New Star Wars Trilogy from David Benioff/D.B. Weiss | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

New Star Wars Trilogy from David Benioff/D.B. Weiss

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Once again, internet opinions ignore reality. As much as folks disliked the last season of game of thrones. The D&D team have made tons of money, and multiple awards for their work on GoT. The idea of a fan backlash (which like last Jedi is way overblown) has effected their careers is ridiculous.

They have their pick of who to work with, and they have obviously chosen Netflix, who is known to throw out extreme amounts of money in any direction.

Seems not likely.

The Storm Podcast: Benioff and Weiss Were Out Before Netflix Deal : StarWarsLeaks

Vanity Fair reporter who covers GoT and SW says they were let go in May and were allowed to shop around to save face. Their comments last weekend expedited the “they’re gone” announcement.

So basically the exact opposite of what you said.

Once again, internet opinions ignore reality. As much as folks disliked the last season of game of thrones. The D&D team have made tons of money, and multiple awards for their work on GoT. The idea of a fan backlash (which like last Jedi is way overblown) has effected their careers is ridiculous.

They have their pick of who to work with, and they have obviously chosen Netflix, who is known to throw out extreme amounts of money in any direction.

Sorry, dude. 1/2 of the writers was behind the madness that is X-Men Origins: Wolverine. They adapted Martin's work well until there was nothing to adapt. When (mostly) left to their own devices, the show went downhill (with certain very head-scratching comments about the decision making in the Behind the Scenes features). Unlike most, I still enjoyed Seasons 6&7 despite their flaws, but they were too obvious to ignore for Season 8.

Sorry, dude. 1/2 of the writers was behind the madness that is X-Men Origins: Wolverine. They adapted Martin's work well until there was nothing to adapt. When (mostly) left to their own devices, the show went downhill (with certain very head-scratching comments about the decision making in the Behind the Scenes features). Unlike most, I still enjoyed Seasons 6&7 despite their flaws, but they were too obvious to ignore for Season 8.

To sort of piggy-back off of this..

I think D & D are very good adaptationists (seasons 1-4 of GoT are pretty amazing). But when it comes to creating and crafting their own stuff, they haven't really proved themselves. If anything they've proved that they don't know how to create on their own. Which should be worrisome to Netflix who just gave them $250 million to create a new show(s).

The decision to conclude the story at all was incredibly bold. The only thing they can be blamed for is the decision to rush to the end. The brevity of the dialog, the whiplash travel across the continent, the apparently unmotivated character pivots, all ties back to that. For all we know, George could have handed them all those plot points nobody likes on a cocktail napkin, intending to flesh them out over 20 years with 500,000 words each. Brilliant, we would have thought. Now he’s just laughing as he goes back to the drawing board.

I also don’t think people understand the monumental task and cost of keeping this cast and crew together going forward. The cast might be criticizing how poorly their character was handled now, but what were they asking for that next season?

I would have stopped production after season 6 and pointed at George whenever anyone asked about more. You want an ending, let that guy commit to it. Anyone who read the books as they were released has had the nagging suspicion in the back of their mind that this wasn’t going to end well since the first announcement.

The decision to conclude the story at all was incredibly bold. The only thing they can be blamed for is the decision to rush to the end. The brevity of the dialog, the whiplash travel across the continent, the apparently unmotivated character pivots, all ties back to that. For all we know, George could have handed them all those plot points nobody likes on a cocktail napkin, intending to flesh them out over 20 years with 500,000 words each. Brilliant, we would have thought. Now he’s just laughing as he goes back to the drawing board.

I also don’t think people understand the monumental task and cost of keeping this cast and crew together going forward. The cast might be criticizing how poorly their character was handled now, but what were they asking for that next season?

I would have stopped production after season 6 and pointed at George whenever anyone asked about more. You want an ending, let that guy commit to it. Anyone who read the books as they were released has had the nagging suspicion in the back of their mind that this wasn’t going to end well since the first announcement.

See below.

This live tweet thread of a D/D Q&A makes me wonder if this is for the best.

Reactions: youhow2 and Legacy
I also don’t think people understand the monumental task and cost of keeping this cast and crew together going forward. The cast might be criticizing how poorly their character was handled now, but what were they asking for that next season?.

Yes there is a cost but HBO were more than happy to give their flagship show 10 seasons whatever the cost. It is D&D wanting to wrap things up which brought us to the weak final season. HBO should have hired new writers or ended it on a high with season 5.

I actually think the backlash to the final season surprised and scared them, and perhaps they don't want to tackle something as contentious as Star Wars right now.