Universal Studios Beijing (Now Open) | Page 40 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Beijing (Now Open)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Anyone else hear this will be the guinea pig for facial recognition for Universal theme parks?Basically face is ticket, express pass, and even pay.

Last edited:
Anyone else here this will be the guinea pig for facial recognition for Universal theme parks?Basically face is ticket, express pass, and even pay.
With the difficulties Disney had with ticketing for Shanghai, could go either way. How involved is the Chinese government with this project? If they are, I'd guess they might use facial recognition simply because China has been at the forefront of using it to track their citizens.

For the rumored KFP E Ticket boat ride, are we thinking more a JPRA, where its a bit shorter and more focused on going through The Valley of Peace, or maybe more like Dudley's where there's a longer story involved and more splash mountainish?

Anyone else hear this will be the guinea pig for facial recognition for Universal theme parks?Basically face is ticket, express pass, and even pay.
God I hope so. I, as an annual pass holder to UOR and very frequent visitor (weekly), would love the option to opt in to facial recognition for several reasons.
  1. My finger print frequently doesn't work. They make me take out my ID, rescan the finger, holding up my party and the line. If I could at least try facial recognition as an option then maybe I could bypass this hassle.
  2. They already take biometric information from me (my fingerprint) so I don't care if it's my face or my fingerprint. In fact, they take my photo constantly without my consent, but with facial recognition we could at least take back our fingerprints as our own.
  3. Fingerprint scanners spread germs

Now if facial recognition has big problems as well (which it likely will) then I would like an option to opt to use my fingerprint.

The facial recognition camera's are pretty much hit & miss with the hotel express passes.They go down often and don't always recognize well. ...plus they significantly slow down the line. It's not something that works well at this point in time.

Anyone else surprised there's nothing Fast and Furious? Ditching Supercharged is one thing but to ditch the whole franchise seems odd.

Like surely executives don't think that Supercharged being poorly received was down to the strength of the IP?

Anyone else surprised there's nothing Fast and Furious? Ditching Supercharged is one thing but to ditch the whole franchise seems odd.

Like surely executives don't think that Supercharged being poorly received was down to the strength of the IP?

I think either Supercharged IS coming to the park they're just not promoting it for obvious reasons, or they're retrofitting the Supercharged building for a new F&F ride but it either isn't ready to promote yet or hasn't been decided upon.

I think either Supercharged IS coming to the park they're just not promoting it for obvious reasons, or they're retrofitting the Supercharged building for a new F&F ride but it either isn't ready to promote yet or hasn't been decided upon.
If it’s the latter hopefully it comes to Orlando at some point.

The facial recognition camera's are pretty much hit & miss with the hotel express passes.They go down often and don't always recognize well. ...plus they significantly slow down the line. It's not something that works well at this point in time.
Maybe a fecal recognition system is needed. :rimshot:

Edit:

Seriously it does not work well. My first picture they took to establish my express pass was dark so every other time the scan did not work. Seems that is more of an operational issue. An

China's are extremely effective so while they don't work well here, its a very different ball game since they are getting involved with a country with the tech that can literally track someone's entire trip even if they try covering their face. (See what Hong Kong protestors have to do to prevent recognition by cameras to include having projectors projection map a new face every ten seconds).

The biggest benefit though of the facial recognition is you don't have your cards, you don't have cash, you don't have anything really on you. So you go through the park and you see something you want. You use face recognition to buy. It makes buying things so simple you can end up spending way more money than anticipated because you aren't going to think about it unlike magic bands which since you have to tap. You will always wondering if you tapped too much that day.

Last edited:
Not sure if its been discussed yet but they've severely reprofiled Hulk to the point where I dont think you can even call it a clone. Is it close? Yes, but the entire ride got the smooth tool treatment over OG Hulk.

China's are extremely effective so while they don't work well here, its a very different ball game since they are getting involved with a country with the tech that can literally track someone's entire trip even if they try covering their face. (See what Hong Kong protestors have to do to prevent recognition by cameras to include having projectors projection map a new face every ten seconds).

The biggest benefit though of the facial recognition is you don't have your cards, you don't have cash, you don't have anything really on you. So you go through the park and you see something you want. You use face recognition to buy. It makes buying things so simple you can end up spending way more money than anticipated because you aren't going to think about it unlike magic bands which since you have to tap. You will always wondering if you tapped too much that day.
Sounds like the kind of nightmare dystopia science fiction has been warning us about with too much technology.

Has anyone broken down the 'actual' acreage that the theme park only will occupy? Not including hotels, CitiWalk etc..........................and on the facial recognition, I was replying to the post concerning using those for Epic Universe. That hasn't been working well here in Orlando, so I doubt the new Orlando park will go with that. I realize the Chinese have been using their own system for their totalitarian big brother central government. They live in a entirely different world where the individual is worth nothing and the state is everything.

Last edited:
Has anyone broken down the 'actual' acreage that the theme park only will occupy? Not including hotels, CitiWalk etc.
About 100 acres excluding expansion plots, 120 acres including them.
Both numbers exclude the entrance area under and in front of the Universal hotel.

Reactions: Mad Dog
About 100 acres excluding expansion plots, 120 acres including them.
Both numbers exclude the entrance area under and in front of the Universal hotel.

I just realized something. How come all of the international resorts have hotels that are connected to the park (DL Paris, TokyoSea, Beijing, Etc.) and we only have the Grand Californian? (For now.)

It's such a cool thing to walk out of your hotel and into the park, why hasn't more american parks adopted that idea? I'd pay top dollar to sleep next to Animal Kingdom and yes i know there's AK Lodge but it's NOT ENOUGH!!!