Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've mentioned this before, but Invisible Man as a whole could potentially work as part of a house. However, having a house based on the Whannell adaptation (a movie that is primarily centered around domestic abuse) would be tacky and tasteless. If Invisible Man was to be featured, it would be the original Claude Rains version.

I understand concern, but look at your avatar--didn't stop them there.

I understand concern, but look at your avatar--didn't stop them there.
I understand your point, but there are also some important differences. The Shining featured a recovering alcoholic going insane and devolving from a mild-mannered family man into a monster. Although Jack is clearly the villain as the story progresses, you are supposed to have a little bit of sympathy towards him because none of this would've happened if the spirits of the Overlook didn't corrupt him. They touch on this a bit in Doctor Sleep, as well. And if you're referring to the horrific treatment of Shelley Duvall, then that's an entirely different conversation. You're not supposed to feel any sympathy or remorse for the 2020 Invisible Man because he is seen as a villain both before and after he becomes invisible. His entire goal for becoming invisible in the first place is to continue abusing and tormenting his ex girlfriend.

I could be wrong, however. This is at least my own interpretation. I admit to not being entirely familiar with the Invisible Man as other Universal Monsters so if I'm incorrect on the lore, that's on me.

I’m so confused on the idea of a full Invisible Man house. I...don’t see how that would work even with the original version. It’s the Invisible Man. Half of it is a dude wrapped up in a coat, and then...moving items?

Good film, I don’t see anyway it works as a full house though.

I understand your point, but there are also some important differences. The Shining featured a recovering alcoholic going insane and devolving from a mild-mannered family man into a monster. Although Jack is clearly the villain as the story progresses, you are supposed to have a little bit of sympathy towards him because none of this would've happened if the spirits of the Overlook didn't corrupt him. They touch on this a bit in Doctor Sleep, as well. And if you're referring to the horrific treatment of Shelley Duvall, then that's an entirely different conversation. You're not supposed to feel any sympathy or remorse for the 2020 Invisible Man because he is seen as a villain both before and after he becomes invisible. His entire goal for becoming invisible in the first place is to continue abusing and tormenting his ex girlfriend.

I could be wrong, however. This is at least my own interpretation. I admit to not being entirely familiar with the Invisible Man as other Universal Monsters so if I'm incorrect on the lore, that's on me.
That's true of the book, but as Nicholson plays him in the movie, he's insane to begin with. It's actually one of my biggest issues with the movie.

I agree with him on just about every point on this one. My biggest issue is that Kubrick is a great visual artist, but he doesn't know beans from shinola about human relationships, which is what the book was really about.
I think that's part of the reason Flanagan was brought on board for Doctor Sleep. He was able to touch on the human elements of The Shining really well without even really adapting it. That's probably why King was happy with it as well. I do agree with both you and OhHaiInternet95 though; Jack in the film was always kind of crazy, but that crazy just progressed throughout the film.

Steering this back on the subject of spec though (I don't wanna get chastised by the mods lmao), Invisible Man can work as part of a mashup house, but he can't carry his own. Maybe a scarezone could work, but even then that would be kind of ridiculous.

Maybe I'm just dumb or really naïve...

But would Jordan Peele's Candyman really be a big enough IP to anchor an event? Even on a casual level.

I'll say one thing to keep in mind when thinking about top IPs and crowd draw this year.

There is NOTHING as big as Stranger Things in the genre right now.

That doesn't meant that there's nothing else that can draw a crowd. It just means that those crowds, and the usage of the IP will pale in comparison to what we saw with ST the last two years.

The only thing even close right now is IT and, to a lesser extent, The Conjuring universe. Both of which are dark horses if you ask my opinion.

So, just because some of these may seem like not big deals, they may be some of the biggest deals that Universal can lock down.

I'll say one thing to keep in mind when thinking about top IPs and crowd draw this year.

There is NOTHING as big as Stranger Things in the genre right now.

That doesn't meant that there's nothing else that can draw a crowd. It just means that those crowds, and the usage of the IP will pale in comparison to what we saw with ST the last two years.

The only thing even close right now is IT and, to a lesser extent, The Conjuring universe. Both of which are dark horses if you ask my opinion.

So, just because some of these may seem like not big deals, they may be some of the biggest deals that Universal can lock down.
Yes, nothing as big, but it has crested the hill and is picking up downwards speed.

Even It is probably not as big as It would've been in 28.

Yeah, at this point if WB is willing to rent out their IPs (huge "if" there), I'd think Joker/Arkham would be the big get, followed by Freddie/Jason, followed by It.

Of course, both Joker and It would also present the problem of an evil clown at an event I'm still fairly certain will feature Universal's own home-grown evil clown.

Status
Not open for further replies.