Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Sony/Marvel Spider-Man Deal

If the 3rd Spider-Man movie with Tom Holland and Disney will be the last, then it will be the last. Sony still owns the film/distribution rights to Spider-Man so people can expect the partnership will not last forever. On an unrelated note, there's still a rumor going around that either Apple or Netflix will pony up the cash into buying Sony Pictures. I wonder to the extent that is true, considering Sony has no plans to put its streaming service like the other four major studios are doing now.

So I’m hearing that Sony gave Disney the 50% they asked for?!? If that’s true that’s brutal and I almost wonder if the Feige-to-Star Wars news was to put Disney in a position of leverage...

So I’m hearing that Sony gave Disney the 50% they asked for?!? If that’s true that’s brutal and I almost wonder if the Feige-to-Star Wars news was to put Disney in a position of leverage...
Disney is getting 25% and putting up 25%, Sony now gets Disney+ on their PlayStation network (and a cut when it airs there). What Disney did not get was control of the additional SpiderVerse universe characters,

Sony is alive and healthy, can’t see why they would sell unless they want out of the business like Murdoch.

Paramount is in much greater danger of being sold imo.

Paramount's parent company Viacom is merging with CBS that might be done by the end of this year so that doesn't really count. I really wonder if Sony Corporation still wants to stay in the Hollywood industry a bit longer, as times began on rapidly changing due to streaming services and the like.

Sony is alive and healthy, can’t see why they would sell unless they want out of the business like Murdoch.

Paramount is in much greater danger of being sold imo.

While Sony Pictures Entertainment is doing well....Sony Corp is doing okay with massive negative effects due to political relations between China, Korea, and Japan. Which is why activist investors may try to get Sony's leadership to sell despite being somewhat healthy.

While Sony Pictures Entertainment is doing well....Sony Corp is doing okay with massive negative effects due to political relations between China, Korea, and Japan. Which is why activist investors may try to get Sony's leadership to sell despite being somewhat healthy.

Who are these "activist investors"?

Well Sony & Marvel/Disney could balance both the MCU & Sony’s Spiderverse as a way for Tom Holland to portray Spider-Man. Hoping the future MCU film after the third Spider-Man film is Secret Wars.

Sony and Disney have tapped a deal: Going forward, 18 months after Sony releases their Spider-Man projects to Netflix, they will go immediately to Disney+. This will be from 2022 to 2026.

More details are here:

It starts with Sony's 2022 slate to 2026, and other Marvel properties Sony has, and other Sony content will go onto Disney+, Hulu, FX Networks, ABC, Disney Channels and Freeform.

Between this and the Netflix deal, Variety report Sony will make $3 billion. I guess not having a streaming service pays off for them.

Sony is the clear-cut winner out of all of this. They don't have a streaming service (that would probably flounder anyway), so instead of spending ridiculous amounts of money just to build a service, knowing that it'll be a money loser for quite some time based on literally every streaming service in existence, they've chosen to cash in on being the only big studio left that's a "free agent" and instead of investing and potentially losing billions upon billions of dollars, they're securing a huge bag of $3 Billion.

But it's not like these are extremely long-term deals with either Netflix or Disney, so it also makes them have to keep coming up with new ideas and new properties to turn into franchises and then if they re-up, they'll be able to secure even more money next time around.

I'm so excited to finally be getting official Spider-Man stuff on Disney+ outside the cartoons. Homecoming/FFH, Spiderverse, Venom, and the Raimi movies are a massive hole in Disney+'s lineup. What a win for both parties.

I'm so excited to finally be getting official Spider-Man stuff on Disney+ outside the cartoons. Homecoming/FFH, Spiderverse, Venom, and the Raimi movies are a massive hole in Disney+'s lineup. What a win for both parties.

Hopefully the next thing will be for US streaming rights on The Incredible Hulk; and then they'd be set for the backlog content for the MCU (especially considering She-Hulk having Abomination).

Hopefully the next thing will be for US streaming rights on The Incredible Hulk; and then they'd be set for the backlog content for the MCU (especially considering She-Hulk having Abomination).
Universal is never giving Disney Hulk for streaming or giving up their theatrical rights. Not that it matters. Disney can use Hulk and his associated characters in MANY ways without theatrical distribution.

And on top of She-Hulk, we’re probably gonna Red Hulk in Thunderbolts, too.

Universal has a 44 year history with the Hulk, that's part of the reason they had Hulk rights to begin with.
The problem is they have no leverage since Disney can still use the characters outside of a Hulk movie and we're getting a She-Hulk show with no mention of Universal and Disney having done a deal to making it happen. So if they can have Ruffalo in the movies as hulk, in a She-Hulk show as Hulk (along with She-Hulk's origins), and possibly Thunderbolt Ross turning into Red Hulk if they go that route.... it's just like, yeah Universal has a history and technically a contract for distribution, but Marvel doesn't need Universal in any way.