience it. This is very unlike most mazes. On top of that, it could fill up about 180-220 people per tram that drops people off to a trail that takes about 30 minutes to experience. And there was at least 5 trams going at all times. For further perspective, one tram is the capacity for one maze, if you ever look at the capacity rate on the side of a house. So even on a slow day, Terror Tram was holding at least 5 mazes worth of people in one area at any given time between 6:30-11:30, PLUS it's queue.

For what it's worth (absolutely nothing), I never said get rid of it haha my heart was tied so desperately to that attraction. It hurt when it wasn't good, but I knew it had the capability of being good from its early years and 2016. It just needed to find ways to renew and refresh itself. I knew the event would be very strange without it, and almost not feel... special. I've always said it is the heart and soul of the event, and its star attraction, even when it's absolute garbage. I expected Universal to compensate somehow with such a loss by adding more shows or something if they ever were to get rid of it. 2 mazes? "Oh, maybe everyone will be more spread out." Nope. Everyone is more jam packed in. The lines after 11 PM in the old days, when tram would close and everything would swell, is what the event looks like now starting at 8 PM because majority of people are now in the park. I think the upper lot is the only area that has weird waves of fluctuation in its wait times, while everything else is pretty slammed. Capacity for the entire park probably hasn't changed, so they're still letting in people as if Terror Tram was still going. And for whatever reason, they are selling even more VIP/FOL passes than normal.

Last edited:
Just got an email survey from Universal about Horror Nights 2019 and Horror Nights 2020. Some properties were:

Zombieland, Hellraiser, Channel Zero, Arkham Asylum/Joker/Batman, Goosebumps (I hope they bring this), Killer Clowns, Creepshow, Conjuring/Nun/Anabelle, Padanormal Activity, F13/Jason, Black Mirror, AWIL, Grudge, IT, Aliek, Black Mirror, Slender Man, The Ring, Spawn, Freddy, Hell Fest, Final Destination, Ghoul, A Quiet Place, Five Nights at Freddy's, Michael Jackson's THRILLER.

What I found interesting was that in allowing you to Rate and "Recognize" what properties/attractions they have this year it mentioned Chucky lol idk why they threw that in there.

CHANNEL ZERO.

TOOTH BABY DELIVER US.

I think general consensus is that these are pie-in-the-sky, so it's doubtful that some of these are being seriously considered. Thriller is a bit dicey in the current climate, Slender Boi is fifty internet-years past its prime, Alien is with Fox, and what are they even gonna do with Final Destination? Though I guess they could SAW it with a walking tour of all the deaths, and just come up with a random grim reaper "death" thing for the black wall scares in-between. Spawn and Fnaf movies are also stuck in the bowels of development hell, so I can't see those coming anytime soon.

In terms of what realistically might come,

Goosebumps really surprised me as an option, but thinking about it, it could really fit. Slappy was horrifying as a kid. inb4 HHN is a baby event.

Ghostbusters this year really seemed to open a door with Sony, and that gives us Zombieland, the Grudge, Fright Night, and Thirteen Ghosts.

Creepshow and Ghostbusters could easily get a sequel next year.

They keep teasing us with the Ring and it's frustrating. Just give us Sadako already.

Black Mirror is very interesting. White Bear would be a decent couple of rooms, nothing too special, but still fun.

Some of the WB properties might be opening up soon. IT and Conjuring would make great marquee houses for 2020. Ditto Arkham Asylum; since WB themselves did it last year, I'm assuming Six Flags don't have exclusive haunt rights.

Paranormal Activity is getting a new movie, and that franchise has been relatively ripe for a haunt ever since Toby got revealed as a spindly sausage-mummy thing.

Some of these properties may have been too obscure back when we only had 6 or 7 slots, but now that we have 9, I think there's room for a little property to shine. Hell Fest, Ghoul, and (sadly) Channel Zero were all non-starters as far as houses go, but with the extra slots, one of them might get a chance to appear. Some slightly older properties, not quite new enough to be relevant but not quite old enough to be nostalgic, might also get a chance to show up now: stuff like Hannibal, You're Next and (I guess) Five Nights at Freddy's.

Arkham Asylum, Hellraiser, IT, and Spawn PLEASE!
May I ask how do you get the survey email?

I dunno if Hollywood does this but Orlando used to have a more direct route through the switchbacks at opening to get people moving through the houses right away but these days makes everyone walk the whole empty line, thus conveniently baiting a bunch of people to use express right away. They don't seem to stagger express with the regular line at all early until the normal line fills up. It definitely can have a substantial effect on the game plan to get everything done.

CHANNEL ZERO.

TOOTH BABY DELIVER US.

I think general consensus is that these are pie-in-the-sky, so it's doubtful that some of these are being seriously considered. Thriller is a bit dicey in the current climate, Slender Boi is fifty internet-years past its prime, Alien is with Fox, and what are they even gonna do with Final Destination? Though I guess they could SAW it with a walking tour of all the deaths, and just come up with a random grim reaper "death" thing for the black wall scares in-between. Spawn and Fnaf movies are also stuck in the bowels of development hell, so I can't see those coming anytime soon.

