Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion | Page 582 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Extremely light compared to recent years. It's fairly surprising.

I wonder what the actual attendance counts are. I know wait times have been more manageable (just got back from our trip, more to come); but, is it just lower crowds, are they doing a better job at spreading people out, or a combo of both?

It's hard to say... I don't know if last year Stranger Things was just super hot and it was the first year for it so it drew a lot more people than normal?

I think the crowds are really spread out now. Having Rob Zombie in SF and two shows allows people to spread out a bit more.

Lagoon show draws some people as well.

The Kidzone/MiB areas though get consistently low wait times every time I've been.

maybe the earlier days in September caught everyone by surprise, but by now lines should be longer,
on a couple of nights the longest line is for rip ride rock it, not even for a house.
now uni has every day ending at 2 am so they are expecting bigger crowds. maybe now that october is here it will pick up

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
^Careful with that multi-quote, my man. That’s a lot of posts in there. :lol:

It is very strange seeing Yeti’s and Tethered walking together to the break space at the end of the night. Not bad, just kinda ridiculous and funny looking. Like if in Us 2 the Tethered got backup or something lol.

Scareactor friends tell me show direction has been very sparse this year, save for Us. People have been kinda left to themselves when it comes to how they scare.

It is very strange seeing Yeti’s and Tethered walking together to the break space at the end of the night. Not bad, just kinda ridiculous and funny looking. Like if in Us 2 the Tethered got backup or something lol.

Scareactor friends tell me show direction has been very sparse this year, save for Us. People have been kinda left to themselves when it comes to how they scare.

:afraid::afraid::afraid: oh my god! i didnt notice :bonk:

Reactions: GA-MBIT

Including ST?

Extremely light compared to recent years. It's fairly surprising.

I was coming to report the same thing. I haven't gone this year but I've had friends and co-workers return with their house counts minus Express and I'm like.. what the hell? In recent years, the story was the typical.. "able to do" 3 or 4. This year it's more like 9 or all 10.. and on weekend nights! Attendance HAS to be softer this year.

I was coming to report the same thing. I haven't gone this year but I've had friends and co-workers return with their house counts minus Express and I'm like.. what the hell? In recent years, the story was the typical.. "able to do" 3 or 4. This year it's more like 9 or all 10.. and on weekend nights! Attendance HAS to be softer this year.
sounds like HHN is reflecting the same attendance issues as the parks at WDW and Universal. Something is really off....perhaps it's The Curse of Star Wars (distant relation to the Kid Zone Curse)...maybe Disney shouldn't have killed off all the beloved stars. The DARK side of the Force is showing it's power. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucky Planet
I know it wont count for much attendance wise but from the UK with Thomas Cook going bust must have had an impact.

We were very lucky in that we were able to move holiday days around at work and secure extra funds to rebook before we get refunds from Atol so this must have had an impact.

Could the decline be because of the movies used and because of word of Mouth?
Yes, everyone is crazy about stranger things and Ghostbusters is iconic,

But with the amount of comments on social media hating on the event for going soft , it makes me wonder if some people are simply skipping it due to lack of scares and no good IPs.

But with the amount of comments on social media hating on the event for going soft , it makes me wonder if some people are simply skipping it due to lack of scares and no good IPs.
My 11 year old sister who is indifferent about HHN somehow has heard this year “isn’t that scary”.

So yeah, I think word is spreading.

I honestly think it's just because people are getting squeezed financially. Job growth has been slowing, gas and rent are rising. I know personally a lot of people are talking about "saving up" now, when that usually wasn't an issue last year or the year before.

Gas is about the same this year as it was last year. But yes, I’m scared about...events.

(Can we at least have Bloody Mary back next year if...things...happen? For old times’ sake?)

Alright, gotta get off the subject to avoid going on a political rant.

@Lucky Planet and @Nick : Methinks they might really need a big horror icon next year? Don’t like to think what it would do to crowds, but from a business standpoint if they were able to get their hands on It, that would quiet the family-friendly talk immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if this a bigger widespread (potentially economic?) issue with HHN potentially having smaller crowds and the underwhelming response to Galaxy's Edge.

Have the parks during normal hours also been having lighter than expected crowds?

Most of all, any softness I hope doesn't equate to reduced investment for HHN30.

I wonder if this a bigger widespread (potentially economic?) issue with HHN potentially having smaller crowds and the underwhelming response to Galaxy's Edge.

Have the parks during normal hours also been having lighter than expected crowds?

Most of all, any softness I hope doesn't equate to reduced investment for HHN30.

This past weekend had the crowds in the parks and HHN. Even Disney parks were hopping.

Having had my first run through on Sunday lines were nowhere near as long as quoted. 90 mins for stranger things and we were in within 3 minutes with express.

Also didn't do all the houses but I didn't get 1 good scare through the 7/8 houses we went through. Feel like my timing was completely off so hoping for a much better run on Wednesday.

Based on just 1 night I definitely preferred last year but we have a few more nights yet so that may change.