Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion | Page 38 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The reason I brought it up wasn't whether the 2023 date is accurate or not, I think we all believe this is the date they are shooting for (whether they make it or not).

However, is this an "announcement" or a "leak"? Some might think there's little difference here but it's important, it's whether Universal actually acknowledges this to be true or not. As of now it's a no (refuse to comment). So to me this was a slip up, something they may not have fully planned for, and we may not get an official announcement until later.

And yes, a CEO can leak. They are too busy to know some of the finer intricacies. I have seen them mess up on ride and restaurant names all the time (see Tom Williams talking about Hagrids Forbidden Forest Adventure). I've seen basic typos from them. They are not perfect people.

Yeah, I don't think this is that. After confirming Pets, Kong, the new park on previous earnings calls... I'd say he'd learn his lesson by now if it wasn't intentional.

Reactions: Mike S
And since we have some plant enthusiasts around here, this is the final page of the document that did not get shared in that tweet.
View attachment 11138
I was impressed with how great the area around Endless Summer has been landscaped. Would love to see something similar extended down to EU/whatever the ferris wheel location is called now, especially if Uni can pick up some more of the deader spots along Uni Boulevard.

Reactions: Alicia
Yeah, I don't think this is that. After confirming Pets, Kong, the new park on previous earnings calls... I'd say he'd learn his lesson by now if it wasn't intentional.
Is anyone going to slap him on the wrist to actually make him learn his lesson? Who is doing that? The investors who received the leaked info first or his boss who doesn't care?

Is anyone going to slap him on the wrist to actually make him learn his lesson? Who is doing that? The investors who received the leaked info first or his boss who doesn't care?

Well, Burke is the top of the food chain. If it was a problem, I'm sure someone would have let him know. Like I said before, he knows what he's doing.

Reactions: Mike S
2023 sure seems to be the target date considering the CEO said it. Can we just take a moment to appreciate that it'll likely take Universal 4 years or a little less to build up an ENTIRE new theme park, with new ride technologies, and what seem to be incredibly immersive lands?? How long did it take Disney to just build Guardians, or SWGE, or TSL, etc? Obviously the same can't be said for every project Universal does (ahem, Bourne) but the rate of speed that they build stuff is truly impressive.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I also don't really get the people thinking 2023 is some hard, unobtainable goal? It took them like 2 and 1/2 years from groundbreaking to opening with IoA. Again, not saying they will hit it, no doubt about it, but it's not a moonshot by any means.

Lots of people thought Transformers HAD to be 2014 and Diagon HAD to be 2015.

Reactions: Magic-Man
Well, Burke is the top of the food chain. If it was a problem, I'm sure someone would have let him know. Like I said before, he knows what he's doing.
And like I said before, people at the top of the food chain make mistakes all the time.

It's debatable whether this was a purposeful announcement or if he made (another) mistake. I'm not going to side with one or the other. If I don't know something for sure I don't assume and take a side.
I'm 100% sticking by my first post, and anyone who is claiming otherwise either a) has information they are not sharing or b) is making an assumption and taking a side. For reference I said:
but I'm still skeptical as to whether this was him slipping up and leaking the information or if this year was purposefully announced (eg a scripted answer).

On a side note, the landscaping looks beautiful and it's exciting to see these kinds of updates!

Last edited:
I also don't really get the people thinking 2023 is some hard, unobtainable goal? It took them like 2 and 1/2 years from groundbreaking to opening with IoA. Again, not saying they will hit it, no doubt about it, but it's not a moonshot by any means.
I think some folks are thinking 2023 is only 3 years away, but Fall 2023 is actually exactly 4 years away.

It should take longer than IOA, because this project will require more infrastructure to be built from scratch that was already in place when IOA was started... Regardless, I agree 3.5 to 4 years tops, should be enough time.

And like I said before, people at the top of the food chain make mistakes all the time.

It's debatable whether this was a purposeful announcement or if he made (another) mistake. I'm not going to side with one or the other. If I don't know something for sure I don't assume and take a side.
I'm 100% sticking by my first post, and anyone who is claiming otherwise either a) has information they are not sharing or b) is making an assumption and taking a side. For reference I said:

First slip up? Sure. 2nd? OK maybe. By the time we get to times 3,4,5.... I don't think it's a mistake.

Last edited:
We forget about this sometimes, but Comcast is a telecommunications company. In that business, I'd be surprised if you didn't announce large-scale infrastructure projects in financial calls because where else would you announce them?

Disney isn't used to routinely spending billions on putting wires in the ground, so they don't view financial calls the same way Comcast does.

Are we really just going to ignore some neat concrete details about how they're improving the landscaping and aethestics along the roads and sidewalks in favor of endless pointless debate about whether or not the CEO's statement counts as an announcement?

Personally, I think the landscaping and nice aesthetic touches shown in the documents (especially if they're also done along some of the other areas) should go a long way towards addressing the concerns of those who are worried about Universal's lack of a "bubble" lessening the experience for visitors traveling between the different campuses.

Are we really just going to ignore some neat concrete details about how they're improving the landscaping and aethestics along the roads and sidewalks in favor of endless pointless debate about whether or not the CEO's statement counts as an announcement?

Personally, I think the landscaping and nice aesthetic touches shown in the documents (especially if they're also done along some of the other areas) should go a long way towards addressing the concerns of those who are worried about Universal's lack of a "bubble" lessening the experience for visitors traveling between the different campuses.
And this isn't even the road on Universal's property. I'm really intrigued to see how Universal Way, the road that will connect Kirkman's expansion to Destination will be decorated, as that will be the one with the actual entrance to the theme park!

EHu20FhXUAEyEiP

Also, it seems that they're focusing a great deal on making the area much more pedestrian friendly. Anyone have any ideas how that will effect the area and businesses surrounding the park and convention center?

100%. Those green areas really make the resort come together. I was worried about the location of the new resort being far away from the main resort but if they tackle it with this level of detail then those crossings are gonna look awesome hopefully the rest of I-Drive goes through a beautification project as well.

Reactions: therock
I don't think that the purpose of these improvements is to improve views for guests traveling between the north and south resorts, but instead to create a county approved visual barrier for whatever ugliness Universal wants to build on the interior of their property.

Reactions: Andysol
I don't think that the purpose of these improvements is to improve views for guests traveling between the north and south resorts, but instead to create a county approved visual barrier for whatever ugliness Universal wants to build on the interior of their property.
I mean at least try and subtle.

There's another document that got published today which shows the perimeter landscaping they'll be putting in around the entire resort property. Like Happytycho said, this document is more about creating a visual barrier between the resort and its neighbors, but the Universal Blvd improvements are also very nice to see.

ftp://ftp.ocfl.net/divisions/Growth_Management/pub/POD/62375.26_UBPD_PDP_10-24-2019.pdf

(you'll have to copy/past that address, the forum software doesn't seem to like FTP links)

And speaking of visual barriers and their neighbors, an interesting agreement was filed between Universal and Lockheed Martin regarding building heights and creating visual screens to prevent people from seeing into Lockheed property. You can read the relevant excerpts below - there's also a little tidbit about fireworks:

ppzb4TQ.png

d1CxTqp.png