In terms of what realistically might come,

Goosebumps really surprised me as an option, but thinking about it, it could really fit. Slappy was horrifying as a kid. inb4 HHN is a baby event.

Ghostbusters this year really seemed to open a door with Sony, and that gives us Zombieland, the Grudge, Fright Night, and Thirteen Ghosts.

Creepshow and Ghostbusters could easily get a sequel next year.

They keep teasing us with the Ring and it's frustrating. Just give us Sadako already.

Black Mirror is very interesting. White Bear would be a decent couple of rooms, nothing too special, but still fun.

Some of the WB properties might be opening up soon. IT and Conjuring would make great marquee houses for 2020. Ditto Arkham Asylum; since WB themselves did it last year, I'm assuming Six Flags don't have exclusive haunt rights.

Paranormal Activity is getting a new movie, and that franchise has been relatively ripe for a haunt ever since Toby got revealed as a spindly sausage-mummy thing.

Some of these properties may have been too obscure back when we only had 6 or 7 slots, but now that we have 9, I think there's room for a little property to shine. Hell Fest, Ghoul, and (sadly) Channel Zero were all non-starters as far as houses go, but with the extra slots, one of them might get a chance to appear. Some slightly older properties, not quite new enough to be relevant but not quite old enough to be nostalgic, might also get a chance to show up now: stuff like Hannibal, You're Next and (I guess) Five Nights at Freddy's.

YES. I would love to see Goosebumps. That would be an awesome maze. I also had mo idea Sony had the rights to 13 ghosts, I've been wanting that for years, scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.

I would also really like a BeetleJuice maze now haha

Arkham Asylum, Hellraiser, IT, and Spawn PLEASE!
May I ask how do you get the survey email?
I got an email this morning with he heading "Share your Universal Opinion".

The body said "Our Records indicate that you attented Halloween Horror Nights at USH last year. You have been chosen to participate in a survey".

Out of curiosity for what I missed, I watched Stranger Things on YouTube and honestly it looked fantastic. Better than last year's even. What exactly is everyone hating about it? The first 1/3 looked empty of talent, but after that, it looked pretty intense and great scenic and sets that HHN is known for. Majority is puppet scares, but as long as the scares are there, who cares? Why are people complaining about that when that was AWIL not too long ago? It seemed like there were almost 2 scares in every scene after the pumpkin scene. It looked light years better than Ghostbusters, HOTC, and Pandora's Box, that's for sure. Looked on par to Creepshow and Holidayz and FMTW, maybe even better. Maybe a lot of the effects and actors were missing on the first 2 nights? I really can't see why anyone would say it's one of the worst mazes ever done at HHN, not even by a long shot. Even from a scenic POV, it's impressive.

Don't let the negative reviews fool you guys who haven't gone yet, definitely go check out Stranger Things! I really wish I had the time to run down there last night to check it out :(

Out of curiosity for what I missed, I watched Stranger Things on YouTube and honestly it looked fantastic. Better than last year's even. What exactly is everyone hating about it? The first 1/3 looked empty of talent, but after that, it looked pretty intense and great scenic and sets that HHN is known for. Majority is puppet scares, but as long as the scares are there, who cares? Why are people complaining about that when that was AWIL not too long ago? It seemed like there were almost 2 scares in every scene after the pumpkin scene. It looked light years better than Ghostbusters, HOTC, and Pandora's Box, that's for sure. Looked on par to Creepshow and Holidayz and FMTW, maybe even better. Maybe a lot of the effects and actors were missing on the first 2 nights? I really can't see why anyone would say it's one of the worst mazes ever done at HHN, not even by a long shot. Even from a scenic POV, it's impressive.

Don't let the negative reviews fool you guys who haven't gone yet, definitely go check out Stranger Things! I really wish I had the time to run down there last night to check it out :(
While I think the negativity towards Stranger Things is a little over exaggerated, it’s definitely not a good maze.

Reactions: Freak
^^I don't get it either. It wasn't my favorite maze, and it does have problems, but to me, it's not the disaster others seem to think it is.

Here for round 2! Waiting in front of the gates and it’s not too crazy so far. Going to do what I can for early entry.

I will also say that I’m glad Fan Preview night didn’t have early entry. It was the first time since 2014 that I was able to start off with the opening ceremony! It felt like experiencing HHN of old once again.

EDIT: So the sign in the park says that basically EVERYTHING except for TWD is open for early entry. Sounds like they heard us. Doesn’t say what times that houses open.

Reactions: chris.g
While I think the negativity towards Stranger Things is a little over exaggerated, it’s definitely not a good maze.

I don't think it's exaggerated at all. We cannot allow them to continue to cut corners when they know all they need to do to get a 3 hour line is shine a 'Stranger Things' gobo at Transformers and only provide half a maze.

I believe that somewhere between the creatives and penny pinching executives at comcast there is a high level of complacency when it comes to HHN Hollywood and I think Hollywood is only given the bare minimum budget for what it needs to service the locals. That's a damn shame.

Last edited:
Alright, just to sum up what’s happening:

Orlando’s getting Death Eaters (Like we wanted)

A ton of properties that I’d love to see are being considered

Something called Route 666 is on early entry schedules