Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion | Page 588 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I agree problems all start with A&D, but once the problems are discovered (obviously many could be avoided, but there’s only so many ways to build boo holes/show areas), things need to be done to protect to protect the actors in place. Not just this ho-hum attitude saying you’d rather actors get hit so the line moves unimpeded. That just reeks of elitist BS.
I left HHN wondering why they don't design spaces for ops to remain off the main path but be accessible enough to move people along if necessary

I think the worst moment was an op standing in front of theming in Graveyard Games

I wonder if there is tension with A&D and Ops...Maybe an attitude of 'we'll design it, you guys just figure out where you want security people'

Reactions: Lucky Planet
Except that's not what I said, at all.

I’m pretty sure that’s not what ANYONE said.

I think the main ops protest position is they are dayglo obvious in many houses, and appear to not really do anything except intrusively command/yell for you to keep moving, even if you are already moving.

My daughter and I were in a near solo Depths run (no one ahead, two people right behind and walking with us) and one ops person was still waving us forward and commanding us to “keep moving, keep moving” with annoyed body language.

Reactions: jrn14
I agree problems all start with A&D, but once the problems are discovered (obviously many could be avoided, but there’s only so many ways to build boo holes/show areas), things need to be done to protect to protect the actors in place. Not just this ho-hum attitude saying you’d rather actors get hit so the line moves unimpeded. That just reeks of elitist BS.
The solution is building ops holes with boo-holes within the scenes. There’s absolutely ways to accommodate both. The problem is that the function of house ops is established separately from house design. The two aspects aren’t in synch. Show directors don’t even have managerial control over house ops. Essentially, it’s two groups with two purposes that contrast.
Except that's not what I said, at all. I said that over in Hollywood, our ops are too passive and are literally doing nothing when performers get harassed. That's not great, but I'd rather the passive situation where performers deal with it themselves (not sure how Orlando deals with that) than the drill sergeant ops ruining the maze for performers AND guests.
And this is where the opposite purposes come from.

House ops is for the guests more so than the performers. Before house ops were so ubiquitous, the expectation were for the performers to keep an eye out for guests needing help—to the extent where we could bring them out of the house through our boo-hole if they were too scared to continue or had an issue (which I had to do a couple of times in Screamhouse). Problem is, when you’re in costume, it’s extremely difficult to convince someone you’re trying to help. Ops does that now. Scareactors get to focus solely on scaring.

The reason why ops don’t engage with violent guests, though, is because they have no recourse for escape. They don’t have a boo-hole to retreat into. They will follow particularly egregious guests (in Orlando), but they also know scareactors can report violent guests themselves. Me and the ops girl in my room in Catacombs actually figured out a system to decide who would report guests, and typically it was easier for me to it. If she followed them, the target shifted to her.

Hollywood still has a vibe that doesn’t require rushing people through like cattle. I think they still kinda pulse, and there are areas that allow guests to almost stop and gawk. So ops is passive, waiting for guest issues. Orlando has to push people through, or guests end up waiting even longer than they already are.

The ops dont bother me as much unless their placement is super awkward.
Theres one person
The rights for Jason are an absolute nightmare right now, and it sounds like Freddy might be headed down the same direction. Not saying it's not possible, but I definitely have my doubts at the availability of those two.

Hollywood had jason in their titans of terror house in 2017.
When i asked about the lawsuit, someone on here replied that the lawsuit didnt affect haunts or something. I dont know anything about it, but Miller started it back in 2016 and hhn still used jason in 2017. I dont know...

Here’s a fairly short summary of the suit. I would have to think that if it affects use of the character in games and figures (NECA recently pulled a new version of both Freddy and Jason from production), I would think it would affect any likeness rights, as they wouldn't have a single individual to pay out to.

Friday The 13th: The Game - Why Rights Issues Prevent Updates

I wonder how hhn hollywood used it, its not like it was hidden.

