Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

I would also really like a BeetleJuice maze now haha
Working on it.
Alright, just to sum up what’s happening:

Orlando’s getting Death Eaters (Like we wanted)
Like you had. They were cast and fitted for costumes. The cost overruns that caused the cut backs to hours caused this to get cut. (And half the roles in the houses... And your Chucky show...)
I was wondering how long it would take for this to hit...

Working on it.

Like you had. They were cast and fitted for costumes. The cost overruns that caused the cut backs to hours caused this to get cut. (And half the roles in the houses... And your Chucky show...)

...Well now.

As far as the Us issue..woof. I will not envy anyone in the PR team when this does get out to larger markets, as I would think it'd be a potentially controversial issue.

Talking with a friend, and it seems they did blackface last year with Skeletor as-well (but it was never really brought up).

My concerns..actually lie with how Hollywood handles this. If it is indeed the case, then I am worried to what they might do in changes to the maze, considering the track record of reacting towards negative reactions has never been good for Hollywood

Talking with a friend, and it seems they did blackface last year with Skeletor as-well (but it was never really brought up).

My concerns..actually lie with how Hollywood handles this. If it is indeed the case, then I am worried to what they might do in changes to the maze, considering the track record of reacting towards negative reactions has never been good for Hollywood

Us is about to become depopulated if that's the case.

Us is about to become depopulated if that's the case.

I will be angry if they cut actors from the maze, and it would make zero sense. Especially for how important Red is as a character; very much so when you see her from the films. It'd be boiling to see them take a negative action like that, to when they could've casted lookalikes (and it wasn't like they didn't have the time for it either). [Edit: And it isn't even like they didn't cast for lookalikes this year at HHN, especially considering when the leaks came out from auditions on the subject of HoTC and Ghostbusters]

An Us maze without Red (or key "tethered")..would feel off to me.

I will be angry if they cut actors from the maze, and it would make zero sense. Especially for how important Red is as a character; very much so when you see her from the films. It'd be boiling to see them take a negative action like that, to when they could've casted lookalikes (and it wasn't like they didn't have the time for it either).

An Us maze without Red (or key "tethered")..would feel off to me.

My concern is if Jordan Peele hears about this and it becomes a thing. That would definitely put some stuff off the table.

EDIT: I would personally hope that they're working as quickly as possible to nip this in the bud and fix this. This could get ugly, fast.

Would it help if I mention that I heard about this during rehearsals?

This isn't something Universal wasn't aware of. It was planned all along.

To use elegance then: so we are dealing with a ticking time bomb, merely just waiting to be stepped on by social media.

If it's only one actor in this scenario, then they might be able to recast; but it's still something that could go sour real quick depending on how people view it.

This is what they get for using ugly masks when they could definitely cast lookalikes. The only reason they do the masks so much nowadays is so that all the characters have a consistent appearance but honestly as a guest it detracts from the maze and makes it look really fugly

I mean, was it that hard to hire any African American actors to wear a mask? I also find the switch between look a likes and masks like Red and the Twins so off putting.

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that Universal looked long and hard to cast this specific role. I think I even remember hearing they were doing additional auditions to find specific roles. At the end of the day, it probably came down to physical performance and matching Lupita's specific movements in the movie. Again, this isn't a matter of just putting someone in a mask and calling it a day, there were very specific demands for the role. As someone who is black, and surely I can't speak for the entire community, but I am fine with it to a degree given the context that the role needed to be filled, as the scene is absolutely necessary, and nobody could be found with a very demanding time restriction. Maybe they figured they could get away with it for a weekend or two. However, if they didn't give a crap at all and just gladly did it, that is an issue. Only issue is, context and explanation can't be given so yes, Universal is in a bit of hot water. But it's like, how do we know the performer isn't black? Legacy did confirm, but this picture is grainy haha. I certainly wasn't able to tell while in person. And what if they're half black? Surely a line has to be drawn somewhere and maybe I'm too forgiving. Like I said, I'm willing to give Universal the benefit of the doubt. They did get in trouble with this already this year for the film Good Boys, I don't think they'd do it twice unless there's a reason.

Wasn't Peele directly involved with the casting or something? I remember hearing that. What if the two performers usually in the role were sick and they had to pull someone from the pool. Do we just let the scene stay empty and basically ruin the climax of the maze?

Eh, I don't know, just scare me in the mazes, man, that's all I care about.

Last edited: