Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Six Flags Magic Mountain

Well if you know what you’re doing you’ll never have to wait very long, now that the park is open 365 days. Most of us have learned when and when not to go.

Edit: I heard today that park’s goal is to get the coaster operational, and that they are by no means done with theming elements.

Really? It's the park's goal to get it operational? I think that was always the goal from the day they started. I don't think they built this to never be operational. (Heavy on sarcasm). Just thought your post was funny.

And yes, any weekday in off season (meaning not summer) will always be a walk on.

Sometimes I think we're being a bit too picky here. We're getting a new ride in a section of the park that, aside from Apocalypse, has been neglected for almost 30 years, and all many can do is complain there aren't trees. I get there is a need for trees/shade, but this is SFMM... roller coasters is what they do, try not to expect a lot more and enjoy the ride. Literally. Let's be real; if there were full grown palm trees right in the middle, kids would be climbing all over them and destroying them. I can see why they'd be cut.

And if we are going to be nit-picky, what happened to the additional building in the upper right corner of the concept art? There's two; one I figure is the current food option, but I have no idea what the other one was supposed to be (where the seating is now, possibly display cars later), and it's clearly not there now. What was it even supposed to be?

Sometimes I think we're being a bit too picky here. We're getting a new ride in a section of the park that, aside from Apocalypse, has been neglected for almost 30 years, and all many can do is complain there aren't trees. I get there is a need for trees/shade, but this is SFMM... roller coasters is what they do, try not to expect a lot more and enjoy the ride. Literally. Let's be real; if there were full grown palm trees right in the middle, kids would be climbing all over them and destroying them. I can see why they'd be cut.

And if we are going to be nit-picky, what happened to the additional building in the upper right corner of the concept art? There's two; one I figure is the current food option, but I have no idea what the other one was supposed to be (where the seating is now, possibly display cars later), and it's clearly not there now. What was it even supposed to be?

you are entitled to your opinion and enjoying a part that goes by low standards. But from someone who grew up going to the park in the 70s and 80s, the park used to look a lot better. Let’s be honest, they are cutting corners now because they are most likely way over budget on this project. Just excepting it for what it is, Magic Mountain will continue to cut corners. And that is why the park looks like crap.

you are entitled to your opinion and enjoying a part that goes by low standards. But from someone who grew up going to the park in the 70s and 80s, the park used to look a lot better. Let’s be honest, they are cutting corners now because they are most likely way over budget on this project. Just excepting it for what it is, Magic Mountain will continue to cut corners. And that is why the park looks like crap.

No offense but youre just setting yourself up for disappointment if you think the park is going to look like it did more than three decades ago. I just dont see the need for constant bickering if the park is at least attempting to refurbish outdated areas (and this is the second to last one before going to Baja Ridge) even if corners are cut. Even then the park of the 70s/ 80s was just unthemed fairground attractions... all the complaints feel like grasping at straws when we should know what MM's status quo is and should only be surprised when they surpass it, not go below it.

Last edited:

Depends on how you define "low standards". If you mean in terms of theming, sure, they're definitely in the lower tier by far. No argument here, and I would concede that Disney/Knott's/Universal are superior parks overall, no question. But in terms amount, variety, and intensity of ride, it's a pretty high standard--probably second only to Cedar Point, and best by far in SoCal in terms of extreme thrills. If I'm looking for intense speed and thrills, Twisted Colossus wins hands down against Space Mountain.

I mean, don't get me wrong... I'd totally love to see a beautiful looking, fully landscaped SFMM. But they're in a lose/lose situation here with both Disney/Universal/Knott's about an hour away... no matter what they do (say, for instance, they did put in all those tress), people are still going to shrug and say, "Eh, not as good as Disney/Universal/Knott's."

SFMM knows its lane and stays in it. In a market where it's competition are three of the top family/theme parks in the world, it has to offer something different the other parks don't have: extreme thrills and a cheap ticket price. And that comes at a cost of little to no theming, and a focus on the physical ride experience.

Depends on how you define "low standards". If you mean in terms of theming, sure, they're definitely in the lower tier by far. No argument here, and I would concede that Disney/Knott's/Universal are superior parks overall, no question. But in terms amount, variety, and intensity of ride, it's a pretty high standard--probably second only to Cedar Point, and best by far in SoCal in terms of extreme thrills. If I'm looking for intense speed and thrills, Twisted Colossus wins hands down against Space Mountain.

I mean, don't get me wrong... I'd totally love to see a beautiful looking, fully landscaped SFMM. But they're in a lose/lose situation here with both Disney/Universal/Knott's about an hour away... no matter what they do (say, for instance, they did put in all those tress), people are still going to shrug and say, "Eh, not as good as Disney/Universal/Knott's."

SFMM knows its lane and stays in it. In a market where it's competition are three of the top family/theme parks in the world, it has to offer something different the other parks don't have: extreme thrills and a cheap ticket price. And that comes at a cost of little to no theming, and a focus on the physical ride experience.
Good point. But my point is MM used to be one of the best landscaped parks. But recently it has been on a path of taking out landscaping. Just look where log jammer used to be. And many trees around Ninja taken out (yes I know one fell on the tracks). Many around Gold Rusher and Crazanity also. MM even switched to an outside vendor to maintain the landscape.

MM has just cut so many corners in past years. They obviously market to a class that doesn't give a crap about appearance and doesn't mind rides that don't operate at full capacity either.

Sorry I expect a little more. But I guess when you give the park away for $80 a year with free parking, you get what you get.

1) Again, the ride isn’t open yet. Can we at least wait until we walk through it for the first time before we put on our negative Nancy hats? There hasn’t even been an opening date announced yet. Come on people...

2) Again... it’s CONCEPT ART. How many times must that be said. It’s simply not going to look exactly like it did there, and was NEVER GOING TO. It would be great if everything was 100 percent represented, but SFMM is under no obligation to not change their mind based on time or money constraints, or maybe what they feel just doesn’t work in actuality.

The park isn’t cutting corners...as there was never going to be a corner to cut.

Last edited:
Sorry I expect a little more. But I guess when you give the park away for $80 a year with free parking, you get what you get.

That is it right there. I have high expectation for Disney but know what I am getting from MM based on what I pay. I don't really care about teaming at MM it is more about the rides for me. Disney on the other hand gets judged differently. There I expect more.

That is it right there. I have high expectation for Disney but know what I am getting from MM based on what I pay. I don't really care about teaming at MM it is more about the rides for me. Disney on the other hand gets judged differently. There I expect more.

Agreed. Six Flags is always going to do the bare minimum in theming and landscaping. Even when they do a great job , it’s a great job by Six Flags standards lol. That’s just the way it is.

I am happy that we’re getting an actual station house rather than the crap they threw together for Full Throttle.

Looking at the video and concept art, I don't think that is a planter for trees, but will house supports for the awning overhead. Sure there will be some bushes, but that's it.

In person it looks nice. They need some shade for sure. I tried some sopes from twin charged Tacos. Decent for MM but nothing to write home about. I think the area and ride will be a nice addition to the park. Hopefully it opens by next month.

Woah they sell sopes? Not gonna lie their HITP Tamales are actually not that shabby, they always hire locals to make them. It feels like they HAVE to have good food of hispanic culture lol.