Attendance Tracker | Page 114 | Inside Universal Forums

Attendance Tracker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think that more so why theme parks are soft this year. They are overpriced for the value they provide. Universal is probably suffering a less steep drop due to the facts hotels are much cheaper than disney. As mentioned in another thread, US travel internationally and domestically to other areas is up from previous years.

I think that more so why theme parks are soft this year. They are overpriced for the value they provide. Universal is probably suffering a less steep drop due to the facts hotels are much cheaper than disney. As mentioned in another thread, US travel internationally and domestically to other areas is up from previous years.

The dollar is strong which makes things even more expensive from anybody outside the US.

Add on the ever increasing prices, it’s quickly becoming not worth it.

The best example is parking, since 2012 to now with the bad exchange rate and increased prices, it now costs almost triple compared to 7 years ago.

Universal hasn't been shy to offer ticket deals while Disney would focus on locals more. See the "buy two days get three free" for UOR vs Disney offering discounts for locals only.

Yup the buy two get three free deal was pretty much the only reason I booked my trip. Got a deluxe room for 4 of us at Portofino for about $400(I refuse to do Universal without express). First time staying there as I usually stay at Royal Pacific but the price was about the same this go around.

It is worth noting that HHN numbers are well below what they were last year and what was expected. HHN isn’t even that expensive of a mini-vacation.

Really seems Domestic tourism as a whole has taken a pretty big dive.
It's been said destination theme parks, and other type entertainment, are the canary's in the coal mine in regards to the economy 6 months to a year down the line. We'll soon find out if that's true in this case.

That's three and a half years away. If a recession hits next year it'll likely be "over" (if appropriate measures are taken) in 2021 or 2022. Remember OG Potter opened in 2010, a year after the Great Recession ended and we know how well that did. It wouldn't surprise me if Comcast is expecting and planning for this already (and the cheaper construction/labor that comes with a recession) to build the park.

I work in the financial industry, a fortune 100 company with a heavy, heavy consumer component. We are having our best year in the past 4 years, by far, and the 2-3 year outlook is amazing. And our business relies upon and touches a myriad of very important bellweather consumer areas as well- housing, lending, savings, consumption, and several others. All performing solidly with positive forecasts as well.

No recession on the horizon unless we are just the one company who somehow got lucky (and so did all our customers, and all our new customers who we add monthly who also look really really strong). And unless we just happen to work in the 5-10 important economic areas that will remain strong while everything else tanks enough to kill everything. Unlikely.

I believe people have to remember that people are choosing different vacation options as well. The fastest growing vacation option seems to be cruising. The industry is growing at a break neck pace to meet demands. That’s what my family has chosen the last couple of years. It allows more relaxation than the hustle and bustle of crowds at a theme park. The price point also holds better bang for the buck in my opinion. Thinking about spending 5 to 10 thousand dollars to take my family across the country every year with nothing more than a new ride seems a little wasteful with my money when we can visit new countries with new experiences while traveling on a moving hotel with ocean front views from our rooms balcony. With how the ships are built these days they are a destination in themselves.

Sorry but I’m so tired of hearing this economic recession crap I’ve been reading on here for over a year and a half. It’s getting old and those of you who honestly believes that the theme park numbers of Orlando are a sign for the economies health are very short sighted and naive. The economy is fine, maybe it’s the fact that travelers are getting wise to over inflated prices by certain theme parks. New experiences and destinations have grown. Capitalism means competition, cruise lines saw what family business can do and have been pushing harder and harder for that demo, with there growth comes loss. Why do you think Disney is building 3 new ships and opening a new destination which they purchased/leased in the Bahamas. Cities like San Diego, LA, New Orleans, Seattle, New York, Miami and Cape Canaveral are constantly having new ships added. Royal Caribbean and Norwegian are building new and larger terminals in Miami. MSC building a new terminal to support its investment in Miami, and Carnival building/upgrading the terminal in cape Canaveral. All the cruise lines are also continuing to dump huge investments into ports of call throughout the Caribbean and Mexico. That industry is booming because it has grown from a older refined clientele into the younger couples and family market(the bread and butter of theme parks).

With all that said I’ll be in Orlando next year for Disney and the moment Epic universe opens. So no I’m not trying to say that I’m against the parks now it’s more so that it’s becoming less every year or even every other year and more so every 3-4 so that I get my money’s worth is all. I still love the parks so don’t hate me.

