Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion | Page 204 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
For what it's worth, all the actors in the maze wearing the Lupita mask on EPN were black. I noticed because of their hands. If it is someone white then yeah this is not a good look.

At the end of the day, I am more concerned about the reactions towards this. I personally could understand why, especially with how Us wasn't even meant for the event to begin with.

I am giving Universal themselves the benefit of the doubt, but I do really have a lot of worry to what might happen if it blows up.

I personally could understand why, especially with how Us wasn't even meant for the event to begin with.
I know there's a lot of rumors on these threads about what's coming and not coming, what got replaced, and etc.. But I specifically read that Peele reached out to Uni back in February to make this happen. This was planned and meant for the event pretty much all along. And the maze certainly shows that by how polished it is. If anything, it is the most finished maze out of all 10 and in some ways, I believe they gave this the upmost priority and importance to be done right, next to Stranger Things. Construction may have started late (and that happens naturally all the time), with things not ready for media previews or EPN, but the TLC definitely shows in the final product that it wasn't a last second effort.

Reactions: k_peek_2000
I mean there were casting calls for Red, Adelaide, Abraham, and Pluto earlier this year. It’s not like they didn’t try to find it.

I checked the tweet and it hasn’t really gained much traction which is good for Universal PR because if this blew up…oof

I mean there were casting calls for Red, Adelaide, Abraham, and Pluto earlier this year. It’s not like they didn’t try to find it.

I checked the tweet and it hasn’t really gained much traction which is good for Universal PR because if this blew up…oof

This one may not blow up but I'd expect plenty more (with better quality photos) if this continues.

I find it a bit hard to believe that there was a problem with casting to be honest.

On a completely different note, crowds seem to be getting a lot better, as I managed to get every maze done with a couple second run throughs before 11, so thats good news. In terms of the topic at hand, in both of my run throughs all the actors for Red were black, so if that image is what it claims to be I certainly didn’t see it either time

Reactions: DTH
Well... I took a look at the Sharp Productions video and found a bit of a bombshell.
Right at 4:52.

Granted they could just be lightskinned. But the gloves they're wearing makes them look lighter. It's right in the thumbnail even. I could see how someone may think they're white given the contrast of the mask and the glove to the skin. But they're still darker than the usual person. Could it be someone white with dark foundation on them? Or again, someone simply just lightskinned.

In fact, the tweet in question is actually FROM this video! It's a screenshot from 4:54. Did this person even attend the event?

Last edited:
Well... I took a look at the Sharp Productions video and found a bit of a bombshell.
Right at 4:52.

Granted they could just be lightskinned. But the gloves they're wearing makes them look lighter. It's right in the thumbnail even. I could see how someone may think they're white given the contrast of the mask and the glove to the skin. But they're still darker than the usual person. Could it be someone white with dark foundation on them? Or again, someone simply just lightskinned.

In fact, the tweet in question is actually FROM this video! It's a screenshot from 4:54. Did this person even attend the event?

There’s been a some complaining about this matter in the event over this and Demons of the East opening weekend. I would bet these people haven’t even attended the event like you just mentioned. I really hope Uni isn’t going to do anything drastic (Like take stuff out) to appease like three people online who won’t even attend anyway.

Frankly, I'm more impressed Spirits & Demons of the East isn't getting more attention.

But this isn't good, either.

Early entry this year is kind of a mess with the staggered openings. They let people queue up for mazes before they open which makes the lines really long once they finally do open.

I was there tonight and things started off like they would be really busy, but thankfully, there was plenty to do without waiting in really long lines. House of 1000 Corpses and Holidayz in Hell consistently had low waits for a while. If you can stay late on a Thursday or Sunday, I highly recommend it. I was able to do the backlot mazes multiple times in the last hour and was able to get far better runs through them since there were less people in them at that time of night.

Also, I really love how we now have 4 mazes on the Upper Lot. Back when we only add 1 or 2 mazes plus the Terror Tram on the Upper Lot, it didn't seem like there was much to do up there. Now with 4 mazes, the crowds spread out across those mazes and it makes the lines shorter.

Reactions: Clive
It makes me wonder, if they aren’t just a light skinned actor, and they knew their neck would show, you’d think (as genuinely messed up as it is) they’d have some kind of dark makeup to correct their neck to the mask.

Last edited by a moderator:
did no one complain about the actors not being black last year for the purge? all the actors who played skeletor were black? this won't gain steam haha jordan peele was involved in hiring all the actors for this house actually.

anyway, people on Twitter already made solid points, i.e the casting calls for african american actors between the 5'5 to 5'6 range and all that.

Last edited:
They’re also black. Concerns related to race have nothing to do with locations.

Sure, but I'm more irked by the fact someone who has never been to the event is complaining about something they don't fully know or understand. This happens wayyy too often. But it appears that sharps video does have a black actor playing the character.

Last edited:
Would it help if I mention that I heard about this during rehearsals?

This isn't something Universal wasn't aware of. It was planned all along.

Ugghhh I was worried something like this might happen but didn’t wanna speak it into existence for fear that it might actually come to fruition. I really hope that it’s just a trick of the light and not actually a white person doing black caricature. If that’s the case, they need to recast this thing immediately. Even if it means shutting down the maze for a few nights. It’s so inappropriate.

I just have some many questions, though. If we are seeing black face here, why did nobody speak up? Did Jordan and MonkeyPaw know? It seemed like they were pretty involved (especially in Los Angeles) and I can’t imagine for a second that they would approve. This is wild.

Sure, but I'm more irked by the fact someone who has never been to the event is complaining about something they don't fully know or understand. This happens wayyy too often. But it appears that sharps video does have a black actor playing the character.
I think your priorities are off on why this would be a problem...

Reactions: Clive
I think your priorities are off on why this would be a problem...

I know it would be a monumental issue if they had white performers in black masks and predicted this blowing up long before the event opened. But that doesn't seem to be the case from the videos I've seen and from my 2 times walking through the maze.

I know it would be a monumental issue if they had white performers in black masks and predicted this blowing up long before the event opened. But that doesn't seem to be the case from the videos I've seen and from my 2 times walking through the maze.
Why not? Because it’s not obvious or because you know, unequivocally, that it’s not happening. Just because you can’t tell there’s a problem doesn’t mean there isn’t a problem.

Now, if only black people/people of appropriate decent are playing black characters, then there’s no issue. If that isn’t the case, regardless of if you can tell or not, it’s a problem. The knowledge that that occurred with Skelator last year definitely doesn’t help the problem.

Reactions: k_peek_2000