I love the idea of A/D designing placement for OPs in the house but OPs has to remain flexible to move their positions around from shift to shift. This can be for a variety of reasons which include:

1. Guest flow & Capacity - Finding bubble spots in the house where guest flow often slows or stops
2. Scareactor Safety - Characters or Booholes that are vulnerable to guest harassment
3. Guest Safety - Special Effects that can cause guest issues (heavy strobes, the spinning tunnel, etc...)
4. Ops Safety - Spots where OPs is mistaken for scareactors and could experience guest harassment
5. Emergency Exits - Self explanatory
6. Technical Failures - Guarding booholes/effects that either present a safety hazard or are prone to guest tampering

And Legacy is correct in that OPs is trained not to engage with violent guests (in fact all team members are sans Security). They are to either follow the guest out of the house or head directly to the house exit to report to Security/OPD.

Except that's not what I said, at all. I said that over in Hollywood, our ops are too passive and are literally doing nothing when performers get harassed. That's not great, but I'd rather the passive situation where performers deal with it themselves (not sure how Orlando deals with that) than the drill sergeant ops ruining the maze for performers AND guests.
And performers sometimes CANT deal with it themselves and need backup. It’s just not possible sometimes depending on where a scareactor is in the house. Many actually want ops around and make friends with certain ones to be quasi-bodyguards.

That was my point.

So I was wondering if we think hhn will do anything to tease next years event during the last couple weeks and if so what do you guys think it will be! I’m personally hoping maybe something special with marathon like how they announced the transformers ride on the lagoon way back!

Reactions: Lucky Planet
And performers sometimes CANT deal with it themselves and need backup. It’s just not possible sometimes depending on where a scareactor is in the house. Many actually want ops around and make friends with certain ones to be quasi-bodyguards.

That was my point.
I really thing scareactor safety is more important than thematics...There is also something to security being very visible in the houses and breaking theme...I suppose it almost communicates "hey, we're watching you" sort of thing

So I was wondering if we think hhn will do anything to tease next years event during the last couple weeks and if so what do you guys think it will be! I’m personally hoping maybe something special with marathon like how they announced the transformers ride on the lagoon way back!

Wow i didnt know the transformers thing. Omg. It would be great to see jack the clown or something

I really thing scareactor safety is more important than thematics...There is also something to security being very visible in the houses and breaking theme...I suppose it almost communicates "hey, we're watching you" sort of thing

Thats an excellent point.
When i did howl o scream i dont remember any Ops in the houses and some people would mess with the sets or the actors

Sorry to go off topic, but I have a question for the insiders. Has there been any talk of a “secret” scarezone towards the end of 29? I remember there being a new scarezone during 19 that was added the last weekend that gave a preview of sorts to HHN 20. Since the next event is an anniversary, what are the chances they’ll do this again?

Sorry to go off topic, but I have a question for the insiders. Has there been any talk of a “secret” scarezone towards the end of 29? I remember there being a new scarezone during 19 that was added the last weekend that gave a preview of sorts to HHN 20. Since the next event is an anniversary, what are the chances they’ll do this again?

Unlikely

Hey everyone , do you know if the Killer Klowns plastic blinking cups are for sale yet? When we went , they weren’t.

if anyone is going and wanted to pick up an extra one, I’d be happy to Venmo/PayPal you the money + shipping

Please PM me if you can! Thank you!!!

I’ll include the cost of the beer and then some !

Hey everyone , do you know if the Killer Klowns plastic blinking cups are for sale yet? When we went , they weren’t.

if anyone is going and wanted to pick up an extra one, I’d be happy to Venmo/PayPal you the money + shipping

Please PM me if you can! Thank you!!!

I’ll include the cost of the beer and then some !

Where were they supposed to be sold? I might look.

Where were they supposed to be sold? I might look.

there are various beer tents that have blinky cups. When we were there the killer Klowns one was not for sale yet. So we got ghostbusters. If anyone is going and can snag a killer Klowns one. I will pay for your beer/glass/shipping/+