Disney+ | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney+

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Been messing around with VPNs trying to get this in the UK.

I figured I could use PayPal but the billing address won’t allow it. Tried getting an Apple gift card to do but that’s even more difficult.

I was considering just asking somebody here to create me an account and I’ll transfer the money but that sounds sketchy.

Sooooooooo yeah this is going to be a major success for them. None of the marvel shows have even arrived yet lol

The number is misleading because it doesn't say if its including the free version users and free trial members since there is a 7 day free trial.

I would wait to see results after the 3 year deals are up and how many stay on the service and how much churn.

The number is misleading because it doesn't say if its including the free version users and free trial members since there is a 7 day free trial.

I would wait to see results after the 3 year deals are up and how many stay on the service and how much churn.
Very few even knew about the 3-year deal (it was only offered for 3 days and you had to jump through hoops to get it). It’s the 7-day trials users that will be the bigger indicator.

Yeah, the key is how many are paid subscribers. You also have the free Disney+ being given to Verizon Unlimited customers and new Fios customers.
I believe Cast Members also have the option to trade in their main gate passes for free Disney+ subscription.

So lots of variables in play, but all of these deals are to get people hooked. These deals won’t be around in a few years.

Disney+ doesn't work with Chromecasts built into Vizio TVs.

Heed my advice: don't buy a Vizio "smart" TV. The 'smart' parts of them are incredibly dumb

Yeah, the key is how many are paid subscribers. You also have the free Disney+ being given to Verizon Unlimited customers and new Fios customers.

ok.

just because someone gets something for free doesn’t mean they take time out of their day to sign up and download it. If they weren’t interested, they wouldn’t bother.
Sometimes I think some of you forget just how popular Disney , Marvel, Star Wars, etc. is.

This isn’t CBS All Access this is Disney, to think it wasn’t going to take off (especially at the low monthly cost) was just more biased ignorance

With how fast physical media is dying and all the movies and special features available on Disney+, how long do you guys really think it takes before Disney ultimately decides to end physical media distribution altogether? There's virtually no reason for it now and it's been dying anyway well before D+ and all of these new streaming services have come about. I think within 5 years max, we're gonna see movies go from theaters straight onto streaming platforms, completely skipping the physical release stage of it all.

With how fast physical media is dying and all the movies and special features available on Disney+, long do you guys really think it takes before Disney ultimately decides to end physical media distribution altogether? There's virtually no reason for it now and it's been dying anyway well before D+ and all of these new streaming services have come about. I think within 5 years max, we're gonna see movies go from theaters straight onto streaming platforms, completely skipping the physical release stage of it all.

I think there's still a place for physical media. The question lies more to the subject of the future of standard DVD, as I can easily see that finally kicking the door to eliminate costs of additional disks for that kind of format.

Setting up Disney+..and yeah, I can easily see the appeal of the service, especially from the back-catelog. Being able to easily just pop in things like the original Tron or certain Marvel films that I don't have digitally, is a big thing.

I think there's still a place for physical media. The question lies more to the subject of the future of standard DVD, as I can easily see that finally kicking the door to eliminate costs of additional disks for that kind of format.
I get people like collecting it (I have the entire Infinity Saga on Blu-Ray), but the fact of the matter is fewer and fewer people are buying Blu-Ray. Will it ever go away in full? Just like CDs, Cassettes, and Vinyl, it very likely won't. But the feeling I get is production levels will go way down to meet the lesser demand.

I get people like collecting it (I have the entire Infinity Saga on Blu-Ray), but the fact of the matter is fewer and fewer people are buying Blu-Ray. Will it ever go away in full? Just like CDs, Cassettes, and Vinyl, it very likely won't. But the feeling I get is production levels will go way down to meet the lesser demand.

I think in the near future we'll start seeing some titles never make it to the format... maybe something that underperformed in theaters. But I don't think Disney will want to miss out on the revenue generated in that window from theatrical to streaming. We'll likely keep seeing digital release first $$.. then the physical release $$.. and THEN a few months down the line, Disney+.

For most people it's about quality.

Streaming is great and convenient but it still lacks in quality compared to bluray. Bluray can transfer 40Mbps for 1080p and Netflix can stream 4k at a 3rd of that bitrate.

ok.

just because someone gets something for free doesn’t mean they take time out of their day to sign up and download it. If they weren’t interested, they wouldn’t bother.
Sometimes I think some of you forget just how popular Disney , Marvel, Star Wars, etc. is.

This isn’t CBS All Access this is Disney, to think it wasn’t going to take off (especially at the low monthly cost) was just more biased ignorance

Yo dawg this is about creating a sustainable new business for Disney. Offering millions of free or discounted won’t lead to that business being successful. Disney’s just underwriting that popularity right now.

Now yes half the battle is getting those accounts and CC signed up. And many or most of those accounts could transfer over to paid accounts. But that’s not what this metric is showing. The most famous example of this being an issue is MoviePass, which I’m not saying will be what D+ becomes (it won’t) but instead an example of why the pure number of sign ups doesn’t matter.

The service will be judged based in a year or more once Disney’s write off launch costs are over.

And to stop this before it is brought up: again I’m not saying I think this will be a failure.

I think we won't really know how successful this service is until next year when the Verizon subscriptions are up. Hell, the only reason my family got it was because we get it for free for a year. If the majority of Verizon users end up purchasing a subscription next year, then we'll get a better idea of how profitable it is.

Do we know if Verizon has ever released how many people have an unlimited data plan? That would give an idea of how many Verizon customers are eligible for the Disney+ deal.

Disney+ doesn't work with Chromecasts built into Vizio TVs.

Heed my advice: don't buy a Vizio "smart" TV. The 'smart' parts of them are incredibly dumb
I'm sure I'm not telling you anything that you don't know, but you're better off using a stick or box than the native apps anyway. Better performance generally.

Reactions: MrRoamer
I think within 5 years max, we're gonna see movies go from theaters straight onto streaming platforms, completely skipping the physical release stage of it all.

As @Scott W. said, until digital can match the quality of physical (in particular the 4k), there will still be a place for physical. But the numbers will constantly shrink and it will be less and less as technology eventually will catch up and/or the niche quality setup becomes to small to matter.

But as for releasing straight to streaming? Zero chance that happens in the foreseeable future. They’re not going to give up the revenue stream to purchase or rent films from amazon/iTunes/etc.

When Avatar 2 is released in 2025-2030, I fully believe it will go theater, available for purchase and rent via 3rd party options (or D+ will have a rent section), then available on Disney+.

Reactions: Clive and belloq87