Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 293 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Id think they don't have great December sales outlook if they're already letting go people high up before Rise even opens, can't be a good sign. Recession, not changing your prices, ya it may be a weird few years at Disney. I certainly don't expect much investment past Epcot honestly. This is their biggest expansion ever and its flopped, they'll be hesitant to do anything else id imagine.

Don't agree....I think they will reformat their upcoming expansions to more so maintain their key demographics (young children and females 5-15) and not try to extend into the adult 18-35 arena.

The crazy thing is I feel like the parks all the way through Spring this year were so insanely crowded and have been for the past years... Do we think the pricing has just hit the tipping point, or the recession is imminent?

US persons traveling overseas is higher than previous years. I think people are less focused on domestic activities and more into seeing the world right now.
U.S. Citizen International Outbound Travel Up Six Percent in 2018 – Hotel-Online

Obviously there are myriad reasons why GESWL hasn't done well at either park to this point in time...crazy high prices, only one ride open, no entertainment, main stuff to do are high upcharge merchandise shows, land was marketed the wrong way, false crowding concerns, very few streetmosphere characters, music issues, little connection to the original trilogy, RotR tech issues, Batuu site,overexposure of the IP, and so on. But Robert Niles, today on TPI, had an interesting insight on the Batuu site. He pulled up a poll that he took in June 2013 when he asked "Where should Disney set the Star Wars Land?". 1,449 votes;
* Multiple Star Wars Planets..........55%
*Tatooine........................................28%
*Coruscant......................................7%
*As a movie set................................6%
*Another Star Wars Planet.....4%
Maybe Disney should have asked this question on one of their own surveys. They might have saved themselves a lot of trouble....and money.

Id think they don't have great December sales outlook if they're already letting go people high up before Rise even opens, can't be a good sign. Recession, not changing your prices, ya it may be a weird few years at Disney. I certainly don't expect much investment past Epcot honestly. This is their biggest expansion ever and its flopped, they'll be hesitant to do anything else id imagine.

I fear that the majority of stuff announced at D23 will unfortunately turn to vaporware unless things turn around and fast. Disney set their expectations for this land sky high like Euro Disneyland and things didn’t pan out for a lot of reason as discussed.

December attendance is gonna be good because it’s the holidays and people flock to the parks. with talk of a recession and everything happening around the world in Europe and the US Disney’s biggest markets could be in trouble

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
People don't just "go to Disney" on a whim anymore. Disney has basically REQUIRED gusts to plan their vacation via the Disney App. You are expected to plan the Fast Pass rides, book your dining reservations, and consider after hour and other special events.

Disney has basically programmed their guests to do research prior to attending the park..

PS - for the 1000th time, the Original Trilogy has been present in Diseny parks for over two decades with Star Tours. A new planet based on a 40 year old film, makes absolutely no sense. Especially when Disney is trying to market the new movies (you know the ones they actually made?) to a new generation. Creating a "new world" where visitors can create their own story is a much more creative idea. Batuu isn't the problem.

One thing is for sure - no other single IP/land project will ever reach the one billion dollar price tag.

It shouldn't have in the first place.

Cars land in DCA (with all that rockwork and with huge guest satisfaction) cost $200m+ Diagon Alley cost $400m, even with inflation on those projects they come no where near the spend on GE.

Last edited:
People don't just "go to Disney" on a whim anymore. Disney has basically REQUIRED gusts to plan their vacation via the Disney App. You are expected to plan the Fast Pass rides, book your dining reservations, and consider after hour and other special events.

Disney has basically programmed their guests to do research prior to attending the park..

PS - for the 1000th time, the Original Trilogy has been present in Diseny parks for over two decades with Star Tours. A new planet based on a 40 year old film, makes absolutely no sense. Especially when Disney is trying to market the new movies (you know the ones they actually made?) to a new generation. Creating a "new world" where visitors can create their own story is a much more creative idea. Batuu isn't the problem.
They cut the “making your story” bit everywhere except the expensive hotel.

And yes it does make sense to base it on the OT as it’s still the thing that makes the most money. Toys of the new characters sit on shelves. Kids today don’t want Rose Tico. They still want Darth Vader.

They cut the “making your story” bit everywhere except the expensive hotel.

And yes it does make sense to base it on the OT as it’s still the thing that makes the most money. Toys of the new characters sit on shelves. Kids today don’t want Rose Tico. They still want Darth Vader.

I would say flying The falcon and being imprisoned in a Star destroyer still meets the idea. Not to mention the light saber show, and other things the land offers.
It’s not perfect, but I fail to see how placing the property in mos eisley would make much difference.

Darth Vader is still very present in the merch booths.
Kylo Ren is a more than capable villain.

The failure (?) of the current trilogy to resonate with Park guests is only a part of the problem, but it’s not the entire problem as some of you seem to believe.

