Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

Lucasfilm created a wonderful planet named Tatooine, and had many iconic things on that planet.

Disney decided to make up their own planet, with zero iconic locations.

But what would go in a Tatooine-centric land?

Pod-racing and Cantina are obvious. Maybe could still put Smuggler's Run in? And maybe a tour-type thing for Luke's farm house. Maybe Watto's shop as well? Nothing more that's obvious though.

What would've been cool is to have a central 'planet' (Tatooine) as the land. And then have a spaceport leading off to different rides that could be set elsewhere. Part of the ride could be a hyperspace voyage to said planet.

Sorry, but I can't cry any tears for Lucas. He ruined the OG films with the special editions. He also released 2 terrible and 1 so-so prequel that have aged poorly.

Based on the article...Lucas seemed more upset with the technology involved vs the actual story line. Which makes sense considering he was constantly tinkering with his films to make them "better" by adding more and more CG garbage.

The Force Awakens felt more like a "Star Wars" film then any of the prequels. I literally just watched Attack of the Clones a few weeks ago, and can't believe how terrible it was.
That’s because TFA was essentially a remake. The best original Star Wars movie made by Disney is Rogue One.
But what would go in a Tatooine-centric land?

Pod-racing and Cantina are obvious. Maybe could still put Smuggler's Run in? And maybe a tour-type thing for Luke's farm house. Maybe Watto's shop as well? Nothing more that's obvious though.

What would've been cool is to have a central 'planet' (Tatooine) as the land. And then have a spaceport leading off to different rides that could be set elsewhere. Part of the ride could be a hyperspace voyage to said planet.
Galaxy’s Edge as it is now including Rise could easily have been done as Tatooine instead. Just add a sit down restaurant of Jabba’s Palace and you’ll have all the major locations covered. Instead of Pod Racing though I’d make it a Landspeeder coaster through Beggar’s Canyon.

Last edited:
I went this past weekend. My overall thoughts:

Smuggler's Run is... pretty fun! I went on it twice: once as a pilot then engineer. Piloting is fun but can sometimes feel slightly irresponsive. The latter ride was very jerky because two little kids were piloting, but that added to the fun. The queue is incredible, as is the Hondo AA. This definitely isn't a headliner attraction, but it's a strong addition for the park.
The land itself is... nice? There's a lot of dead space in it, especially by Grand Avenue and Toy Story Land. These transitional sections need a bit more life in them. However, the central section is beautiful! There were always stormtroopers hanging around the Falcon, but I didn't see any of the other mini shows.
The experience at Oga's is... unique. I went in after rope dropping SR and waited about five minutes to get in. It feels authentic to the franchise, and the Black Spire Brew was better than I expected. I would probably enter again if the wait was short to try more drinks.
Blue Milk is... overpriced but decent. The portion you get is laughable for $7, but the drink isn't terrible. The texture is a bit strange, but it tastes BLUE.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the land. It could've been better (and will be better with Rise), but it isn't terrible.

That’s because TFA was essentially a remake. The best original Star Wars movie made by Disney is Rogue One.

Galaxy’s Edge as it is now including Rise could easily have been done as Tatooine instead. Just add a sit down restaurant of Jabba’s Palace and you’ll have all the major locations covered. Instead of Pod Racing though I’d make it a Landspeeder coaster through Beggar’s Canyon.

I was referring to the special effects rather than the story. The use of actual physical locations / creatures vs tons of green screen makes a huge difference in the overall films.

I’d also argue the prequels were missing the pacing of the original movies

I was referring to the special effects rather than the story. The use of actual physical locations / creatures vs tons of green screen makes a huge difference in the overall films.

I’d also argue the prequels were missing the pacing of the original movies
The major issue of the Prequels was that George was in charge of everything and almost no one fought with him. He didn’t have that kind of total control with the OT. He’s better when he’s bouncing off other people.

The major issue of the Prequels was that George was in charge of everything and almost no one fought with him. He didn’t have that kind of total control with the OT. He’s better when he’s bouncing off other people.

but he won't "bounce off other people", because he's also extremely egotistical. Hence feeling "betrayed" despite getting 4 Billion dollars for the franchise rights.
I'm sure he's wiping his tears with $100 bills.

If you've ever read the story about Lucas Ex-Wife, the original co-writer of Star Wars, you'll understand where the actual heart of this franchise lies. Lucas has always been focused on technology and special effects. Which is great considering he helped develop Digital Editing, Sound, and Special Effects, but it was also his downfall when he relied too much on technology to tell his story.

For everyone that keeps saying Tatooine should have been picked for Star Wars Land, you can't hide the surroundings from Tatooine, let alone a massive show-building. It is a flat desert with a handful of one story buildings.

For everyone that keeps saying Tatooine should have been picked for Star Wars Land, you can't hide the surroundings from Tatooine, let alone a massive show-building. It is a flat desert with a handful of one story buildings.

Shh don’t ruin their fantasy that will never happen.

but he won't "bounce off other people", because he's also extremely egotistical. Hence feeling "betrayed" despite getting 4 Billion dollars for the franchise rights.
I'm sure he's wiping his tears with $100 bills.

If you've ever read the story about Lucas Ex-Wife, the original co-writer of Star Wars, you'll understand where the actual heart of this franchise lies. Lucas has always been focused on technology and special effects. Which is great considering he helped develop Digital Editing, Sound, and Special Effects, but it was also his downfall when he relied too much on technology to tell his story.
Wasn’t his ex the editor that “saved” the movie?
Shh don’t ruin their fantasy that will never happen.
Who here was saying it would?

Like, seriously, who?

And it would look equally deserted until Rise of the Resistance opens.

open-uri20150608-27674-m6xfo_e2c4e766.jpeg

The fact that Disney managed to drop Star Wars Galaxy Edge comments into three of their family comedies dialogue is really annoying because its not even subtle nor did it make sense especially on Black-ish. Why they hell would a grown man and his fiance who never showed any interest in Star Wars want to Honeymoon in Batuu? At least the Goldbergs one made some sense thanks to it being the 80s and Star Wars was a heavy part of that decade.

However that shows a huge level of desperation.

The fact that Disney managed to drop Star Wars Galaxy Edge comments into three of their family comedies dialogue is really annoying because its not even subtle nor did it make sense especially on Black-ish. Why they hell would a grown man and his fiance who never showed any interest in Star Wars want to Honeymoon in Batuu? At least the Goldbergs one made some sense thanks to it being the 80s and Star Wars was a heavy part of that decade.

However that shows a huge level of desperation.
The Goldbergs also doesn't make sense specifically because it's 80's. Batuu doesn't exist until post-New Trilogy in the timeline.

I’m guessing the real test will be after the holidays once Rise is open. Good word of mouth on the star attraction helped Pandora so maybe it’ll work here. If it’s only packed for the holidays and then goes back to current levels for like all of 2020 then we can officially say it’s a flop. It should also be a good lesson to not open a land without its star attraction.

The Goldbergs also doesn't make sense specifically because it's 80's. Batuu doesn't exist until post-New Trilogy in the timeline.
Adam Goldberg is excited to ride the new Star Tours Ride... but comments how Disneyland needs a whole Star Wars land.

Imagine if Wizarding World didn't exist......and Universal opening a Harry Potter land in 2040.....and basing it on Fantastic Beasts.....???

Disney dropped the ball. It is too obsessed with creating new content.....and not honoring.....or recognizing the value and popularity of the original Star Wars trilogy. This isn't rocket science.