Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Shrek 4-D Orlando

a super easy way to replace shrek is by making a 4D ride of SLOP
leave the queue and theaters the same but just change the theming and pre show.
I have a sneaking suspicion that whatever replaces this, even another show, will not be in 3D.

Even DreamWorks Theater is not 3D. Universal likely won’t be touching 3D again for a looooong time.

I wouldn’t mind Sing here though.

I have a sneaking suspicion that whatever replaces this, even another show, will not be in 3D.

Even DreamWorks Theater is not 3D. Universal likely won’t be touching 3D again for a looooong time.

Ya, they seem determined to not have a F&F Supercharged situation again, which is good and shows they pay attention. I cant remember the exact wording so this is a bit of heresy, but I remember in the announcement that they said something along the lines of "Expect the same immersion and detail that we have given to the WWoHP including our latest addition, Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure." That to me tells me expect more physical sets, AAs, unique ride experiences, etc. Dreamworks theatre Imo looks cool so I wouldn't hate that here, but I just feel the company is going in a much different direction.

I just think they're spending a LOT of $ on EU with likely no budget cuts and only budget expansion. Maybe they're hoping to make a little extra $ prior to EU opening so the return on their investment is even greater. We shall see though, hope to be proven wrong.
If this is true...
Say EU opens in mid 2023 and a decent ride takes 1.5 years (from demolition to open), that pushes us to 2025 for anything new at IOA/USF... Not to mention all the pre-planning/development which goes into a ride outside of just the physical aspect.

So if there's a rule at UOR which says "halt projects at USF/IOA until EU opens", they're going to have to break this rule at least a little in order to get something good open at their other parks in 2024.

My guess is that we'll start seeing walls go up in 2022 or early 2023.
So with EU announcing 2023, definitely doubt we see anything here until 2024. I simply can't believe Shrek is around after 2024.
So if I'm right with the above (that UOR will want something new at USF/IOA by 2024), they could demo Shrek in 2022 to start working on something for 2024.

Last edited:

Ya, they seem determined to not have a F&F Supercharged situation again, which is good and shows they pay attention. I cant remember the exact wording so this is a bit of heresy, but I remember in the announcement that they said something along the lines of "Expect the same immersion and detail that we have given to the WWoHP including our latest addition, Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure." That to me tells me expect more physical sets, AAs, unique ride experiences, etc. Dreamworks theatre Imo looks cool so I wouldn't hate that here, but I just feel the company is going in a much different direction.

why no 3D?

but yeah Sing would be perfect, i would not mind a Sing movie show and add animatronics to the pre show

why no 3D?

but yeah Sing would be perfect, i would not mind a Sing movie show and add animatronics to the pre show
Since Hogsmeade Universal has frankly added mostly 3D screen based attractions in Orlando. Minion Mayhem, Transformers, Gringotts, Skull Island, Jimmy Fallon, and Fast and Furious. They've done their work on 3D rides, time to move on to more practical stuff. While all these rides are done in different ways, they all serve somewhat the same purpose minus Skull Island and Gringotts maybe. Still, biggest complaint from UOR fans is too many screen based attractions. 3/4 first attractions when you walk into USF are screen rides that are nearly similar in ride system as well. Just need to diversify more.

Since Hogsmeade Universal has frankly added mostly 3D screen based attractions in Orlando. Minion Mayhem, Transformers, Gringotts, Skull Island, Jimmy Fallon, and Fast and Furious. They've done their work on 3D rides, time to move on to more practical stuff. While all these rides are done in different ways, they all serve somewhat the same purpose minus Skull Island and Gringotts maybe. Still, biggest complaint from UOR fans is too many screen based attractions. 3/4 first attractions when you walk into USF are screen rides that are nearly similar in ride system as well. Just need to diversify more.
At USF, if you skip Mummy and HRRR, you can go on 6 screen based attractions in a row!

They could possibly be waiting for SLOP to open at USH. If it proves a success (which I think it will), they can do a Transformers-esque construction timeline.
How long was Transformers again, like a year? Id think this would take longer than that but I'm not a construction expert here at all.

If I were them I’d turn one of the 2 theaters into Sing attraction from Japan then I’d make the other a flex space for things like HHN. Or put DreamWorks theater in the other theater and have it enter from Hollywood and sing enter from production central

I wouldn't mind a Dreamworks Theater or SLOP

One would be a cheaper option haha

Or get crazy, flatten it, and build the Minion Land from USJ
I’m actually against having Dreamworks theater replacing Shrek. I think it should be another illuminations property. I like cohesion. Uni seems to agree with me since there doing the exact same thing in USH.

Was tossing around an idea and wanted to poll the room about it: would it be possible to expand on the DreamWorks Theatre concept for Florida and make it almost like Universal's answer to The Magic of Disney Animation?

I'm picturing a show building with two floors: the bottom floor is the Virtual Queue for the top floor, the Theatre, but it's also its own thing you can view at your own leisure, a retrospective of DreamWorks history divided into rooms. One might be "Early DWA", talk about Antz, Prince of Egypt, Shrek, another talks about Bee Movie, Kung Fu Panda, et al., a third room for the 2010s, and then you have a room that rotates out the newest 3 or 4 movies. Bonus points if room can be made to talk about their TV stuff as well.

Thoughts?

This won’t happen but my dream is they bringing over the Shrek dark ride from Motiongate Dubai. They have the Kung Fu Panda ride from Dreamworks theater...