Last edited:
Universal hasn't been shy to offer ticket deals while Disney would focus on locals more. See the "buy two days get three free" for UOR vs Disney offering discounts for locals only.

Not just that, forever refillable popcorn and drink containers. All day Freestyle cups (and the drink don't taste like sulfur). Universal has LOTS of deals Disney doesn't. Want good tasting water at Disney? That'll be $3.50.

Reactions: frenchy2475
Not just that, forever refillable popcorn and drink containers. All day Freestyle cups (and the drink don't taste like sulfur). Universal has LOTS of deals Disney doesn't. Want good tasting water at Disney? That'll be $3.50.

Add in the value of the resorts for what you get and it might not matter to some but the time saved by having everything in such a smaller plot of land means more time in the parks and better bang for your buck.

Reactions: Mad Dog
The continuous price increases definitely have to have families balking at them... because it's not just on the tickets.. its in almost every single facet of the vacation, from the parking as mentioned above, to food and drinks, to resort prices.

We barely recognize it as I imagine most of are Annual Passholders for at least one resort and try to get the bang for our book in more frequent visits, plus take advantage of the discounts on our pass. But the AVERAGE family? Yikes.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Looking like both WDW and Universal are doing better crowd wise this weekend. Lines look moderate, not slow.

All anecdotal evidence suggests both resorts slammed this weekend. Teacher friend from TN said it's Fall Break, that new Southern "holiday" that none of us north-easterners who live in Orlando have heard of. For at least 5 or 6 years now, WDW sees Xmas level crowds over Fall Break, as it's the rare time when schools are out but prices at their lowest.

All anecdotal evidence suggests both resorts slammed this weekend. Teacher friend from TN said it's Fall Break, that new Southern "holiday" that none of us north-easterners who live in Orlando have heard of. For at least 5 or 6 years now, WDW sees Xmas level crowds over Fall Break, as it's the rare time when schools are out but prices at their lowest.
:thumbsup: yes, even up this way (Western Pa.) many of the schools will have small short Fall breaks in a week or two. Probably one reason Octobers have been good for the parks the past half dozen years.

Reactions: SeventyOne
The continuous price increases definitely have to have families balking at them... because it's not just on the tickets.. its in almost every single facet of the vacation, from the parking as mentioned above, to food and drinks, to resort prices.

We barely recognize it as I imagine most of are Annual Passholders for at least one resort and try to get the bang for our book in more frequent visits, plus take advantage of the discounts on our pass. But the AVERAGE family? Yikes.

Remember, Disney raised prices on pretty much all food by almost 15% this year. That’s just insane.

We went to MNSSHP and didn’t spend one cent in the park, absolutely a first for us to spend nothing. We being in thermoses with water, protein snacks, and laughed at the Coke prices. Even merch is just too damn expensive. It wasn’t long ago the event shirts were very reasonable (same for HHN). Not to mention the designs just weren’t appealing.

Then we did a day at Epcot and DHS. I bought 2 thermal detonator Cokes and 1 blue milk. And I’ll never buy them again.

Remember, Disney raised prices on pretty much all food by almost 15% this year. That’s just insane.

We went to MNSSHP and didn’t spend one cent in the park, absolutely a first for us to spend nothing. We being in thermoses with water, protein snacks, and laughed at the Coke prices. Even merch is just too damn expensive. It wasn’t long ago the event shirts were very reasonable (same for HHN). Not to mention the designs just weren’t appealing.

Then we did a day at Epcot and DHS. I bought 2 thermal detonator Cokes and 1 blue milk. And I’ll never buy them again.

I really noticed food prices at universal this trip. Seemed like they were higher than last year (maybe I am misremembering?) and the quality was lower.

Except for the shakes at Mel’s. $6 shake, tasted like it was priced right. Those were very good.

Everything, everywhere else in the park, felt wicked expensive. We ate there less and less and became much more choosy, lots of sharing.

As an aside- paper straws? Way to ruin a $8 butterbeer, guys. Sheesh. We just grabbed a bunch of plastic straws first chance we got and brought those in with us. I love that they eliminate plastic straws, but still serve everything in plastic cups. Total lack of pragmatic awareness...While completely ignoring the absolutely gigantic carbon footprint of a theme park.

But hey, let’s get those straws out of there! Changing the world, one ruined beverage at a time!