Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing to remember ...September was basically dead for all the Disney & Universal parks during and after the hurricane scares. That also may have contributed to soft HHN attendance in September.

Except 2016, 2017, and (to a lesser extent) 2018 all featured a threat from a hurricane and it didn’t impact overall numbers.

I don't think it'll get back to "A&D-driven" story lines. Marketing may start flirting with it again, especially since the social media team is starting to come into their own with HHN engagements.

The A&D team within Universal is actually smaller and "thinner" now than it was during the icons years. Kim, Roddy, and Mike developed basically every aspect of the icons and their canons. From my understanding, Roddy was the dreamer, Mike the writer, and Kim the builder. None of those three are there anymore. And while Patrick, Charles, and Blake are fully capable, they're also engaged in other stuff outside of Universal. Blake has his comics and Brewtiful Game, Patrick writes for other elements of Universal. Charles is, I think, the only one who does nothing but HHN (which is why his hand is in more houses). It's 3-4 people designing 10 houses, rather than 6-8 people designing 7 houses. They don't have time.

Marketing may (hopefully) start digging into the back-catalog.

Yeah, I'm optimistic about baby steps - I know we won't see a Reflections of Fear-like event anytime soon.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into how I would budget a trip to Orlando to experience HHN and both parks. I was thinking probably 3-4 nights on property with Express, UTH, and visiting the event every night. I’d be visiting from CA

Hard to say; we never know prices until June and how big the price jumps will be, or if any ticket options can change. Best bet is to plan using 29's prices, and just add an extra $50 of savings for each kind of ticket you were anticipating on buying.

Stranger Things ain’t happening fam

Probably not. Won't be season 4 since they just finished writing the first episode and I doubt they do a "Best of" since this year featured 2 of the 3 seasons already.

Last edited:
Candyman, a tentpole IP from a third party (IT, NOES - direct adaptation of the original film, Scream), and maybe a house with a few easy-to-get IPs a la The Director/The Usher?

I seriously would not expect Stranger Things to be back.

Stranger Things ain’t happening fam

I assume due to low GSATs? Sorry to beat a dead horse with bringing up ST. I enjoyed the house, but was my least favorite of the 5 I did so I could see that but even without the show not being on the stars of the show all are still everywhere so its not like its dead. Either way though, id be shocked if Candyman isnt one of the few IPs being used.

I assume due to low GSATs? Sorry to beat a dead horse with bringing up ST. I enjoyed the house, but was my least favorite of the 5 I did so I could see that but even without the show not being on the stars of the show all are still everywhere so its not like its dead. Either way though, id be shocked if Candyman isnt one of the few IPs being used.

Also, because I HOPE that A&D and marketing would've learned their lesson from how over people were with TWD and that they don't want a compilation house of stuff they've already seen (s4 won't be out in time).

No, I think it has more to do with not having any more content to adapt. Same thing happened with AHS after 2 years.

Any thoughts on any of the Shudder originals? They’re not affiliated with Disney/Fox and don’t have much in the way of rights issues as far as I can tell.

Unless Universal is worried about pushing away Netflix it seems like a natural fit to me.

Any thoughts on any of the Shudder originals? They’re not affiliated with Disney/Fox and don’t have much in the way of rights issues as far as I can tell.

Unless Universal is worried about pushing away Netflix it seems like a natural fit to me.

I could see them working with Shudder on something. The problem with a lot of the "Shudder Originals" is that, they don't really own all of rights. To the best of my knowledge, they basically just buy the distribution rights to them.

That's different for things like Creepshow and the Joe Bob Briggs content, of course.

I think the only thing that’s really detracting me from Invisible Man is the subject matter of Whannell’s film. The titular Invisible Man is allegedly going to be the remnants/spirit of an abusive boyfriend. I’m confident that the movie will handle this subject well, but I’m less confident with translating it to a house.
Bumping this again because of the trailer’s release, and I’m standing by my point even more so. Making this into a house would be kinda tasteless.

I don't think we'll be seeing any decrease in IPs any time soon, even if so many are off the table due to ownership challenges. Look at the park itself, off memory (ie, probably wrong) Rip Rocket is the only ride I can think of that isn't based off a TV or Movie IP, but it could be argued it's a music IP-based ride.

I think people that go to the park specifically expect movie based rides and attractions. I, like most super fans who go every year, really enjoy the originals but let's be honest, we're going no matter what. In order to keep attracting new guests, they need to give them something they want to see. "Scarecrows in a field" or "Mountain Yeti" sound awesome to us knowing full well what Universal is capable of and what they have done in the past, but to Joe Consumer that sounds boring and generic. Sounds like something their local hay ride down the road at home has. "The corn maze down the road has scary scare crows and only costs $35."

But something that has the hottest horror property of the time (Walking Dead, American Horror Story, Stranger Things, etc) or all time classics (The Shining, Exorcist, American Werewolf in London, etc) is worth packing your bags and making a visit to Orlando to attend.

This 100 times this

I really do hope we really see a shift to more original content over IPs. Don't get me wrong, IPs have a place at the event, they always have. But I hope to see better theming and original content with the only 2 or 3 IPs. And of course less IPs may mean less money spent on aquiring them and as mentioned already, hopefully means more money into making everything that matters, better.

Status
Not open for further replies.