Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

Did DHS today, rode Smugglers Run about 3 times or so with no wait above 40 minutes. Storm Troopers and Chewie were out, but this is my first trip to Batuu where i've genuinely felt how dead the land is as a whole. After SR, if you aren't making a Droid or Lightsaber, getting food at Docking Bay/Ronto's or going to the Cantina, or buying something in the market place, there's nothing to do. And ALL of those things I listed cost extra.

Green Milk still sucks and Blue Milk is good enough. I'm not quite sure what the deal is with the Kylo Ren show at the TIE Fighter as the show has yet to happen in Orlando as far as I know.

It's been happening pretty regularly.

The last show is at 4pm. I wish it ran later.

The more I visit the land the more it misses the mark for me. As a Star Wars fan I want to be put into the world created in the Original Triligy. I want to see At-At's and Ewoks. I want to see someone being frozen in carbonite. I want to meet Jabba the Hut and Boba Fett. I want to see a sarlacc pit and visit the Mos Eisley Cantina and listen to the Cantina band live. I want to see an epic light saber fight between Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker. I want a photo opp of me being stuck in the Trash Compactor. I want to meet Princess Leia and see Jawa's selling droids. Outside of the impressive but not film accurate Millenium Falcon, there is nothing in the land that brings back those memories for me.

And I don't buy that the First Order, being right next to a resistance camp, wouldn't just obliterate them right then and there. This is a Star Wars land for Disney theme park fans, not Star Wars fans.

The more I visit the land the more it misses the mark for me. As a Star Wars fan I want to be put into the world created in the Original Triligy. I want to see At-At's and Ewoks. I want to see someone being frozen in carbonite. I want to meet Jabba the Hut and Boba Fett. I want to see a sarlacc pit and visit the Mos Eisley Cantina and listen to the Cantina band live. I want to see an epic light saber fight between Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker. I want a photo opp of me being stuck in the Trash Compactor. I want to meet Princess Leia and see Jawa's selling droids. Outside of the impressive but not film accurate Millenium Falcon, there is nothing in the land that brings back those memories for me.

And I don't buy that the First Order, being right next to a resistance camp, wouldn't just obliterate them right then and there. This is a Star Wars land for Disney theme park fans, not Star Wars fans.
I don’t fully agree with all of this, but ignoring the original trilogy is a mistake that is hard for me to forgive. Just makes zero sense whatsoever in my mind. I haven’t been so I just can’t fully judge on the Disney theme park vs Star Wars theme park, but that sounds like a good comparison.

I don’t fully agree with all of this, but ignoring the original trilogy is a mistake that is hard for me to forgive. Just makes zero sense whatsoever in my mind. I haven’t been so I just can’t fully judge on the Disney theme park vs Star Wars theme park, but that sounds like a good comparison.
The scale and detail of the land is truly impression, but it only gives hints of Star Wars that casual fans would recognize.

I do look forward to seeing it in the night. Two of the three half days I've scheduled at DHS for my vacation are late afternoon to evening. The land looks better at night.

Not sure how this slipped past social media, but a month ago an interview with an Imagineer basically confirmed the initial plan for one or two classic planets were switched out at the proverbial last minute at Bob Iger's direction.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Initially Based on Original Trilogy, Imagineer Confirms | Pirates and Princesses

I'd have to look up dates but this may be Chapek firing back in their proxy war, but interesting nonetheless.
Yeah, but wasn’t the OT proposal the one with the X-wing spinner and indoor Jedi academy that got laughed out of the board room?

Yeah, but wasn’t the OT proposal the one with the X-wing spinner and indoor Jedi academy that got laughed out of the board room?
Yea I bet that was the plan that involved expanding Star Tours’ Endor set, and redoing Echo Lake with minimal stuff. Around here the story was that Disney execs seeing what Universal did with Diagon scrapped the initial plans for something grander.

Yea I bet that was the plan that involved expanding Star Tours’ Endor set, and redoing Echo Lake with minimal stuff. Around here the story was that Disney execs seeing what Universal did with Diagon scrapped the initial plans for something grander.
But now it’s framed as something that would’ve been based on OT so it would’ve been amazing, right?!?!?

But now it’s framed as something that would’ve been based on OT so it would’ve been amazing, right?!?!?

Timeline doesn't add up. SWGE was announced D23 2015, Diagon Opened 2014. Very possible they planned and designed for a year after Diagon around the older films then in the spring/summer 2015 after Iger saw the daily made the call to go new trilogy only. I mean remember how long it took to hear about where and when this place was located?

From the interview it appears the time frame was 'after' the initial flat rides Star Wars stuff that the Board turned down after they saw Diagon. . The imagineer talks about how they were already into a year and a half of the planning for TSL & SWL which was in the time frame of a fully flushed out SW expansion.

Last edited:
From the interview it appears the time frame was 'after' the initial flat rides Star Wars stuff that the Board turned down after they saw Diagon. . The imagineer talks about how they were already into a year and a half of the planning for TSL & SWL which was in the time frame of a fully flushed out AW expansion.
Joe posting simultaneously said the same. I agree with him.

Timeline doesn't add up. SWGE was announced D23 2015, Diagon Opened 2014. Very possible they planned and designed for a year after Diagon around the older films then in the spring/summer 2015 after Iger saw the daily made the call to go new trilogy only. I mean remember how long it took to hear about where and when this place was located?
I had chats with someone in Imagineering who mentioned a "Star Wars Land" at Hollywood Studios as far back as 2011.