Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DL)

RotR will really need to be a grand slam. Reportedly high attendance at Disneyland the past week due to Fall school breaks and Columbus Day holiday....but some Disney oriented site's forum posters are saying GESWL was dead for the most part.

Wait times and crowds were definitely consistent with the rest of the park. MFSR was 110 min.

With Flight of passage the ride is about a movie that looked nice but I didn't care for the characters. The ride doesn't take anything away from that as it is about the "look how beautiful this is".
I don't care for super hero's but I loved the Spiderman ride because of the spectacle.

For Rise it's all about the new trilogy and the characters have a main role in the ride and it's story. I love, love, love the first 3 movies and the actors but hate the new movies. I didn't even watch the second one in a theater and won't go to see the third one. Even if the ride is the second coming I'm afraid I walk away from it indifferently because the ride will remind me what it's not.

With Flight of passage the ride is about a movie that looked nice but I didn't care for the characters. The ride doesn't take anything away from that as it is about the "look how beautiful this is".
I don't care for super hero's but I loved the Spiderman ride because of the spectacle.

For Rise it's all about the new trilogy and the characters have a main role in the ride and it's story. I love, love, love the first 3 movies and the actors but hate the new movies. I didn't even watch the second one in a theater and won't go to see the third one. Even if the ride is the second coming I'm afraid I walk away from it indifferently because the ride will remind me what it's not.

Like I've said before.....imagine Universal doing Potter starring.......Newt!..... and locations never before seen in Potter movies!

Like I've said before.....imagine Universal doing Potter starring.......Newt!..... and locations never before seen in Potter movies!
Well, they technically are in Epic Universe. However, thats after opening Hogsmeade and Diagon so this really more looks like an expansion on the Potter verse, rather than "Hey look at new stuff from the Wizarding World!!!" Ill never understand people who don't see the lack of OG trilogy having a major impact on this land, I just don't.

They are really missing out on the millennials who grew up with the prequels, they should have recreated the galactic senate and had podracing!

(Unironically the last bit, heh)

I wonder how this will translate with attendance at SWGE? I was not crazy about the "final" trailer although they managed to get me a bit teary eyed with the C-3PO scene. It definitely looks better than the last one though.

the new ride is what will bring people, as long as it delivers.

If people here the final Star Wars movie is good, and that the big e ticket Star Wars ride at Disney is good, people will show. I expect actually a major revitalization with Star Wars if TROS is received well. That might be asking for a lot after TLJ and Solo's reception, but theres potential for sure. People will see the movie I don't doubt that.

I wonder how this will translate with attendance at SWGE? I was not crazy about the "final" trailer although they managed to get me a bit teary eyed with the C-3PO scene. It definitely looks better than the last one though.

Getting the vibe it doesn’t correlate.

My prediction: RotR will have a big opening day and weekend, but after that, it will back to normal.

Even if the ride is really awesome, there are two big blunders working against this ride’s potential:

1) GE has been hyped up to oblivion and has been open for a while. The people came and went. Even with Rise opening, the land itself is already underwhelming for many, so why spend the money to go back? If Disney is stupid enough to raise their prices AGAIN for the opening of this ride, that will be more underwhelming for everyone.

2) It’s based on the sequel trilogy. If the new movie is as underwhelming as I hear it is, there’s going to be a lot of resentment against this being based on the sequel trilogy.

If the ride bombs, I sincerely hope they’re smart enough to understand that it’s not because of the quality of the ride that it failed, but because of all of the mess behind the franchise.

If the ride bombs, I sincerely hope they’re smart enough to understand that it’s not because of the quality of the ride that it failed, but because of all of the mess behind the franchise.
If it's a great ride the movies don't mater (Waterworld, Splash Mountain). Except if this is heavily leaning on the characters and not so much the world, than it could be problematic.

I would have been more excited for this land if it were a place that I recognized from the original trilogy. And for those dismissing people that have a similar opinion to me.....remember that Star Wars fans from the 70s & 80s have children & grandchildren.
Most of the places in the original trilogy weren't iconic -- a majority of them were either indoor (Cantina, Bespin, Death Star, etc) or inside a space ship (Falcon, Star Destroyer, etc). When you saw a world it was either not very interesting (a desert, a forest) or a matte painting or CGI. What was iconic was the characters. But for whatever reason the sequel characters never caught on. People compare the land with a Potter-ish but Potter also featured iconic and unique locations that could be reproduced (Hogwarts, Diagon Alley) as well as the characters.

Most of the places in the original trilogy weren't iconic -- a majority of them were either indoor (Cantina, Bespin, Death Star, etc) or inside a space ship (Falcon, Star Destroyer, etc). When you saw a world it was either not very interesting (a desert, a forest) or a matte painting or CGI. What was iconic was the characters. But for whatever reason the sequel characters never caught on. People compare the land with a Potter-ish but Potter also featured iconic and unique locations that could be reproduced (Hogwarts, Diagon Alley) as well as the characters.
Yes, the stories are rather focused on characters and not necessarily building a world that needs to be replicated.

Looking at those clips, WOW, that ride looks really good! I’m pretty excited about this as a theme park fan, but a little tepid as a SW fan. While I’m sure the ride will be nothing short of amazing, it’s based on the mess that is the Disney trilogy; that will, I think, be the ride’s downfall.

While I’m sure this ride will attract a lot of people at opening just because it will be Christmas break at WDW and will open on an AP friendly day at DL; after that, it will be back to business as usual. This ride is going to be overshadowed by the mess that will likely be TROS and the tepid response to the lands opening. Everyone is already over the land despite this ride opening soon. Hopefully this will be a lesson to Disney to listen to the fans, give us what we asked for (Content based on the OT), instead of seeing this as, “Oh, nobody wants to see high end E-ticket rides”.

Side note: I find it really interesting that we’ll be sitting down in the resistance ship segment. It truly will feel like a ride within a ride.

Last edited: