Future of Shrek 4-D Orlando | Page 30 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Shrek 4-D Orlando

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I would love to see a transplant from HHN of the Ghostbusters and the Stranger Things house going into both Shrek theaters. They could even reduce the amount of actors used in there and automate some puppets or even make it a "studio tour " thing with a guide. I'm never there at HHN and would love to see it. This shouldn't cost Universal a lot and should be replaced after EU opens. It's old school Universal, I know, but it would be better imho.

I would love to see a transplant from HHN of the Ghostbusters and the Stranger Things house going into both Shrek theaters. They could even reduce the amount of actors used in there and automate some puppets or even make it a "studio tour " thing with a guide. I'm never there at HHN and would love to see it. This shouldn't cost Universal a lot and should be replaced after EU opens. It's old school Universal, I know, but it would be better imho.
It would cost more than you think. A permanent install requires higher quality materials and more “definitive” infrastructure. Instead of wood framing for the sets, it would be metal. Instead of a plywood platform floor, it would be concrete.

I’d definitely support some sort of “Studio Tour” walkthrough though. A walk-through movie ride would be interesting.

I mean "Universal Studios" is barely a studio anymore, and barely a studio park anymore lol. I think thats a good idea to bring some studio type element back in the park. Even to update it to modern times, there's gotta be some type of cool presentation/interactive attraction involving CGI or something. Imagine being able to create a CGI version of yourself or your own character? Not only "ride the movies" but now you can help "make and be a part of the movies" or something better worded than that lol.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
I mean "Universal Studios" is barely a studio anymore, and barely a studio park anymore lol. I think thats a good idea to bring some studio type element back in the park. Even to update it to modern times, there's gotta be some type of cool presentation/interactive attraction involving CGI or something. Imagine being able to create a CGI version of yourself or your own character? Not only "ride the movies" but now you can help "make and be a part of the movies" or something better worded than that lol.
In a world of YouTube, TikTok, Flash animation, Wikipedia, etc, is an attraction based around “How movies are made?” really all that necessary anymore?

I think that’s something that’s forgotten in the nostalgia about “old-school” Universal. In the 90s through about the mid-aughts, it was difficult to find information about how movies were made... and even more difficult to practice it. Now though, my iPhone can shoot 4K video, edit it, AND convert my face into a computer generated emoji with near 1:1 expression mapping. If I want to make my own movie, I can—with a device that fits in my pocket.

An “educational” studio park is a quaint idea that isn’t really needed anymore. If I want to know how they did the stunts in John Wick, I’ll watch the Blu-Ray extras. If I want behind the scenes stories, I’ll follow the director on Twitter.

The one exception to all of this is actually monster make-up. It’s an element that, because of the required resources and knowledge, is still rather “unobtainable” by the general public. And Universal already has that covered.

A studio tour that celebrates movies will work. A studio tour about how movies are made would likely be DOA.

In a world of YouTube, TikTok, Flash animation, Wikipedia, etc, is an attraction based around “How movies are made?” really all that necessary anymore?

I think that’s something that’s forgotten in the nostalgia about “old-school” Universal. In the 90s through about the mid-aughts, it was difficult to find information about how movies were made... and even more difficult to practice it. Now though, my iPhone can shoot 4K video, edit it, AND convert my face into a computer generated emoji with near 1:1 expression mapping. If I want to make my own movie, I can—with a device that fits in my pocket.

An “educational” studio park is a quaint idea that isn’t really needed anymore. If I want to know how they did the stunts in John Wick, I’ll watch the Blu-Ray extras. If I want behind the scenes stories, I’ll follow the director on Twitter.

The one exception to all of this is actually monster make-up. It’s an element that, because of the required resources and knowledge, is still rather “unobtainable” by the general public. And Universal already has that covered.

A studio tour that celebrates movies will work. A studio tour about how movies are made would likely be DOA.
I think thats fair for sure. I could see some interactive element like you joining a scene for a show/movie, creating your own fight scene, own animation, etc. As you said though that can be done with so much other technology so you're not wrong there.

Id love a studio tour celebrating the movies, but wasn't that essentially The Great Movie Ride? Different companies I know, but I think even a ride like that is not as popular anymore. When you can build lands like Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade, a tour through one scene of the movies isn't entirely enough. Id still take it though lol

Did Shrek on my most recent trip as a way to kill time before a dining reservation. Dinner was booked for 5pm so we joined the queue at 4.15 thinking we had plenty time, and entered the doors at 4.20pm. That pre-show is ridiculous! It lasted almost 15 minutes. We finally got out of the show at about 4.45pm. No way that show needs to be almost 30 minutes for the full experience.