I want to be 'lazy' when on vacation. I want to be entertained, not be the writer director and entertainer. I want to be the occupant of a fun thrilling ride, I don't want to help choreograph a bunch of strangers into operating complicated pilot controls that I'll probable only see once or twice on vacation, and never get the hang of. I want to visit shops and browse without guaranteeing I'll spend $150 or $200 in it. If I feel like a good alcoholic drink, I don't want to order my spot to stand in weeks or months before I arrive. I want to enjoy the thrill and adventure of an attraction that professional storytellers have put together, instead of using my amateur skills. I want to see lots and lots of streetmosphere characters in a land that I'm familiar with, listen to the stunning music, and have some nostalgia to experience and explore. If I wanted to 'work' on vacation, which I surely would not, I wouldn't have spent all this money and stayed home instead. And I don't want to be charged an arm , a leg, and my first born to pay for something that should cost less. :think:

Last edited:
I would say flying The falcon and being imprisoned in a Star destroyer still meets the idea. Not to mention the light saber show, and other things the land offers.
It’s not perfect, but I fail to see how placing the property in mos eisley would make much difference.

Darth Vader is still very present in the merch booths.
Kylo Ren is a more than capable villain.

The failure (?) of the current trilogy to resonate with Park guests is only a part of the problem, but it’s not the entire problem as some of you seem to believe.
Ren is a brat with daddy and grand daddy issues lol.

He’s got nothing on Darth. He’s no threat to Rey as she’s already beaten him twice without any training. He’s a wimp.

And by cutting making your own story I meant the stuff they hyped up about cast members knowing who you are and how well you flew the Falcon and all that. I think there was also something about meeting up with bounty hunters.

Ren is a brat with daddy and grand daddy issues lol.

He’s got nothing on Darth. He’s no threat to Rey as she’s already beaten him twice without any training. He’s a wimp.

And by cutting making your own story I meant the stuff they hyped up about cast members knowing who you are and how well you flew the Falcon and all that. I think there was also something about meeting up with bounty hunters.

Agreed...they could have gone crazy here. Hopefully that’s still something in the cards

If guests were reluctant to pay $150 for a day at Disneyland, IMO the greatest theme park in the world, for Galaxy's Edge, I don't see how guests were going to willing to pay $125 for the 6 rides at DHS.

But wait... am I losing it or did I not know 1-day 1-park tickets are up to $139 now for Saturdays, some Sundays and other peak dates at WDW, while holiday week is $159? Seriously?

We figured out the problem, Disney. The average American family can barely afford to visit anymore, let alone make a whole vacation out of it.

We’re talking about just a few months to wait for the actual headliner of a land. If I was coming from that far I would wait those few months.

Can we start putting blame on LucasFilm as well or will the ardent defenders still grasp at straws? A lot of Star Wars stuff seems to be crumbling post “you know what movie” and now the theme park land too which many thought would be a sure win due to how popular the parks are anyway.

I still think we need to see what it’s like once Rise opens though. Having the headliner could change everything. Avatar had its headliner at opening and was very successful. Still is.

Lucasfilm created a wonderful planet named Tatooine, and had many iconic things on that planet.

Disney decided to make up their own planet, with zero iconic locations.

Lucasfilm created one of the most famous pilots EVER. Then Disney have a ride in his ship, but don’t use him at all.

Lucasfilm ain’t the problem.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Lucasfilm created a wonderful planet named Tatooine, and had many iconic things on that planet.

Lucasfilm created one of the most famous pilots EVER. Then Disney have a ride in his ship, but don’t use him at all.

I wouldn't got that far...remember this is Lucasfilms without Lucas.

Disney's Bob Iger Says George Lucas Felt "Betrayed" by 'Star Wars' Plans | Hollywood Reporter

Just speaks to disney’s arrogance that they don’t even bother discussing with the creator of one of the biggest franchises ever what their theme park land is going to look like. I understand they own the property, but clearly, they aren’t sure of how to handle it all.

I don’t think it’s accurate modern LucasFilm had nothing to do with the land.

As an aside, I’m somewhat happy Indy 5 seems to be in development hell. They’d probably ruin that too.

Sorry, but I can't cry any tears for Lucas. He ruined the OG films with the special editions. He also released 2 terrible and 1 so-so prequel that have aged poorly.

Based on the article...Lucas seemed more upset with the technology involved vs the actual story line. Which makes sense considering he was constantly tinkering with his films to make them "better" by adding more and more CG garbage.

The Force Awakens felt more like a "Star Wars" film then any of the prequels. I literally just watched Attack of the Clones a few weeks ago, and can't believe how terrible it was.

Sorry, but I can't cry any tears for Lucas. He ruined the OG films with the special editions. He also released 2 terrible and 1 so-so prequel that have aged poorly.

Based on the article...Lucas seemed more upset with the technology involved vs the actual story line. Which makes sense considering he was constantly tinkering with his films to make them "better" by adding more and more CG garbage.

The Force Awakens felt more like a "Star Wars" film then any of the prequels. I literally just watched Attack of the Clones a few weeks ago, and can't believe how terrible it was.
I personally grew up with the prequels, along with the OG trilogy. I saw the OG trilogy first, but was very young to recognize the weirdness of the prequels. I found The Force Awakens to be the PERFECT Star Wars movie for my first theatre experience with Star Wars. I'll always hold the prequels close to my heart. But thats Nostalgia for ya

Reactions: SkiBum