Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System

Got to ride the Skyliner today, I went on all 3 tracks (routes ?) and I really enjoyed it. It was a very nice, quiet, peaceful trip between the parks and it honestly made me miss the old Skyway in MK.

Unfortunately, when stopped it got a little too stuffy in there for my liking so I probably won’t be revisiting it until the cooler months but that was really the only negative for me. Also, I don’t remember where I heard it/read it but I will say I’ll be shocked if they’re really gonna try to fit 10 people in those things.

Another thing-if you’re sitting near the doors watch your feet.

Got to ride the Skyliner today, I went on all 3 tracks (routes ?) and I really enjoyed it. It was a very nice, quiet, peaceful trip between the parks and it honestly made me miss the old Skyway in MK.

Unfortunately, when stopped it got a little too stuffy in there for my liking so I probably won’t be revisiting it until the cooler months but that was really the only negative for me. Also, I don’t remember where I heard it/read it but I will say I’ll be shocked if they’re really gonna try to fit 10 people in those things.

Another thing-if you’re sitting near the doors watch your feet.
What were the wait times like?

I think I waited maybe 5-10 minutes tops? They’re constantly moving, so the load and unload is done pretty quickly.
way better than a bus....or even driving....plus good scenery. My only concern was the wait times, and it sounds pretty good. Which hotel were you based? They'll be really good to take a mid day break and go back to the hotel pool without wasting a lot of time in traffic.

way better than a bus....or even driving....plus good scenery. My only concern was the wait times, and it sounds pretty good. Which hotel were you based? They'll be really good to take a mid day break and go back to the hotel pool without wasting a lot of time in traffic.

Not a guest at a hotel, they’re still doing CM previews! I believe they open for everyone officially on Sunday.

Wait was never gonna be a problem as these are almost exactly like omnimovers. Designed for extremely high capacity and constant loading.

despite the obvious temperature issues, these appear to be a big hit...could they ever replace the monorail systems?

despite the obvious temperature issues, these appear to be a big hit...could they ever replace the monorail systems?
I mean, if Disney really wanted, they could rip out the monorail track and use the existing stations (modified of course) for Gondolas.

I got to ride one line yesterday (Caribbean Beach to Studios). The station is quite nice, but nowhere the main entrance to the hotel, so it's quite a hike to get to. The cars are roomy, the lines move very fast. They can pull a car or two off the main track from ADA loading, so there's really no reason for the line to really stop. I saw a huge ass line for it when we were about to return that I tweeted about, and someone else replied that that long ass line took less than 10 minutes to get through.

In terms of scenery, there's not all that much to report. To me, the lines seem relatively close to the ground than the traditional Skyway. This was more built for efficiency than scenery, and it serves it's purpose. They have a nice breeze when it's moving, but if it stops, it can get a bit stuffy. But if you do stop, it doesn't seem for long.

I am wondering if Disney is going to cut back on their buses with this new mode of transportation added. And if they do, what will happen when the Skyliner breaks down or goes down due to weather conditions?

I am wondering if Disney is going to cut back on their buses with this new mode of transportation added. And if they do, what will happen when the Skyliner breaks down or goes down due to weather conditions?
They usually add more buses currently when another mode of transport is down.

They usually add more buses currently when another mode of transport is down.
Just like when the monorail or the boats go down, they re-route buses to fill in. That means service at the resorts suffers with buses coming less frequently.

I'm hearing there was a downtime for Skyliner last night with some guests stuck for 40 minutes.

Using an umbrella stroller for the video was wise. Except only the few rational people bring umbrella strollers. Everyone else brings monstrosities. Even the new restrictions still allow for pretty decent sized strollers. It'd be hilarious/ironic if their rentable strollers barely fit through that door.

So it's hard to properly compare to July/August temperatures with no breeze and 100 degree weather.

I don't see how anyone could argue it will be "comfortable" in those type of conditions.

No point in arguing about it though, I won't be visiting the park during those times anyway.
Anyone who bitches about the heat in the skyliner are just bitching for the sake of bitching.

If it's 100 degrees out, no one is escaping the heat in the parks. So someone has to ride in a gondola for 10 mins? Cry me a river.
What are they doing in the parks? Taking an air conditioned bus to each attraction?
Complainers doing what complainers do the best. Complain.

Got to ride the Skyliner today,

I haven't seen this yet, but do they have a ticket touchpoint prior to getting into the Skyliner? It would cost essentially nothing to tap a magic band, hotel key or park ticket.
It'll be quite annoying if non-paying locals are making lines longer using this as part of a "free Disney day".