Did Shrek on my most recent trip as a way to kill time before a dining reservation. Dinner was booked for 5pm so we joined the queue at 4.15 thinking we had plenty time, and entered the doors at 4.20pm. That pre-show is ridiculous! It lasted almost 15 minutes. We finally got out of the show at about 4.45pm. No way that show needs to be almost 30 minutes for the full experience.

yes, 1000 yes
extremely annoying, makes you regret going into the ride

Reactions: therock
Id love a studio tour celebrating the movies, but wasn't that essentially The Great Movie Ride? Different companies I know, but I think even a ride like that is not as popular anymore. When you can build lands like Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade, a tour through one scene of the movies isn't entirely enough. Id still take it though lol
If the Studios needs anything, it’s a “thesis” attraction. Yes, like Great Movie Ride. And now that THAT’S gone, there’s a place that Universal can step into. The Shrek location (or DM) is a perfect spot for it.

In a perfect world, it would be an omnimover or low-scale trackless that features projection mapping and practical effects. Start with a “collage” of silent movies, then move through scenes from Universal movies no longer or never featured in the parks: Flash Gordon, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Casper, Hitchcock, Apollo 13, Animal House, Jaws (begrudgingly), etc. End it with a “black box” finale that teases recent/soon to be released movies and you have something that will please a ton of people.

If the Studios needs anything, it’s a “thesis” attraction. Yes, like Great Movie Ride. And now that THAT’S gone, there’s a place that Universal can step into. The Shrek location (or DM) is a perfect spot for it.

In a perfect world, it would be an omnimover or low-scale trackless that features projection mapping and practical effects. Start with a “collage” of silent movies, then move through scenes from Universal movies no longer or never featured in the parks: Flash Gordon, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Casper, Hitchcock, Apollo 13, Animal House, Jaws (begrudgingly), etc. End it with a “black box” finale that teases recent/soon to be released movies and you have something that will please a ton of people.

replace Monsters Cafe and Shrek for a big, lavish dark ride

I mean you've sold me 100%. Im just not sure its realistic, but I don't disagree its a good idea and perfect location for it. It'd make Production Central feel more like that haha.

I might get some flack for this but...

I think a Hello Kitty through Universal IPs ride could work. Design it similar to how the cancelled Great Muppet Movie Ride would have worked, with Hello Kitty and Sanrio characters in classic Universal movie scenes. Exit through the existing Hello Kitty gift shop.
s-l400.jpg

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee

This.

The whole park needs to figure out what it is. The park used to be about how movies were made and where they were made at the time but it's nothing like that now.

Reactions: therock
This.

The whole park needs to figure out what it is. The park used to be about how movies were made and where they were made at the time but it's nothing like that now.
I agree, but I don't think this issue is exclusive to USF. What's the thesis of EU? Other than subtle hub theming, how does EU differ from IOA?

if it wasnt for hhn, for some people like me there would be no reason to ever step foot on this park, hhn has all the major rides open (with super short lines) and you get the hhn bonus. its been years since i visited during the day without hhn and it wasnt that great

I agree, but I don't think this issue is exclusive to USF. What's the thesis of EU? Other than subtle hub theming, how does EU differ from IOA?
I mean not sure we can answer this without the park opening. Ultimately? Likely not too different. I think with the hub and spoke, and the separated lands not connecting, having them all connect to the "Epic Universe" is the main and draw. Really, idk though. If the name was originally true and to be "Fantastic Worlds", I think we can all agree that was alluding to the highly immersive single IP lands that the park is intending to put out. You can lump Epic Universe into that same theme. I guess its ultimately not entirely different from IOA, but neither have the name "Studios" in them, when theres nothing that lends itself to being a studio other than soundstage being around and the Horror MakeUp show.

I might get some flack for this but...

I think a Hello Kitty through Universal IPs ride could work. Design it similar to how the cancelled Great Muppet Movie Ride would have worked, with Hello Kitty and Sanrio characters in classic Universal movie scenes. Exit through the existing Hello Kitty gift shop.
s-l400.jpg
Im not against this idea, not sure how realistic it is but its good to have a focus character be your narrator on your journey. Fun and easy way to honor these films and everyone could likely enjoy. Nice thinking!

Reactions: RFRees