Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The "IP That's Yet to Come" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
cuz Disney
I can see Disney eventually agreeing to let Universal use *some* properties. Especially if Disney has no plans to use many of the properties we’re talking about. It would be a way to at least make some money on IPs that they otherwise aren’t using.

I can see Disney eventually agreeing to let Universal use *some* properties. Especially if Disney has no plans to use many of the properties we’re talking about. It would be a way to at least make some money on IPs that they otherwise aren’t using.

My thought process went that if they could pitch it as a brand-building thing for both companies, like maybe start with something small, like a "Fox Searchlight" house a la Blumhouse, that'll "elevate the profile of Searchlight's lesser-known works by bringing them to the nation's premiere Halloween event" and bring up Universal's Symphony thing or whatever, then work their way up to AHS and Alien. I think it could really work out. Get a house going with Ready or Not, Antlers, and maybe Shape of Water or something.

Then again, I get the impression that Disney likes keeping things in-house, so I still feel like it'll be a tough, but not impossible, sell.

For a company that seems to really like making money, I'm surprised they're not more enthusiastic about the chance to license out the highly sought after properties at a premium price.

They're playing at a higher level. They don't want to make chump change licensing... they want to keep Universal from adding value to their parks and events, which in turn siphons away vacation days from their own properties.

They're playing at a higher level. They don't want to make chump change licensing... they want to keep Universal from adding value to their parks and events, which in turn siphons away vacation days from their own properties.

I know we’ve talked about this before, but this still seems like weird reasoning to me, if only because the HHN crowd isn’t really the Disney-going crowd

I know we’ve talked about this before, but this still seems like weird reasoning to me, if only because the HHN crowd isn’t really the Disney-going crowd

It doesn't matter to them, as they see Orlando vacationgoers as all part of one big pie. They don't want people staying at a Universal resort when they could be staying at a Disney resort.

Desperately want Halloween 3, ROTLD, Fright Night, The Fly, The Omen (it COULD be done, actually), Horrors of A24 (I'd go with Green Room, Hereditary, and Midsommar as Eggers would likely be a no-go), Theater of Blood (getting an underrated IP AND Shakespeare in there!), Mandy, J/K-horror, ugh the possibilities are endless...

i think I’d love to see an original inspired by Goosebumps, but I think the actual IP is just a little too young adult for HHN
See, I feel like they could do some brilliant stuff with it a la Poltergeist. The books/TV show definitely gets darker than the movie (which they should stay far away from).

See, I feel like they could do some brilliant stuff with it a la Poltergeist. The books/TV show definitely gets darker than the movie (which they should stay far away from).

I've said it before but theyre published by Scholastic, which I'm sure wants Goosebumps to have nothing to do with HHN.

Last edited:
soCal and Orlando are very different markets
When it comes to HHN, I don’t know a single person that loves HHN that doesn’t also like Disney or at least visit their parks a few times per year. The crowds have far more crossover than you seem to think, especially seeing as one of the main demos for HHN is now middle school/high schoolers and their parents.

And before you say anything about high schoolers not thinking a Disney is cool, that would be an extreme falsehood. WDW and UOR are hangout spots for high schoolers.

Some IPs that need to be a maze (regardless of rights issue):
- Mars Attacks
- Fright Night
- Creature Of The Black Lagoon
- Nosferatu
- Jaws
- Hellraiser
- Candyman
- IT
- Army Of Darkness
- Shaun Of The Dead
- Zombieland