Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst I'd welcome it I don't see enough content for a for Rejects house.

While not impossible, to me it seems like a much more challenging film to turn into a house than Corpses was. There are less scenes that fit that mold.

I do agree with both of you that there's not a ton of iconic scenes/locations in Rejects. Although I'd love to return to the Firefly ranch and run around in the motel. They would likely have to take some liberties with the property.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into how I would budget a trip to Orlando to experience HHN and both parks. I was thinking probably 3-4 nights on property with Express, UTH, and visiting the event every night. I’d be visiting from CA

Again, sorry to keep relying on unverifiable second-hand reports, but it's hard to get across how "shook" Universal was by the low GSATs this year. In conjunction with the regime change, I expect a lot of differences in next year's event.
It's not just that, which is what a few people have been saying.

Fox properties are off the table.
WB properties are in an uncertain limbo.
A lot of older franchises (like Halloween, Hellraiser, and Scream) have weird rights issues and histories that complicate negotiations.

Universal is running out IPs to actually fill that 50/50 split so many people expect.

The game is going to change.

If we're really seeing a heavy shift back to the originals, I'm all for it.

Although.. I imagine the crowds may suffer.. which may lead to a lower budget for HHN... Maybe I don't want this as much as I thought.

If we're really seeing a heavy shift back to the originals, I'm all for it.

Although.. I imagine the crowds may suffer.. which may lead to a lower budget for HHN... Maybe I don't want this as much as I thought.

The thing is though, the IP’s they chose this year, it sounds like, contributed to that low attendance and ratings. So it’s not as simple as IP’s = Crowds.

It's not just that, which is what a few people have been saying.

Fox properties are off the table.
WB properties are in an uncertain limbo.
A lot of older franchises (like Halloween, Hellraiser, and Scream) have weird rights issues and histories that complicate negotiations.

Universal is running out IPs to actually fill that 50/50 split so many people expect.

The game is going to change.

I’d bet hard cash on at least someone in the room thinking about HHN when this deal was inked for all of the above reasons.

Which is exactly Universal's train of thought.

One big IP to carry. A secondary to supplement the marketing.

*thumbs*

29's advertising highlighted Universal Monsters and Stranger things all the time and had a rotating third property they'd highlight (Us or Ghostbusters usually). So three would make sense.

Again, sorry to keep relying on unverifiable second-hand reports, but it's hard to get across how "shook" Universal was by the low GSATs this year. In conjunction with the regime change, I expect a lot of differences in next year's event.

To clarify I think they're surprised by the two bottom houses and how low they were rated, not that the whole event itself had low GSATs.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into how I would budget a trip to Orlando to experience HHN and both parks. I was thinking probably 3-4 nights on property with Express, UTH, and visiting the event every night. I’d be visiting from CA
If you go second week open in Sept you do not need HHN express Just FFP+ (+ adds friday) go multiple nights

I just really hope this means at least tiptoeing towards A&D storyline/icons again, even if it's only every few years.
I don't think it'll get back to "A&D-driven" story lines. Marketing may start flirting with it again, especially since the social media team is starting to come into their own with HHN engagements.

The A&D team within Universal is actually smaller and "thinner" now than it was during the icons years. Kim, Roddy, and Mike developed basically every aspect of the icons and their canons. From my understanding, Roddy was the dreamer, Mike the writer, and Kim the builder. None of those three are there anymore. And while Patrick, Charles, and Blake are fully capable, they're also engaged in other stuff outside of Universal. Blake has his comics and Brewtiful Game, Patrick writes for other elements of Universal. Charles is, I think, the only one who does nothing but HHN (which is why his hand is in more houses). It's 3-4 people designing 10 houses, rather than 6-8 people designing 7 houses. They don't have time.

Marketing may (hopefully) start digging into the back-catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.