Disney+ | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney+

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
For most people it's about quality.

Streaming is great and convenient but it still lacks in quality compared to bluray. Bluray can transfer 40Mbps for 1080p and Netflix can stream 4k at a 3rd of that bitrate.
People care less about the “Big Screen” experience. A lot of people watch on Phones, iPads or laptops. Maybe that changes with VR or newer ways to consume content, but I have several big screens collecting dust while I stream everything on my ipad.

Reactions: RevFreako
With how fast physical media is dying and all the movies and special features available on Disney+, how long do you guys really think it takes before Disney ultimately decides to end physical media distribution altogether? There's virtually no reason for it now and it's been dying anyway well before D+ and all of these new streaming services have come about. I think within 5 years max, we're gonna see movies go from theaters straight onto streaming platforms, completely skipping the physical release stage of it all.

As long as there is money to be made from people like me (who are increasingly becoming a niche market, yes, but also one that is willing to pay a premium for physical media), I believe there will be some physical options.

There are many boutique Blu-ray labels (Criterion, Shout/Scream Factory, Arrow, Kino, Indicator, Severin, and lots more) that speak to a market being there and viable. The only question is whether or not the major studios will continue to operate home video departments, or instead license properties out to the boutique labels.

Physical media will certainly become increasingly expensive if it's all dependent on licensing.

For most people it's about quality.

Streaming is great and convenient but it still lacks in quality compared to bluray. Bluray can transfer 40Mbps for 1080p and Netflix can stream 4k at a 3rd of that bitrate.

Quality and availability. There is absolutely nothing preventing various licensing contracts changing and/or expiring based on the whims of business people. What's in your streaming queue one day may not be there the next.

What's on my shelf today is going to be there tomorrow. And some of the things on my shelves are not available on any streaming service.

People care less about the “Big Screen” experience. A lot of people watch on Phones, iPads or laptops. Maybe that changes with VR or newer ways to consume content, but I have several big screens collecting dust while I stream everything on my ipad.

When I said most people, I meant the people still buying hard copies. They care most about quality.

Even if Disney don't make a ton from this, they're not going to lose money but the analytics they're going to gain is incalculable.

You have a family with Disney+ who watch Frozen on repeat daily, next thing they have an email to the Disney store with a 10% off voucher for an Elsa dress. You have a family with Disney+ who watch Cars on repeat daily, next thing they have an email informing them about Carsland. You have a family with Disney+ who watch the Little Mermaid, next thing they have an email with an offer to stay at Art of Animation.

The data collected could also result in new attractions or meet and greets appearing because of excess popularity previously unseen.

So they might not make a ton from the streaming service but they can more than make up for it in merchandise, park and hotel visits and the more people watch, the more they get invested in the Disney lifestyle. It's a gateway drug that you're paying for.

Reactions: RevFreako
When I said most people, I meant the people still buying hard copies. They care most about quality.

Even if Disney don't make a ton from this, they're not going to lose money but the analytics they're going to gain is incalculable.

You have a family with Disney+ who watch Frozen on repeat daily, next thing they have an email to the Disney store with a 10% off voucher for an Elsa dress. You have a family with Disney+ who watch Cars on repeat daily, next thing they have an email informing them about Carsland. You have a family with Disney+ who watch the Little Mermaid, next thing they have an email with an offer to stay at Art of Animation.

The data collected could also result in new attractions or meet and greets appearing because of excess popularity previously unseen.

So they might not make a ton from the streaming service but they can more than make up for it in merchandise, park and hotel visits and the more people watch, the more they get invested in the Disney lifestyle. It's a gateway drug that you're paying for.

And that's not a bad thing.

I never had any doubts that Simpsons wouldn’t have 4:3 support eventually.

Disney clearly couldn’t get all of the engineering work they wanted done by launch. There needs to be custom engineering done for Simpsons 4:3 and there was no reason to make it a priority for launch.

I’m assuming we’ll see greater integration between the Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu apps too. One app to rule the three. Probably a migration from Hulu accounts to Disney.go.com accounts too

Reactions: alomar and Nick
Also for those sharing passwords to help family, Disney is definitely putting a stop to that.
I keep hearing this, but i've yet to be convinced it's actually feasible for them to do it. How can Disney stop someone from logging into an account?

I keep hearing this, but i've yet to be convinced it's actually feasible for them to do it. How can Disney stop someone from logging into an account?

You know how when netflix can limit the number of screens you are watching. Disney+ can do it in a similar way and add intwo factor authentication (is this really you, text a code to your phone to verify your account). It places hardships on those who share accounts.

Hulu already started it by logging your IP address so if you watch at hotel etc, you have to change you home location which you can only do 4 times.

Reactions: Nick
I never had any doubts that Simpsons wouldn’t have 4:3 support eventually.

Disney clearly couldn’t get all of the engineering work they wanted done by launch. There needs to be custom engineering done for Simpsons 4:3 and there was no reason to make it a priority for launch.

Lol @ “There needs to be custom engineering done for Simpsons 4:3”

They’re fixing it because of the outrage. Nothing more.

Also for those sharing passwords to help family, Disney is definitely putting a stop to that.
The head of their digital department already came out and addressed it. 4 screens at a time with no intention to do anything differently. Said they have backend protections based on algorithm that they could activate but aren’t planning to if it’s not necessary.

I don’t think they care as long as you’re under 4 screens. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze and PR mess. Two factor would be awful. Simply awful.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
I wonder how much this will be 3 years. I'm going to guess $15-20 for just disney+ and $30-40 for the bundle. You have to account for cable going away and them needing to replace the profits for it. Maybe they cut down on content spend as more rights go back to the service.

I wonder how much this will be 3 years. I'm going to guess $15-20 for just disney+ and $30-40 for the bundle. You have to account for cable going away and them needing to replace the profits for it. Maybe they cut down on content spend as more rights go back to the service.
I doubt it'll be anywhere near $20 in just 3 years. I think it'll be somewhere around $12-$15 by that time.

Hulu with Live TV just jumped from $45 to $55/month though, so Disney clearly isn't being shy about large increases with their streaming services.

I doubt it'll be anywhere near $20 in just 3 years. I think it'll be somewhere around $12-$15 by that time.

Hulu with Live TV just jumped from $45 to $55/month though, so Disney clearly isn't being shy about large increases with their streaming services.
Espn gets around $8 a month alone from cable per sub. Replacing that revenue stream will be key or they will lose money on the rights fees. It will be interesting to see if they try to subsidize it with larger fees on disney plus/espn stand alone to keep the bundle relatively cheap.

Curious how the membership will look after Mandalorian is over. Disney should make quick work to replace it with another series, possibly marvel related.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Curious how the membership will look after Mandalorian is over. Disney should make quick work to replace it with another series, possibly marvel related.
The first marvel series isn’t coming until Fall 2020, just before The Eternals.

There will still be about 30 new series and 15 original movies next year. Obviously nothing as high profile as a Star Wars or Marvel project though.